This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

My cousin wants to go somewhere over her spring break (likely 8-9 days). Her suggestions that interest me: Norway, Lyon (and maybe Geneva), Vancouver, Montreal.

Anywhere else close worth adding to Lyon-Geneva?
    Worth going Trondheim and Tromso in addition to Bergen in Norway?

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      My cousin wants to go somewhere over her spring break (likely 8-9 days). Her suggestions that interest me: Norway, Lyon (and maybe Geneva), Vancouver, Montreal.

Anywhere else close worth adding to Lyon-Geneva?
      Worth going Trondheim and Tromso in addition to Bergen in Norway?
      The whole west coast fjordlands of Norway are worth visiting. One of the coolest, most scenic places I have ever seen. Fly into Bergen, and visit there and up to Trondheim, with a combination of water and land travel would be an amazing trip.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        The whole west coast fjordlands of Norway are worth visiting. One of the coolest, most scenic places I have ever seen. Fly into Bergen, and visit there and up to Trondheim, with a combination of water and land travel would be an amazing trip.
        I agree with that. Norway is fantastic, but it does get dark pretty early, except in june of course. I was stationed in Bergen for a while.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Much more local but if you want to watch the demise of the Tappan Zee Bridge this Saturday, here ya go...

https://amp.lohud.com/amp/2501642002
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Much more local but if you want to watch the demise of the Tappan Zee Bridge this Saturday, here ya go...

https://amp.lohud.com/amp/2501642002
            Interestingly, I actually had a small part in the construction of the new replacement bridge. Got to visit the site a couple years ago on a visit out to New York.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

We want to see the lights, so Tromso is a must. I'm not sure we have time to fit all this in. I'd like to hike Pulpit Rock also. Two weeks would be way better. I'd prefer not to drive in Norway in March, so we're at the liberty of trains and planes. I don't think we'd have time to take the Hurtigruten, but that would be really cool. I keep typing up different itineraries, but nothing seems to work out without being very rushed.

Comment

We want to see the lights, so Tromso is a must. I'm not sure we have time to fit all this in. I'd like to hike Pulpit Rock also. Two weeks would be way better. I'd prefer not to drive in Norway in March, so we're at the liberty of trains and planes. I don't think we'd have time to take the Hurtigruten, but that would be really cool. I keep typing up different itineraries, but nothing seems to work out without being very rushed.
                We drove in the areas around Bergen (Bergen-Norheimsund-Kvanndal-Flam-Bergen) in the winter, with no issues. You could also consider a flight to Tromso. We did a quick puddle-jumper flight in Norway, and it was super cheap and easy. Then you would be able to cut down travel time by quite a bit.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I lived for about three months in Norway, but it's been awhile ago. If I were going back, on a vacation, I'd basically want to catch Oslo and then the coast. The interior of Norway is fine, but it's not a lot different than driving through, say, Montana.

Oslo, only because it's the capital and it does have some interesting museums and sights to see. It also has a really good public transportation system in the City, as you expect in most European Cities.

I'd probably fly into Oslo, spend that day and the next touring the City, then catch a train to Bergen. It's an extremely scenic train ride and maybe lasts about 8 hours. The tickets weren't that expensive for a one way trip, maybe $70 U.S., but I'm sure they've gone up a little. Then I'd catch a ferry tour out of Bergen. I don't think you have to do the big cruises which can last 10-14 days. I think there are some "round trip" day cruises or perhaps a cruise that goes up to Stavanger or Trondheim, etc... We did one up through the Geiranger Fjord. It just didn't take that long.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

We drove in the areas around Bergen (Bergen-Norheimsund-Kvanndal-Flam-Bergen) in the winter, with no issues. You could also consider a flight to Tromso. We did a quick puddle-jumper flight in Norway, and it was super cheap and easy. Then you would be able to cut down travel time by quite a bit.
                    We are planning on flying to and from Tromso already. I think we might try to make it work (although the hike is out, but I'm ok with that).

