Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjqTyQuq4w

Team building.... Go you Huskies!

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

I pretty much picture this speech happening before the Saturday Bg game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
        Fantastic Coach Joe Show this morning. Loved the "Stripes" reference. Bring on the Beavers. This should be a great weekend of hockey!
        I agree it was a very good show. The coach gave more insight in to what types of players make up his type of team. Talked a bit more about how he makes his goaltender decisions and referenced an experience where a goaltender was just handed a spot. Helped me better understand his thought process and why he is doing what he is doing.

I must have missed the "Stripes" comment, what was that?

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
          I agree it was a very good show. The coach gave more insight in to what types of players make up his type of team. Talked a bit more about how he makes his goaltender decisions and referenced an experience where a goaltender was just handed a spot. Helped me better understand his thought process and why he is doing what he is doing.

I must have missed the "Stripes" comment, what was that?
          When Coach was talking about asking the team how many times he had reference BG and their level of play as an example of where we need to be, and if they were getting tired of it.. And hands slowly going up. Joe said like that "did you cry when Old Yeller died" moment in Stripes.. starts about the 55 minute mark of the JSH

He threw Mel under the bus a little as well when talking about goalie decisions (gotta like that). After the series at UofM last season Mel was pretty steamed. Didn't want to see either Wintjes or Kero again. But Joe saying Redmond wasn't ready. Joe's timeline is a little off or Angus got ready real fast because it was the very next series against northern that Angus started his run.

Go Huskies!
          Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 02-05-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
            When Coach was talking about asking the team how many times he had reference BG and their level of play as an example of where we need to be, and if they were getting tired of it.. And hands slowly going up. Joe said like that "did you cry when Old Yeller died" moment in Stripes.. starts about the 55 minute mark of the JSH

He threw Mel under the bus a little as well when talking about goalie decisions (gotta like that). After the series at UofM last season Mel was pretty steamed. Didn't want to see either Wintjes or Kero again. But Joe saying Redmond wasn't ready. Joe's timeline is a little off or Angus got ready real fast because it was the very next series against northern that Angus started his run.

Go Huskies!
            I do remember the Old Yeller comment, funny. When you mentioned stripes I thought maybe I missed him going after the officiating again. He did also refer to a saying from Walt Kyle about types of players he prefers to coach "I'd rather have to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a ***** cat". Good line as well. I believe the coach has been doing some painting of late and it is starting to pay off a bit. We'll see if it continues.

Comment

I do remember the Old Yeller comment, funny. When you mentioned stripes I thought maybe I missed him going after the officiating again. He did also refer to a saying from Walt Kyle about types of players he prefers to coach "I'd rather have to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a ***** cat". Good line as well. I believe the coach has been doing some painting of late and it is starting to pay off a bit. We'll see if it continues.
              *****=kitty [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Crunching some numbers here; obviously MTU would have to sweep BSU to have any real hope of home ice playoffs. If MTU can pull that off they would have 43 points. BSU would remain at 39. If BSU, worst case, sweeps UAF the following weekend they would come in to the final weekend with 45 points.

Best case final weekend, MTU sweeps NMU and ends up with 49 points. (That will be a tall order based on NMUs play this season) MTU would then have to hope MSU limits BSU to only 4 points or less in their final series. If MSU could help MTU by sweeping BSU, MTU would only need to secure 2 points in the NMU series as I believe tying BSU would give MTU home ice due to the head to head result.

There are way to many scenarios to really get to worked up yet but if MTU can take care of business this weekend there is still hope of home ice.

I like this team!

Let's go Tech! Let's go Huskies!

Comment

Crunching some numbers here; obviously MTU would have to sweep BSU to have any real hope of home ice playoffs. If MTU can pull that off they would have 43 points. BSU would remain at 39. If BSU, worst case, sweeps UAF the following weekend they would come in to the final weekend with 45 points.

Best case final weekend, MTU sweeps NMU and ends up with 49 points. (That will be a tall order based on NMUs play this season) MTU would then have to hope MSU limits BSU to only 4 points or less in their final series. If MSU could help MTU by sweeping BSU, MTU would only need to secure 2 points in the NMU series as I believe tying BSU would give MTU home ice due to the head to head result.

There are way to many scenarios to really get to worked up yet but if MTU can take care of business this weekend there is still hope of home ice.

I like this team!

Let's go Tech! Let's go Huskies!
                  We need to take care of our business and everything will work out. If we play like we did in the second game against BGSU for the rest of the season, there is no reason we can't sweep BSU. If we do, that, it puts us in a much better place. I think we can take one game from Northern. They just lost to UAH. (Don't know if NMU was sick, injured,... or just got beat.) I would like to think we can beat NMU in Houghton. How things go in Marquette is anyone's guess. If we play like we can play, there is a great chance we sweep NMU. (One game does not a trend make.)

Even though we can't count on it, I think MSU will "help" us out and beat up on BSU during "rivalry" weekend.

Go Tech

Comment

I think "just got beat" is appropriate.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

It's hard to say MSU will sweep because they will have most likely clinched by then and won't have that much to play for. Also the same could be said for NMU, will they have second locked up? will they be in competition for an at large. ?
                      I'm more worried about our injury situation to tell the truth.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        It's hard to say MSU will sweep because they will have most likely clinched by then and won't have that much to play for. Also the same could be said for NMU, will they have second locked up? will they be in competition for an at large. ?
                        It sure would help to get some guys back but the way the team played Saturday I'm not as concerned as long as they did not lose any more. I did notice Smith with limited ice time Saturday. Not sure if that was a discipline thing or injury. He did go after McLain on Friday, but the coach did say he was ok with that.
                        Not much injury detail on the JSH, as you would expect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                          We need to take care of our business and everything will work out. If we play like we did in the second game against BGSU for the rest of the season, there is no reason we can't sweep BSU. If we do, that, it puts us in a much better place. I think we can take one game from Northern. They just lost to UAH. (Don't know if NMU was sick, injured,... or just got beat.) I would like to think we can beat NMU in Houghton. How things go in Marquette is anyone's guess. If we play like we can play, there is a great chance we sweep NMU. (One game does not a trend make.)

Even though we can't count on it, I think MSU will "help" us out and beat up on BSU during "rivalry" weekend.

Go Tech
                          NMU outshot UAH 35-15 in the game they lost. Sometimes a goalie steals one for you. Sometimes a goalie steals one from you. Uhelski stole one.
                          Last edited by davyd83; 02-08-2018, 09:27 AM.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            NMU outshot UAH 35-15 in the game they lost. Sometimes a goalie steals on for you. Sometimes a goalie steals on from you. Uhelski stole one.
                            uhelski was definitely ON for that ONE...
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              MSU is #5 in the pairwise. If they lose to BSU, they are going to take a tumble. They are close to an NCAA tourny #1 seed and WCHA championship. I would imagine that is their motivation.

NMU (#20 pairwise) and BGSU (#19) have to play all out and hope they get some help to win the WCHA and get an NCAA at large bid. IMO they will need to be at #15+ in order to get in. How many times has BGSU just missed an NCAA bid recently?

Comment

Michigan Tech vs Northern Michigan:
                                Let's be honest...
                                No external motivation required when those two team play.
                                They could be playing for 9th and 10th in the conference and those games would be played all out.

Ryan
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X