Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Foreign Policy 2.0: Have you read Kipling, Mr. Tillerson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Foreign Policy 2.0: Have you read Kipling, Mr. Tillerson?

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Yeah...that totally justified her being a monster. You turned me right around there.

You understand we put Japanese to death for less, right?
    Not interested in turning you around.

But as a point of fact, no, we did not "put Japanese to death for less."
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Not interested in turning you around.

But as a point of fact, no, we did not "put Japanese to death for less."
      https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2009/04/yes-we-did-execute-japanese-soldiers-waterboarding-american-pows/

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/opinion/gina-haspel-questions-cia.html

Yeah, she's a real sweetheart.
        Woman hater.... disgusting
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• fixed link

Of course, let us not forget the US Army, back at the turn of the 20th century, was busy waterboarding the Moro tribesmen of the Philippines.

The Japanese regarded our treatment of the Native Americans and Filipinos as their model for dealing with the Koreans and Chinese.
          Last edited by joecct; 05-13-2018, 04:24 AM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So because we massacred Native Americans as part of Lebensraum in the 19th Century that makes torture fine in the 21st Century. So much for the human race advancing.

I suppose the Geneva Conventions are just another piece of paper we can ignore whenever we feel like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              So because we massacred Native Americans as part of Lebensraum in the 19th Century that makes torture fine in the 21st Century. So much for the human race advancing.

I suppose the Geneva Conventions are just another piece of paper we can ignore whenever we feel like it.
              Wrong again!

The Japanese used our heinous treatment to justify their heinous treatment of "lesser" races.

And since we are a signatory (passed by the Senate) the Geneva Convention is in full effect. POWs are treated nicely. Terrorists/resistance/freedom fighters are outside the GC boundaries.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2009/04/yes-we-did-execute-japanese-soldiers-waterboarding-american-pows/
                That headline in this is: "Yes, We Did Execute Japanese Soldiers for Waterboarding American POWs" (Ironically, there's a plea for donations on the page to fight disinformation.)

Virginia Rep Bobby Scott made this statement in 2015 ""After World War II, we tried, convicted, and, in some cases, executed Japanese soldiers for war crimes that included charges of waterboarding." Link.

There's a significant difference in the two statements. Which of the following is true? "We executed Timothy McVeigh for charges that included destroying government property." or "We executed Timothy McVeigh for destroying government property."

Your statement that "we put Japanese to death for less" isn't true. It was for more and a lot more. The common result of water torture or forms of near drowning by the Japanese, was actual drowning. Prisoners that did survive various forms of torture were commonly murdered afterwards to cover up the fact of it having taken place.

"The major means of getting intelligence was to extract information by interrogating prisoners. Torture was an unavoidable necessity. Murdering and burying them follows naturally. You do it so you won't be found out." --Uno Shintaro, WWII Japanese Army Officer

There's no record of the US putting anyone to death specifically for nearly drowning a prisoner. If there were, no doubt it would have been uncovered and on the front page of the Times when the existence of waterboarding was first revealed years ago.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Wrong again!

The Japanese used our heinous treatment to justify their heinous treatment of "lesser" races.

And since we are a signatory (passed by the Senate) the Geneva Convention is in full effect. POWs are treated nicely. Terrorists/resistance/freedom fighters are outside the GC boundaries.
                  (Now) Berkely Law Professor, John Yoo used this in part as a basis for the legality of the Greystone program, arguing that International Law applied to States and State actors, a group to which Al Qaida and OBL, etc. did not belong. He also argued that in war, the power of the executive to determine conduct is nearly unlimited from a legal standpoint. There have since been many legal arguments made contradicting his stances.

In any case there's legal, and then there's moral. Two quite different things. We ask people to do all sorts of morally questionable things in the conduct of war, telling them that they are both legal and necessary. Then later on we admonish these same people for not having had the fortitude to have told us to go to hell for asking.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Wrong again!

I love how the pro life poster on this board ties himself in knots justifying torture and the death penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      I love how the pro life poster on this board ties himself in knots justifying torture and the death penalty.
                      He’s pro choice!!

Comment

Wrong again!

LOL. POWs are treated nicely.

You're adorable.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Let him dig his own hole.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

US colonel black listed in pak after running a red light yesterday and killing motorcyclist

Army sent a plane to get him. Denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Love the way you're preconceptions force you to conclusions that are valid in your mind without looking in mine.

The death penalty is justified if the state finds compelling evidence that a crime shocks the conscience of the community sufficiently enough to kill a criminal. Cases in point
                              Timothy McVeigh
                              John Allen Muhammad

Torture? Again, there must be a compelling reason that for reasons of national security (tightly defined not something the "Patriot" Act may condone). If used there has to be an immediate threat of use of a WMD or mass murder.

Both cases need to be extremely rare.

And, for those whose spittle is now all over your screen, being pro life and pro death penalty are compatible stances.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Wrong again!

Link?

Comment

Working...
                                X