2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

I was ecstatic to see Nurse snipe one on Rooney. Turnbull played quite well I thought. Any thoughts on the goaltending? Obviously I am a HUGE ARD fan, but I don't know why you would change goalies at this point after last night for the semi's/final.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      It was a question that had initially crossed my mind but I forgot about it until last night when someone to whom I was explaining the new US strategy asked that same question of me.

The question would be whether or not it would fall within the definition of actions that constitute a delay of game? And, maybe, if there are any such definitions that allow for discretionary judgment on the part of the ref.

What's interesting is I haven't seen any comments here yet about the new US strategy that was non existent last night.
      I have seen the US play both ways, the constant D zone cycle and the more straight ahead. I watched them beat Canada and lose to Canada using both styles. I assume it is a reaction to Canadian play combined with some US players tendencies. I don't think I would call it 'new' exactly. It is also ridiculous to think it is a delay of game (you didn't say it was but replied to that), why would anyone play '4-corner' when they are down a goal or two?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
        Irwin does not just play on the power play. And she rarely makes any defensive mistakes unlike others, and her individual efforts usually are not selfish, unlike Saulnier, and any time she any time she is on the ice americans' puck possession slows down. irwin is versatile and the most complete player on the team. the coach doesn't know how to use her talents. But maybe playing defence is smart given the lack of defensive depth on the team.
        Irwin was always grinding along the boards during her UMD days and reducing her opponents' puck possession time is right. And yet she wasn't flashy but came out with the puck more often than not.

Lacquette is not great either, i guess they are using her for her point shot
        She has improved, how can you not when immersed in a pool of individual talent greater than your own...that's an ideal way to grow...but I think she's there for her slapshot as well...and maybe the head coach's being your previous asst coach didn't hurt either.

but there is really no other defenceman for canada who is good.
        You might get some disagreement on this from some. (Larocque, Fortino...Mikkelson?)
        Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-15-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          It is also ridiculous to think it is a delay of game (you didn't say it was but replied to that)
          Yeah, I was just asking the question. I have no idea whether it could be called that way if it went on long enough. It had crossed my mind so I just tossed it out there for opinions or to see if anyone else actually knew whether or not it could be called that way.

Comment

I have no idea whether it could be called that way if it went on long enough.
            What went on long enough -- passing the puck? Just because a pass isn't toward the goal, it can still be part of a strategy to score. I've seen teams on the PK passing the puck around with no attempt to score for a long time, and I don't think anyone in the building thought it was cause for a delay of game penalty.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              What went on long enough -- passing the puck? Just because a pass isn't toward the goal, it can still be part of a strategy to score. I've seen teams on the PK passing the puck around with no attempt to score for a long time, and I don't think anyone in the building thought it was cause for a delay of game penalty.
              Exactly. This isn't basketball. There's no shot-clock or back-court rule in hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I was ecstatic to see Nurse snipe one on Rooney. Turnbull played quite well I thought. Any thoughts on the goaltending? Obviously I am a HUGE ARD fan, but I don't know why you would change goalies at this point after last night for the semi's/final.
                ARD played a decent game however her rebound control was non existent. She would have been smoked against a team like the US however you never know what the staff is thinking when they decide who is playing an important game.
                Last edited by Puckdrop14; 02-15-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Exactly. This isn't basketball. There's no shot-clock or back-court rule in hockey.
                  But you have to advance the puck. You can't constantly pass it up the ice and then pass it back to your goalie.

I think after a warning by the ref, there's an end zone faceoff. Do it again, and it's a minor.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    But you have to advance the puck. You can't constantly pass it up the ice and then pass it back to your goalie.

I think after a warning by the ref, there's an end zone faceoff. Do it again, and it's a minor.
                    Absolutely not. This is not a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Yes, cycling the puck in the neutral zone or high in their end...if that went on long enough. Of course it can be a strategy to score and apparently is. Teams on the PK would be attempting to kill the clock which is a strategy as well but the team on the PP would be foolish to squander their temporary advantage by not pressing the issue, so, one would think that such passing to kill the clock would be relatively short lived, as it usually is.

Imagine this, what would have happened the other night if Finland would have stopped skating (notwithstanding that that might be a bad "strategy" and might be one thing the US would be looking for in order to pounce) but stayed in their end watching the US put on a cycling show in the neutral zone. Without seeing what they were looking for how long would the US continue the cycling?...2 minutes?, 3 minutes?, 5 minutes?, 7 minutes?, until the buzzer went to end the period? At what point, if there is a point and that is the essence of my question, does the ref think that he/she needs to get the game moving along and dispense with the passing clinic? Does the crowd have to start booing and throwing cold dogs and warm beer on the ice? If this went on indefinitely would the ref feel compelled to act? Would the ref even have the discretionary power/authority to act?

Again, these are questions...I don't know the answers if in fact there even are answers that can be gleaned from the rule book.

The standing around in your own end watching the passing clinic might even be an effective counter strategy.

Comment

LMAO, this is absolutely hilarious! While you are supposed to try to keep the puck moving if possible (which is why the refs keep barking at you to "move it, move it" when you're in a battle along the boards, for example), there is no rule about having to "advance the puck." You actually can pass or skate it up, then back, or sideways, or wherever you want for as long as you want as long as you don't go offside, etc. Like I said, there's no shot-clock or back-court rule in hockey. Too funny! You made my night!

Comment

Again, these are questions...I don't know the answers if in fact there even are answers that can be gleaned from the rule book.
                          If you can't cite something from the rulebook, it's a complete fantasy that something might be called.

Comment

Originally posted by ironic_chef View Post
                            Absolutely not. This is not a rule.
                            There was a Rule (is a rule?) that did not permit you to carry the puck behind your net when breaking out.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There was a Rule (is a rule?) that did not permit you to carry the puck behind your net when breaking out.
                              Ok, I get it now. You're just messing with us all, pretending to be a complete dumba** to see how we bite. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                If you can't cite something from the rulebook, it's a complete fantasy that something might be called.
                                In initially asking if it might be called I was asking if anyone here knew the rule book well enough to enlighten those of us who didn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X