Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Originally posted by HungryHungryHuskies View Post
    No it's not. Why do we all give a **** about the Beanpot? It doesn't make this loss, or losing to Providence in the Hockey East semifinals any easier. It's a four team tournament played every year. Statistically, if you're not anticipating winning it at least once every four years, you already have a loser's attitude. The win in the Beanpot this year doesn't mean success, it means finally being able to step out from underneath this embarrassing cloud NU has been standing under for years.

If Michigan had won the Great Lakes Invitational this year but lost in this first round game, would their fans have also said "it's hard to frown upon a season with GLI win?" I mean, it's an annual four team tournament that Michigan participates in. Why would that be any different? A win there = success! /sarcasm

Going into the tournament:

Top 5 offense
    Top 5 defense
    Top 5 goalie
    2nd in PP %
    2 of top 3 skaters in the country
    A respectable PK that has worked hard to get to top ~20

I'm tired of rooting for a loser, and my expectations are too high at this point. Why wouldn't they be? Let's not keep making excuses. This was a team that simply didn't show up for their game tonight.
    Because it beats having nothing to show for this season, with this talent. Because the fanbase showed up in force and everyone had a great time. Because thinking of that glass more like half-full and moving towards full was a heck of a lot more fun than going back to being the miserable, cynical, fatalistic people we usually are. Because we should be thankful that we have things that mean enough to fight for and desire and get psyched about. But I share your disappointment in the way the season ended the past two weeks - I can't help thinking they didn't take advantage of a chance they don't have all the time.
    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      It's a testament to just how far this program has come that we're on here expressing profound frustration and disappointment instead of thanking the hockey gods for whatever crumbs they might have deigned to throw our way. So we got a Beanpot, and in another day and age that would have been quite enough. No more.

NU hockey has finally come of age.
      This. It will come as each class gets playoff/tournament experience. Time heals. Would hurt more if you were in St. cloud’s position. Interesting to see the Big Four shifting to start including you guys. Good stuff.

Comment

• AF took out St Cloud.. the overall #1. We def had a off night. I think St Cloud had its off night (and i credit the opponents as well on both gms). It happens.
        It happened last night to the Huskies & not on Beanpot Monday for a change. That's the way it went. There are 59/ 60 odd D1 programs in the hockey. We've been able to muster the NCAA (picked 16), 2 of last 3 seasons, staying in/ around top 10 this season. Challenge now is how to get even better.. make a run, the last 8, frozen 4. Hope the U. & Coaches/ program stays on it.. cause (going by the NU fan contingent @ DCU yesterday, earlier at the 'Pot, HE tourney prior), they've got the base looking forward to the program being on the mix. Hope the momentum continues. Glass half full for sure!
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          This. It will come as each class gets playoff/tournament experience. Time heals. Would hurt more if you were in St. cloud’s position. Interesting to see the Big Four shifting to start including you guys. Good stuff.
          +1

& besides what i said. yes.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
            ...Because the fanbase showed up in force and everyone had a great time....
            Glad you mentioned this. It wasn't so long ago that the only people cheering for NU at the Beanpot and post-season tournaments were fans of other competing teams who felt sorry for the proverbial underdogs. But things have changed. The NU crowd dominated the Beanpot and was easily more than half the house in Worcester. And it's not just undergrads. I ran into more than a few alums over the weekend who had flown in from various parts of the country to be a part of this. Unthinkable not so long ago.

Like everyone else, I'm feeling pain and anguish this morning but take some small measure of comfort I the fact that things seem to be trending in the right direction.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Most disappointed I have ever been after an NU loss. Usually 24 hours later I am fine, I am not right now

Comment

Originally posted by huskies31 View Post
                Most disappointed I have ever been after an NU loss. Usually 24 hours later I am fine, I am not right now
                I'm really bummed today and sad that we won't see the top line play another game for NU, but there's certainly been much more disappointing moments. We were a 3 seed, who lost to a 2 seed, by a goal. It's not like we were St. Cloud State. Losing a coin-flip game by a goal stings, but it's not like it was a major underachievement.
                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                  I'm really bummed today and sad that we won't see the top line play another game for NU, but there's certainly been much more disappointing moments. We were a 3 seed, who lost to a 2 seed, by a goal. It's not like we were St. Cloud State. Losing a coin-flip game by a goal stings, but it's not like it was a major underachievement.
                  I understand that, I said that this is the most disappointed that I have been, based on expectations and the talent on this team.

Comment

Part of being a Husky fan is heartbreak and disappointment. This is nothing new. I love the Dogs and always will. If Sikuras goal counted on the bs penalty to Stevens things would be different. They would also be different if the shots went in instead of hitting 4 posts. Michigan also missed about 2 to 3 empty nets. Hey we didn’t get the bounces. That’s what happens in Hockey. Sucks but I’ll be right back at Matthews next year.
                    These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

If you have made it through everything so far - you can make it through this. We've all been forged in fire and have come through it stronger, not defeated and dejected.
                      Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        NU hockey has finally come of age.
                        Let's see if you can sustain it. That's the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                          they def were off tonight. but this class, these guys won the Hockey East Championship 2016, NCAA, Beanpot 2018, NCAA.. its getting better...The hockey experience has gotten so much better, we have 2 Hobey finalists. Its heading right.
                          I agree with all of this and will cherish many fond memories from this season. But I'll also have to take a pause once in awhile to imagine what might have been.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            I agree with all of this and will cherish many fond memories from this season. But I'll also have to take a pause once in awhile to imagine what might have been.
                            true. as will many of our players (current & departing), i'm sure.
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Here is something to ponder. We beat bu 3 out of 3 times outscoring them 15 to 4. Then we took 2 out of 3 from bc. That is a huge accomplishment. Took the Beanpot. So what we lost in the tournament, it was a great game.
                              These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                                Here is something to ponder. We beat bu 3 out of 3 times outscoring them 15 to 4. Then we took 2 out of 3 from bc. That is a huge accomplishment. Took the Beanpot. So what we lost in the tournament, it was a great game.
                                WOW! This is the exact type of thought that Madigan has been trying to get rid of.

Comment

Working...
                                X