This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    While we're talking jerseys, why in the name of everything sacred is there black in the USA hockey sweaters!!!?? Red, white, and blue with the big block USA, going diagonally across the front. Thank you.
    Won’t matter anyway. They’ll be eliminated soon.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Ha, jinx!

Also, it would appear that the white candy canes are our new regular jerseys. I do not understand why that is and I feel if one would ask Coach Quinn about it, he wouldn't care to answer, not thinking it's anything to be concerned or talk about. That could be me, though.
      If only we could find somebody, maybe a FOH member with some access, who could let DQ know that there are a lot of fans who do not want to see the "regular" jerseys faded out.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
        ... at Chestnut Hill aren’t as focused on sports as they are on academics...
        Good thing NU hasn't taken that approach!

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
        Academically today many an employer and admissions officer would argue that all the degrees are generally fairly equal
        Man have I got a bridge to sell you.

Comment

Since the talk is about jerseys, the ones that should be brought back are the 1970s version with the Terrier on the front.
          They took off the Terrier and added the numbers on the front because the Walter Brown Arena press box is behind the North goal. They thought it was too difficult to identify the players coming at them, so they dumped the dog and added digits.
          That is not an issue at Agganis, so bring back the dog!!!

https://i1.wp.com/www.ultimatesports...?fit=400%2C284

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OkXgQWfkmN...-BU+action.gif

BTW, I do like the scarlet throwbacks and the candy cane whites better the others right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Zero times this season, home or away. I too would hate them to go away.
            I posed a question about this earlier in the season and someone responded that maybe with the switch to Under Armour, they weren’t able to get the traditional jerseys in time. The throwbacks are nice once in a while for “special” games, but I think they ought to be wearing the ones we all grew up with most of the time. If the Red Wings are still wearing them (the whites anyway), BU should too.

Comment

Interesting discussion on the jerseys. Tough to tell what is going on with things over there. Not that I pay super close attention any more but I don't recall seeing anything about a rebranding of sorts (say BC completely revamping in the summer of 2000 and/or the Under Armor redesign with their stupid "stained glass" stripes). So it seems like BU went from the plain white and reds (for quite a while) to the candy canes (2009ish?) and then to these newer, lesser striped red and whites around the Eichel year(?). But they seemingly had been mixing previous ones in to the season here and there. Identity crisis? I'm not sure what's going on. I liked the old ones, candy canes weren't bad looking back and still not sure about these newer ones.

You have to remember though, the physical jersey has changed quite a bit since the late 90s when they were heavy heavyweight CCM jerseys that could take a beating. Now everyone wants a slimmer, thinner jersey of performance material started with the Nike Swift movement and going through to the RBK Edge stuff. I'm not sure what the old look from the late 90s would look like on the newer, slimmer stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a good look. It'd be cool to just see BU declare some sort of rebrand on the jersey though and then it's over and done with.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

The jersey history isn't as complex as this thread may make it seem. Last year BU had 3 sets.

The Red Wings style classic jerseys, these were the only jerseys BU had for years.

The throwbacks with more, thinner stripes were introduced in the mid 2000's. In general it seems that fans below their mid thirties (and the players) prefer these throwbacks to the classic jerseys, while the fans above that age (and the coaches) prefer the classic style.

The throwbacks that say Boston University were introduced in the mid 2010's.

Last year BU used all 6 (the home and away of each of the 3 sets) about the same number of times. This year BU switched to Under Armour and does not appear to have had the classic/Red Wings made yet, they wear the throwbacks debuted in the mid 2000's almost exclusively, with the 2010's Boston University ones for high profile games.

I would be surprised if the classic jersey doesn't come back shortly, and expect BU to return to a rotation of all 6 jerseys, but maybe not as evenly split as it was last year. I'd be disappointed if they took any of these 6 out of the rotation permanently, or did a large rebrand.

Comment

The 50s red throwback was introduced at the game where BU played the WJC team at Walter Brown Arena in December 2014.

Comment

If you want to see the classic jerseys go to some women's games (last home game of the season is this Sunday at 3 pm). Coach Durocher has used the classic jerseys since the program began.

My preference is for the classic jerseys with the late fifties throwbacks worn occasionally and the early fifties throwbacks thrown out.

I'm also disappointed that BU didn't even mention the 100th anniversary of the men's program at the UMass game.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      My preference is for the classic jerseys with the late fifties throwbacks worn occasionally and the early fifties throwbacks thrown out.

Sean
                      Agreed. But I am still wondering why (except for Harry) nobody is discussing the Terrier on the front. I get it that the press box at WBA was on the end. But those days are gone now. I think the uniform is too bland without the Terrier on it and wish they would reincorporate that into the branding again.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Agreed. But I am still wondering why (except for Harry) nobody is discussing the Terrier on the front. I get it that the press box at WBA was on the end. But those days are gone now. I think the uniform is too bland without the Terrier on it and wish they would reincorporate that into the branding again.
                        I like that there is no black on the jersey, and think it would look much more busy with the extra color(s) and logo by adding a dog head to the jersey.

Comment

With all this talk of jerseys and how Northeastern is clearly the best program in college hockey history, it seems we missed some Terrier-on-Terrier crime. Eichel is out 4-6 weeks. To quote the ESPN article, "Eichel was hurt during the first period while attempting to play the puck behind the Bruins net. He was checked from behind by Boston's Matt Grzelcyk and fell awkwardly into the boards."

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                            Since the talk is about jerseys, the ones that should be brought back are the 1970s version with the Terrier on the front.
                            They took off the Terrier and added the numbers on the front because the Walter Brown Arena press box is behind the North goal. They thought it was too difficult to identify the players coming at them, so they dumped the dog and added digits.
                            That is not an issue at Agganis, so bring back the dog!!!

https://i1.wp.com/www.ultimatesports...?fit=400%2C284

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OkXgQWfkmN...-BU+action.gif

BTW, I do like the scarlet throwbacks and the candy cane whites better the others right now.
                            BU wore uniforms with BOSTON across the front and the number below into the early '70's while playing home games at WBA. Why the terrier head was added/removed, I don't know. Did the media have that much clout? Sounds strange.

Personal preference, BOSTON and number on the front. Please bring back the "classic" sweaters, abandon the early '50's, and use the candy canes for rare, special occasions. The early'50's uniforms look like they'd be worn by an eastern bloc team.

Whoever mentioned the old BC uniforms with the eagle on front, I agree. They were great, and stood for something.

Speaking of red uniforms, does anyone know if Cornell wears an alternate uniform? I hope not. Their uniforms are terrific. The power of simple elegance.
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              With all this talk of jerseys and how Northeastern is clearly the best program in college hockey history, it seems we missed some Terrier-on-Terrier crime. Eichel is out 4-6 weeks. To quote the ESPN article, "Eichel was hurt during the first period while attempting to play the puck behind the Bruins net. He was checked from behind by Boston's Matt Grzelcyk and fell awkwardly into the boards."
                              That description of what Grzelcyk did is quite the misrepresentation. It was hardly a check from behind and more an awkward and coincidental collision.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                That description of what Grzelcyk did is quite the misrepresentation. It was hardly a check from behind and more an awkward and coincidental collision.
                                https://youtu.be/2u1JPqdyRXw

Comment

Working...
                                X