NFL 2018.1 The off season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    A LOT of teams don't like the new helmet rule, since it's so open to personal discretion, and the many variables that happen during a play. There could be ZERO intent, and some last-second development will cause a penalty.

IMO, the NFL needs to stop sitting on the fence. Most concussions don't happen from a hit to the head. It's the jarring of the body overall that shakes the brain (see: hockey). So, either go full bore and basically make it touch football, or just let them play (minus obvious helmet to helmet/targeting stuff, of course).
    End the flying body missile hits and say the only way to tackle a player in midfield is via wrapping him up and bringing him to the ground. Other means of ending a play would be out of bounds, forward progress being stopped, and an offensive player giving himself up.

Oh - and get rid of down by contact. This is tackle football. Tackle him, for Pete's sake! A touch is not a tackle.

I believe that will lessen the force of impact and save careers.

I have no idea about interior line play.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      End the flying body missile hits and say the only way to tackle a player in midfield is via wrapping him up and bringing him to the ground. Other means of ending a play would be out of bounds, forward progress being stopped, and an offensive player giving himself up.

Oh - and get rid of down by contact. This is tackle football. Tackle him, for Pete's sake! A touch is not a tackle.

I believe that will lessen the force of impact and save careers.

I have no idea about interior line play.
      Get rid of the 3 point stance, make everyone start with only their feet on the ground except for the center.

And down by contact prevents injuries. No way they go back to pre-Teddy Roosevelt rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Get rid of the 3 point stance, make everyone start with only their feet on the ground except for the center.

And down by contact prevents injuries. No way they go back to pre-Teddy Roosevelt rules.
        I didn't say that. Down by contact was not present until sometime around SuperBowl I. You had to be legally brought to the ground under the grasp and control of an opponent. DBC has led to the flying body missile hits as all you need your opponent's body touch the ground after being touched/hit/steamrolled.

Making grasp and control part of a legal tackle should lessen injuries. Piling on has always been a penalty.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Re: NFL 2018.1 The off season

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I didn't say that. Down by contact was not present until sometime around SuperBowl I. You had to be legally brought to the ground under the grasp and control of an opponent. DBC has led to the flying body missile hits as all you need your opponent's body touch the ground after being touched/hit/steamrolled.

Making grasp and control part of a legal tackle should lessen injuries. Piling on has always been a penalty.
          How do you protect a RB who, going to the line, gets tripped up, stumbles forward and then falls to the ground? He never gets "wrapped up". Just tripped. You're saying that shouldn't end the play?

That seems like an easy way to involve more contact, in both quantity and severity
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            How do you protect a RB who, going to the line, gets tripped up, stumbles forward and then falls to the ground? He never gets "wrapped up". Just tripped. You're saying that shouldn't end the play?

That seems like an easy way to involve more contact, in both quantity and severity
            Get up and run!!
            The D to secure the runner so he can't move. Piling on is still 15 yards.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

@RogueNASA: NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto cost less than the Minnesota Vikings football stadium. https://***********/RogueNASA/status...639361/photo/1
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Get up and run!!
                The D to secure the runner so he can't move. Piling on is still 15 yards.
                Yeah, you're advocating going back to pre Teddy Roosevelt rules. That's never going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                X