Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Munson was in for the first 3, the third goal was a giveaway leading to a 2x1, seemed like a quick hook as he had no chance. The 4th was scored on Beydoun seconds After the goalie change deflating all momentum the change may have led to. Goals were too easy again, with the guys pressing everyone needs to play D first tonight. A split salvages the weekend, so let’s go get it. Any team with Luch, Gould, Smith, Jackson, L’esperance should be getting the chances, just need to insure right side of the puck and score off the defense. We cannot count on the goaltending at this point so need to focus on trying to help that cause by controlling the puck most of the game.
    Cannot wait to watch the Huskies tonight, go Tech!!!!
    I love your enthusiasm but this is a team game relying on the entire unit to perform. To say you can't count on your goaltending is silly. I understand exactly what you are saying but the team will not succeed without an effective goaltender. (or skaters that can score goals)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Maybe you missed where he included himself. He didn't just put it on the skaters. And if you were him what would you say.?
      I understand he is in a tough spot but the guys worked really hard in the first despite missing some key guys and having 2 guys in the lineup with virtually zero playing time. They are demoralized by these games. They need the coaches support to stay positive and focused. Not the constant "they've always played the wrong way and their just not going to change". They've made great strides, they've played some really good hockey. Build them up, build their confidence, be supportive. You'd be surprised what a difference it would make.

Example and I'm paraphrasing

Dirk: Rockwell played pretty well...

Coach: Yeah, he did some good things, but he was -3...

It's the kids 1st game against one of MTU s toughest rivals. Why throw that in there in public?

Again I think Coach Shawhan is a good coach of skills and how to play the game but if his conversations with the players go anything like his interviews I'm wondering how the players react.

Last edited by rustedblades; 02-03-2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        I understand he is in a tough spot but the guys worked really hard in the first despite missing some key guys and having 2 guys in the lineup with virtually zero playing time. They are demoralized by these games. They need the coaches support to stay positive and focused. Not the constant "they've always played the wrong way and their just not going to change". They've made great strides, they've played some really good hockey. Build them up, build their confidence, be supportive. You'd be surprised what a difference it would make.

Example and I'm paraphrasing

Dirk: Rockwell played pretty well...

Coach: Yeah, he did some good things, but he was -3...

It's the kids 1st game against one of MTU s toughest rivals. Why throw that in there in public?

Again I think Coach Shawhan is a good coach of skills and how to play the game but if his conversations with the players go anything like his interviews I'm wondering how the players react.

Maybe they need some coloring time. Or a support peacock. The team is crushed by injuries right now, is sitting at .500 and you’d think its the end of the world in Houghton. Questioning the coach’s ability with goalies? His track record has been outstanding in developing goalies at LSSU, NMU & Tech. Did you ever stop to think that maybe there just isn’t the overall talent at the position that there hasn’t been in the past few years. Kero has been on the bench. Munson is on his 3rd team in 3 years. And the other kid’s a freshman.

And by the way, Tech clinched a playoff spot.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          Maybe they need some coloring time. Or a support peacock. The team is crushed by injuries right now, is sitting at .500 and you’d think its the end of the world in Houghton. Questioning the coach’s ability with goalies? His track record has been outstanding in developing goalies at LSSU, NMU & Tech. Did you ever stop to think that maybe there just isn’t the overall talent at the position that there hasn’t been in the past few years. Kero has been on the bench. Munson is on his 3rd team in 3 years. And the other kid’s a freshman.

And by the way, Tech clinched a playoff spot.
          You are actually making my point for me. I am not questioning the coaches abilities from a skills stand point. Never have. In fact I've said numerous times I think he's done a good job and yes I am know he is a good goaltending coach.
          But how about say exactly what you said; we are lacking in goaltending talent which requires are guys to play a totally different game than they are used to but they are working their tails off to play the way they have to. Coach them up.

Comment

He coached up some kid when he was coaching the Soo Indians in the Nahl also.
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              I love your enthusiasm but this is a team game relying on the entire unit to perform. To say you can't count on your goaltending is silly. I understand exactly what you are saying but the team will not succeed without an effective goaltender. (or skaters that can score goals)

I believe the skaters are #2 in the WCHA in scoring.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Reinke - Out (our Hobey Baker guy)
                Ford - Out
                Donohue - Out
                Baltus (C) - Out
                Gillies - Out
                Jackson - playing at not 100%

That's half our starting D including our best Dman, the team captain, a senior fwd, and another top forward playing injured. I think some folks are being rather unrealistic in their expectations at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  I believe the skaters are #2 in the WCHA in scoring.
                  Again making my point. Quit beating up the skaters. They are doing great!

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                    Reinke - Out (our Hobey Baker guy)
                    Ford - Out
                    Donohue - Out
                    Baltus (C) - Out
                    Gillies - Out
                    Jackson - playing at not 100%

That's half our starting D including our best Dman, the team captain, a senior fwd, and another top forward playing injured. I think some folks are being rather unrealistic in their expectations at the moment.
                    Again, making my point. The coach is the one whining about the skaters not playing the right way yet all of You, including myself say they are doing fine under the circumstances.

Comment

Guys, lets not fight amongst ourselves.
                      2005-2006: 7-25-6
                      2006-2007: 18-17-5
                      2007-2008: 14-20-5
                      2008-2009: 6-25-7
                      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

I obviously don't know what's up with Kero, but I sure wish he had made the trip. I think he has been more reliable then the young guys by a long shot. Sure he tends to let in a soft goal now and again, but overall he has a lot more poise in net., Everytime Munson or Beydoun go behind the net I cringe. Why we aren't riding Kero at this point is a mystery to me. I think we have seen what we have with the other two guys.

I like this team! I like this coach!

Comment

I like this team. Warts and all, I like this team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            Again, making my point. The coach is the one whining about the skaters not playing the right way yet all of You, including myself say they are doing fine under the circumstances.

I guess we all hear what we want to hear. I don't hear whining, just simple statement of facts. Guys are out. The guys that are in aren't getting the job done. We all have to do better.

So often in sports, as in life, when you are handed your opportunity you have to make the best of it. I'm not sure I'd say doing "fine." I "expect" them to step up. However, I recognize the limitations; expectations can't be the same with this line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                              You're the one full of it. Smith slashed and crosschecked him in the face off circle, then chased him down the ice like a crybaby. McClain, acting like a senior leader, tried to walk away so as not to be kicked out. Tech's behavior at the end of the game was classless. Obviously, with your language, you are classless as well.
                              Hey John, go away. Classless is trolling another school's forum. Go find the BG forum. We're going to have to spray a whole bottle of Febreeze to get the Ohio stink outa here. Buh bye...
                              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                                Guys, lets not fight amongst ourselves.
                                I like the fights on the ice better! You hear anything yet as to Watson is out for tonight?

Comment

Working...
                                X