2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    But you have to advance the puck. You can't constantly pass it up the ice and then pass it back to your goalie.

I think after a warning by the ref, there's an end zone faceoff. Do it again, and it's a minor.
    Where the h*ll in the rulebook is this?!

One more time. This is not basketball. And it’s also not soccer.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

I'll interrupt this p***ing match with something actually interesting and relevant to the discussion:

https://youtu.be/lWGbZPx_HPY
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        Yeah, I was just asking the question. I have no idea whether it could be called that way if it went on long enough. It had crossed my mind so I just tossed it out there for opinions or to see if anyone else actually knew whether or not it could be called that way.
        Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Exactly. This isn't basketball. There's no shot-clock or back-court rule in hockey.
        But you have to advance the puck. You can't constantly pass it up the ice and then pass it back to your goalie.

I think after a warning by the ref, there's an end zone faceoff. Do it again, and it's a minor.
        Originally posted by ironic_chef View Post
        Absolutely not. This is not a rule.
        Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        If you can't cite something from the rulebook, it's a complete fantasy that something might be called.
        There was a Rule (is a rule?) that did not permit you to carry the puck behind your net when breaking out.
        Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Ok, I get it now. You're just messing with us all, pretending to be a complete dumba** to see how we bite. Well done.
        Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        In initially asking if it might be called I was asking if anyone here knew the rule book well enough to enlighten those of us who didn't.
        Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Where the h*ll in the rulebook is this?!

One more time. This is not basketball. And it’s also not soccer.
        I find it amazing that no one can be bothered look this up in the rules books: it's not like they're not available on the Internet. That said, joecct is correct in regards to NCAA Ice Hockey rules:

Rule 76
        76.2 Advancing Puck - Except to carry the puck behind its goal once, a team in possession of the puck in its own defending zone must advance the puck toward the opposing goal, unless it is prevented from so doing by players of the opposing team.
        PENALTYβ€”For initial violation, play shall be stopped and a faceoff conducted at either end-zone faceoff spot adjacent to the goal of the team causing the stoppage, and the referee shall warn the captain of the offending team of the reason for the faceoff. For a second violation by any player of the same team in the same period, a minor shall be assessed to the offending player.

I have never seen a warning for it, let alone a penalty, but it is the rules book and has been for decades. However, I did not find the same rule in the IIHF Rules Book.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          I find it amazing that no one can be bothered look this up in the rules books: it's not like they're not available on the Internet. That said, joecct is correct in regards to NCAA Ice Hockey rules:

Rule 76
          76.2 Advancing Puck - Except to carry the puck behind its goal once, a team in possession of the puck in its own defending zone must advance the puck toward the opposing goal, unless it is prevented from so doing by players of the opposing team.
          PENALTYβ€”For initial violation, play shall be stopped and a faceoff conducted at either end-zone faceoff spot adjacent to the goal of the team causing the stoppage, and the referee shall warn the captain of the offending team of the reason for the faceoff. For a second violation by any player of the same team in the same period, a minor shall be assessed to the offending player.

I have never seen a warning for it, let alone a penalty, but it is the rules book and has been for decades. However, I did not find the same rule in the IIHF Rules Book.

Sean
          We were all waiting for you to look it up, except this isn't NCAA hockey, but thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            I'll interrupt this p***ing match with something actually interesting and relevant to the discussion:

The passive neutral zone trap (1-3-1) in this example is a joke and should be banned.

If there is ever going to be a rule where the offensive team must "advance the puck" then there will need to be a matching rule where at least one player on the defensive team must forecheck the puck. That would be a way of putting in a system of checks and balances for this type of situation.

Comment

The other problem is that ". . . advance the puck toward the opposing goal . . ." is an amazingly broad concept. Unless you literally just stand there, as the Philadelphia player does in that video, you will at various times be advancing the puck towards the opposing goal.

". . . prevented from so doing by players of the opposing team," is also really broad. You aren't required to skate the puck into the teeth of the other team's defense. A team regrouping with the puck is trying to produce and find holes in the other team's coverage. That other team is preventing them from advancing on terms that they find favorable. So, they'll keep moving the puck around until they find an opening.

The reason you've never seen this called is because you've never seen anyone commit it.
              Last edited by Eeyore; 02-16-2018, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I find it amazing that no one can be bothered look this up in the rules books: it's not like they're not available on the Internet. e must advance the puck toward the opposing goal, unless it is prevented from so doing by players of the opposing team.
                Just spitballin' here, could it be that nobody cared enough?

Comment

Rule 76
                  PENALTY—For initial violation, play shall be stopped and a faceoff conducted at either end-zone faceoff spot adjacent to the goal of the team causing the stoppage, and the referee shall warn the captain of the offending team of the reason for the faceoff. For a second violation by any player of the same team in the same period, a minor shall be assessed to the offending player.

Sean
                  I knew Sean would set us straight. But I'm more amazed by how many posts you quoted.

However, it does not appear to be an IIHF rule. So, though fascinating to learn it is a rule in some form of hockey (though impossible to call other than the going behind their own net more than once), we don't have to worry about it in the Olympics.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    Just spitballin' here, could it be that nobody cared enough?
                    We cared. We were just too darn lazy...
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      We cared. We were just too darn lazy...
                      Yep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Yep.
                        Ditto!

Btw, the part in that NCAA rule about going behind your net only once to breakout....sheer stupidity.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Ditto!

Btw, the part in that NCAA rule about going behind your net only once to breakout....sheer stupidity.
                          NFHS has a similar rule 9.8.1
                          ART. 1 . . . A team in possession of the puck in its defending zone shall always advance the puck towards the opposing goal except if prevented from doing so by players of the opposing team.

PENALTY: Faceoff at the near defending zone faceoff spot of the offending team.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Also I'm pretty sure that has never been enforced ever lol

Comment

• Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

The NCAA rule I quoted covered what the Flyers did in the video. And while the IIHF doesn't have a penalty for what was done, they do have a rule for it:

RULE 49 – PUCK IN PLAY
                              iii. The puck must be in motion or be played at all times. If either or both teams refuse to play the puck, the on-ice officials will stop play, and the ensuing faceoff will take place at the nearest faceoff spot to where the puck was situated when play was stopped.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                The NCAA rule I quoted covered what the Flyers did in the video. And while the IIHF doesn't have a penalty for what was done, they do have a rule for it:

RULE 49 – PUCK IN PLAY
                                iii. The puck must be in motion or be played at all times. If either or both teams refuse to play the puck, the on-ice officials will stop play, and the ensuing faceoff will take place at the nearest faceoff spot to where the puck was situated when play was stopped.

Sean
                                You see this with high sticking calls a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X