• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
    Utica is ranked too high. ��
    Where should Utica be, in your opinion?

I think #7 E is accurate, but Endicott, Hobart and Oswego are not where they ought to be, in mine.

Do tell, I'm curious... And I invite Birdwatcher, NUP, and everyone else to do the same.

It's easy to hide behind the status quo, but somewhat more difficult to defend it.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-28-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I think #7 E is accurate, but Endicott, Hobart and Oswego are not where they ought to be, in mine.

Do tell, I'm curious... And I invite Birdwatcher, NUP, and everyone else to do the same.

It's easy to hide behind the status quo, but somewhat more difficult to defend it.
      One thing to remember...it is the NCAA's party....they invite the "Guests" Below is the link to the rankings. If you go to that page and at the bottom....click on the links to the static pages...it is quite clear how they decide who to invite and in what order.....it is simple....if you don't want to go to their party (if you are invited) don't go...for many years the NESCAC didn't ! https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d3 I will be honest, I rejected the reasoning for many years because i didn't see it their way...but after you understand how they set up their party...it is fair and the numbers do not lie !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Unfortunately, there aren’t nearly enough intraregion games, or even intraconference games (especially in the east) to make a purely objective rating system, such as RPI or KRACH, valuable or remotely accurate. How many E v. W games were there this year? 5 maybe? A handful of games can’t decide who is better between a Norwich and a Marian.

D3 is a massive entity in all sports, spanning the country from coast to coast. This isn’t the only sport where teams that have never seen each other, and have no common opponents, are compared. With a much more limited schedule and budget than D1, the NCAA decided that criteria with some room for subjectivity would be best, and I don’t disagree. So, accept what it is, and trust in the league/school reps to make good decisions, or keep beating your head against the wall. Only one of those choices will kill you

r

Comment

Looking at Utica(and I know all of D3's logistics) I see, UC beat #1 Salvina, tied #4 Oz, in Oswego and Oz pulled their goalie in the last minute to get the fortunate tie, and lost to #1 Adrean away by one goal.

They are 20-5 in a weaker league(SOS hurts) not their fault Hobart left the league. No AQ (again) ECAC West I believe was supposed to get one this yr but the name changed and they added new teams.

They can play with "anybody" in D3 (except the two hiccups against Elmira)

Looks like even with a win Saturday beating Elmira they aren't going to make it.

League Champions and maybe Tourney Champs(IF they win)

They get royally screwed, of course it's all mute if the lose Saturday, I would assume.

I follow D1 but D3 has to change their rules. Just my .02 cents.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            Spring must be right around the corner ...
            Maybe...

We're getting 6-10" of snow tonight.

Fish and the groundhog. That does have a ring to it.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
              Unfortunately, there aren’t nearly enough intraregion games, or even intraconference games (especially in the east) to make a purely objective rating system, such as RPI or KRACH, valuable or remotely accurate. How many E v. W games were there this year? 5 maybe? A handful of games can’t decide who is better between a Norwich and a Marian.

D3 is a massive entity in all sports, spanning the country from coast to coast. This isn’t the only sport where teams that have never seen each other, and have no common opponents, are compared. With a much more limited schedule and budget than D1, the NCAA decided that criteria with some room for subjectivity would be best, and I don’t disagree. So, accept what it is, and trust in the league/school reps to make good decisions, or keep beating your head against the wall. Only one of those choices will kill you

r
              Actually there were at least 14 East vs. West games this season that I count. Adrain, St. Thomas, St. Norbert's, Lake forest, Northland, and Lawrence all played eastern teams. The East holding a slight edge in the results 7-6-1. Biggest games to note for the EAST were Salve beating Adrian 6-2, Nichols beating St. Thomas 3-1, Manhattanville 2-2 tie and 2-1 OT loss to St. Norbert's. Adrians wins over Trinity and Utica were the West's big wins.

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                Actually there were at least 14 East vs. West games this season that I count. Adrain, St. Thomas, St. Norbert's, Lake forest, Northland, and Lawrence all played eastern teams. The East holding a slight edge in the results 7-6-1. Biggest games to note for the EAST were Salve beating Adrian 6-2, Nichols beating St. Thomas 3-1, Manhattanville 2-2 tie and 2-1 OT loss to St. Norbert's. Adrians wins over Trinity and Utica were the West's big wins.
                OOPs
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by nefan View Post
                  14 games out of how many....?? ...81 teams....25 games each... Sorry...not enough data.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    Looking at Utica(and I know all of D3's logistics) I see, UC beat #1 Salvina, tied #4 Oz, in Oswego and Oz pulled their goalie in the last minute to get the fortunate tie, and lost to #1 Adrean away by one goal.

They are 20-5 in a weaker league(SOS hurts) not their fault Hobart left the league. No AQ (again) ECAC West I believe was supposed to get one this yr but the name changed and they added new teams.

Looks like even with a win Saturday beating Elmira they aren't going to make it.

They get royally screwed, of course it's all mute if the lose Saturday, I would assume.

How do they get screwed. Who would they replace? Back up your statement or are you just going to be an offspring of Fish and spout off with no backing?
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Has the "wrong" team ever won a title? Does anyone believe that an excluded team would have been the Last Team Standing?

If so, which one and what year??
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post

Check your facts, that game was in Utica.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Has the "wrong" team ever won a title? Does anyone believe that an excluded team would have been the Last Team Standing?

SNC totally would have won the title in 2015...

...if their NCAA player of the year goalie didn't break his leg and the team didn't tank down the stretch.
                          5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                          2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                            14 is a good number, more than a lot of years. Out of 1800 or so D3 games, not statistically relevant.

r

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Well, if we are going to speculate, there WAS that one year and Adrian.........
                              Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Can't recall the season, but the year Trinity went from #1 in the east to out of the tournament without playing a game comes to mind. Seemed they would have had a legitimate shot at the title that year. Bottom line is always win your games and you'll get in. Lose, and you put yourself at the mercy of a shaky process...
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95
                                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                                X