• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    MN ain't dancing, so stop with that.

I am so beyond pi*ed.

I'll just summarize my feelings as such: **** ****** ***hole ****sucker mother****** and a few other choice words.
    I thought you were one of the few people saying you would prefer they didn't make it to increase odds Lucia is fired? And how do others who said this after losing to Ped. State feel about the likelihood we don't see another Gopher game this year?

I still don't think a Lucia firing is automatic. Maybe no contract renewal, so one more year for him to retire. But I just don't think all the performance indicators point to his firing, given this is not football or bouncyball where the stakes are higher and the pool of potential coaches greater. I guess only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      I thought you were one of the few people saying you would prefer they didn't make it to increase odds Lucia is fired? And how do others who said this after losing to Ped. State feel about the likelihood we don't see another Gopher game this year?

I still don't think a Lucia firing is automatic. Maybe no contract renewal, so one more year for him to retire. But I just don't think all the performance indicators point to his firing, given this is not football or bouncyball where the stakes are higher and the pool of potential coaches greater. I guess only time will tell.
      I can still be mad about it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You can’t be made about your preferred outcome.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If this means that tDon is gone, then I'm less mad.

It's more the way we got knocked out...I mean ALL those things that happened last night....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

If this means that tDon is gone, then I'm less mad.

It's more the way we got knocked out...I mean ALL those things that happened last night....
            "All those things" were beyond the Gophers' control. But losing their last four games to Penn State, different story.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              CM staying another year or bolting has voices on both sides > ARTICLE.
              From the ARTICLE: "While the Edina, Minnesota native has arguably already shown enough to turn pro, the only real concern relates to his lack of strength."
              We've got enough guys from Edina, no need to mistakenly add another.

Comment

Goaltending wasn’t a debacle, Robson was above league average and Schierhorn averaged out to around league average. The problem was the 45th ranked offense, even with UND’s blue line that probably doesn’t get it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post

Hes missed the NCAA’s 5 times in ten years w.t.f would he have to do to get fired from maybe the easiest place to recruit and coach college hockey?

I assume you want him fired but just don’t think he will be by the admin? Or do you legitimately not want it to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    Two things have me holding out hope for him staying another year. First, he hasn't shown an inclination for trying to jump to the next level as fast as possible as so many other top players have. Second, Physical strength is one of the main areas he needs to improve, and the college schedule allows for more strength work throughout the season than levels with more games spread throughout the week. Even with these considerations, I am not sure I believe the odds are even at 50%. (And what were those odds the Gophs make the NCAA a couple weeks ago?)
                    Develop strength and heft, have a more successful (team) season in college, and not get the living s**t beat out of him.

There are good reasons for him to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Hes missed the NCAA’s 5 times in ten years w.t.f would he have to do to get fired from maybe the easiest place to recruit and coach college hockey?

I assume you want him fired but just don’t think he will be by the admin? Or do you legitimately not want it to happen?
                      I was mainly talking about the fact some people assumed not making the tourney makes it a no-brainer firing. I am not so sure. 1st - As Steve O showed, his recent stats are comparable to other schools that have recruiting advantages. (I have written several posts stating why I think the change in recruiting paradigm means more parity in the league and less consistent success for teams like MN.) 2. Niche sports like hockey don't have the history of having coaches fired unless they have done nothing. 'Things being stale' isn't normally enough of a reason. (Granted, MN is not like every other school in this regard, but still think hockey compared to basketball or football, even here, allows more patience.) 3. It is not like there is a consensus choice for a coach, or coaches that will clearly be better. There are a lot of coaches with potential, but most don't show what Lucia did before he was hired by MN. 4. The history of what Lucia has achieved has historically, in hockey, earned a coach a right to go out on own terms , or at least make it look that way. 5. So why wouldn't they push for him to 'retire' after this next year, when his contract is up instead of firing now?

I am somewhat indifferent on a Lucia hiring or firing. I think this year everyone feels this team badly underachieved so it feels like a change is needed. But I don't think it is realistic to expect this program to be as dominant as it was in the early to mid-2000's given the current recruiting scene. And I think this year's team suffered partly due to a sub-par D corp, despite the fact they had several drafted players expected to be better than they were (that recruiting early issue). Also, team effort was all over the map. It isn't all on the coaches when players don't give full effort. CM didn't seem to take shifts off, but a lot of other players did. If the effort is tied to poor coach/player relations, that is a coaching issue. But players should also have that effort in them. And people who are trying to interpret coaches demeanor on the bench or in interviews as evidence of Lucia's qualifications are reaching, IMO. Hard to know what really goes on in the locker room. Hopefully Coyle is in touch enough to have a feel for if there are issues with Lucia and players better than all of us. That should be a big part of the decision, in my mind. (And not that they necessarily like him, but if players respect him. A player doesn't have to like a coach to succeed - see Brooks, Herb.) Oh yeah, and the PP didn't help at all. Many assume that is on the assistant coach who was apparently not the first choice of Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                        Develop strength and heft, have a more successful (team) season in college, and not get the living s**t beat out of him.

There are good reasons for him to stay.
                        Yeah, in college hockey fans minds. But a lot of these points are made every year for guys who end up leaving early!

Comment

Now that I am not doing drive-by posts, and I'm not seething, here's how the weekend went for me, pertaining to our squad:

Ok, we're in. Barring a miracle, let's try to make a hell-run.
                          Wait, what's happening?!
                          YOU HAVE TO BE F*ING KIDDING ME!
                          At this point, I hope tDon resigns for the good of the program.

There were a couple people poking the bear last night (not here) and I was not having any of it. Talked about it at the corner store today a little, the owners are UM grads and know I love the program. It was somber, and the staff knew it was still a sensitive subject. I've now moved on, and look forward to next season.

Comment

Now that I am not doing drive-by posts, and I'm not seething, here's how the weekend went for me, pertaining to our squad:

Ok, we're in. Barring a miracle, let's try to make a hell-run.
                            Wait, what's happening?!
                            YOU HAVE TO BE F*ING KIDDING ME!
                            At this point, I hope tDon resigns for the good of the program.

There were a couple people poking the bear last night (not here) and I was not having any of it. Talked about it at the corner store today a little, the owners are UM grads and know I love the program. It was somber, and the staff knew it was still a sensitive subject. I've now moved on, and look forward to next season.
                            I doubt there is a god, but if there is, s/he clearly did not want the gophers to be in this tourney. How else do you explain that?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              I doubt there is a god, but if there is, s/he clearly did not want the gophers to be in this tourney. How else do you explain that?
                              I..........don't know. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Assuming every one of those other six games was a 50-50 tossup, what would be the odds of all them not going the Gophers way?

Would it be 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/64?

And probably less than that because most of the outcomes would have to be considered upsets?

Comment

Working...
                                X