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I lived for about three months in Norway, but it's been awhile ago. If I were going back, on a vacation, I'd basically want to catch Oslo and then the coast. The interior of Norway is fine, but it's not a lot different than driving through, say, Montana.

Oslo, only because it's the capital and it does have some interesting museums and sights to see. It also has a really good public transportation system in the City, as you expect in most European Cities.

I'd probably fly into Oslo, spend that day and the next touring the City, then catch a train to Bergen. It's an extremely scenic train ride and maybe lasts about 8 hours. The tickets weren't that expensive for a one way trip, maybe $70 U.S., but I'm sure they've gone up a little. Then I'd catch a ferry tour out of Bergen. I don't think you have to do the big cruises which can last 10-14 days. I think there are some "round trip" day cruises or perhaps a cruise that goes up to Stavanger or Trondheim, etc... We did one up through the Geiranger Fjord. It just didn't take that long.
                    Flying into Oslo is cheaper, and I read lots of good things about the Oslo-Bergen train... but not sure the time will work out. It depends how long we want to spend in Bergen and Tromso.

Right now the tentative plan is to fly to Tromso from wherever we land, stay a few days, then fly to Trondheim, maybe stay 1 day, and take the ferry to Bergen, and stay there a few days. Could maybe take the train back to Oslo.

Comment

We are planning on flying to and from Tromso already. I think we might try to make it work (although the hike is out, but I'm ok with that).

Flying into Oslo is cheaper, and I read lots of good things about the Oslo-Bergen train... but not sure the time will work out. It depends how long we want to spend in Bergen and Tromso.

Right now the tentative plan is to fly to Tromso from wherever we land, stay a few days, then fly to Trondheim, maybe stay 1 day, and take the ferry to Bergen, and stay there a few days. Could maybe take the train back to Oslo.
                      That proposed itinerary sounds like it would be a good plan, to me. Oslo is a cool city, but in my opinion, it was completely overshadowed by the fjordlands.

Just an FYI, there are direct flights on Norwegian Air, from New York to Bergen, and they're usually very reasonably priced. I just picked a 1 week trip, in mid-March, and you could do it for under $700 round trip.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Just took the Oslo Bergen train twice in May (was cheaper to fly back out of Oslo). It is a great ride. As others have said here, I would second that Bergen and the fjords are the place to spend the majority of your time. Oslo is good but if you take a 10 day trip, I would not spend more than 2 days there if that.
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                          Just took the Oslo Bergen train twice in May (was cheaper to fly back out of Oslo). It is a great ride. As others have said here, I would second that Bergen and the fjords are the place to spend the majority of your time. Oslo is good but if you take a 10 day trip, I would not spend more than 2 days there if that.
                          Has anybody here done the Bergen to Trondheim trip by water?

Comment

Can anybody make a recommendation of what to see in Dubai? I prefer historical stuff which doesn't seem to be the norm here. I booked a safari but since I am flying Emirates with a stopover in Dubai decided to spend a few days on the way home to break up the long flight and check out someplace I have never been to. I've never seen so many top attraction in a city with the word mall in them. I would like to go up in the big tower, but $60 seems like a lot of money and it says to buy in advance or you will wait in line for hours. Is the visa situation just show up and pay? I don't have to get it in advance?
                            Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

mookie??
                              I think mookie is there currently

Comment

VOA is show up and free stamp for US citizens.

Malls are huge and full of stuff. Aquarium and Olympic size ice rink in Dubai mall, along with the tower. Skiing in mall of the emirates. Mookie like the walking through the gold souk in deira and the old Dubai across the creek from there.
                                Tower depends. We walked up and bought tickets at 3:30p yesterday and went right up, no line. When we were leaving at 530p there was a line (fri and sat are weekend).
                                Heard people go out in the desert for 4 wheel driving. Can have dinner cruise on the creek. Beach. Hotels serve. Metro works very well to move you around. Friday is holy day so be aware nothing really moves until after noon (this includes metro).
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X