X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

New year, new goals. Here are mine:

1. Get to about 200-205 and park it.

2. Stick to 5Ks, 10Ks, and sprint duathlon. No marathons quite yet.

3. Cross training! I have HIIT, yoga, Pilates, and my bike to choose from.

4. Limit booze and added sugar to 1 day a week, if that.

5. Limit dining out. Use the Crock-Pot and make meals like soup and beans and quinoa.

6. Cut to 2 cups of coffee a day.

What are yours?
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

Drop 7-8 lbs and stay there so I am consistently 190 or less.

Reduce beer / soda / added sugar drinks to weekends only.

Be more consistent with exercise (would like to get to 4 or 5 days a week consistent. 2 or 3 crossfit, 2 or 3 of some sort of other cardio such as jogging / rowing / swimming).

Comment

I want to get under 190. I'm about 200 right now.

Eat out less.

Exercise more consistently.

Get consistent, sensible sleep on a nightly basis. Going to bed at midnight and falling asleep at 12:30, when the alarm goes off at 6:45, doesn't get it done.

If I do that, I can get the blood sugar, cholesterol and BP to reasonable levels.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I started back into weight loss having tried and failed miserably to maintain weight the past few months. I need to drop weight to get down to around 15% body fat as I have look good for some summer photos.

Started at 267, goal is to be around 225-230.

Also, I'm likely going to have shoulder surgery come the end of the month, so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out or if my doctor thinks I should suspend my weight loss attempt during recovery. I can't see that being suggested, but it wouldn't fully surprise me either.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So I ran out of pop at my house over the holiday weekend, and was stocked up on everything else and it was 5 degrees outside, so I didn't bother to go to the grocery store. By the end of the holiday weekend, I realized I had made it the whole 3-day weekend without drinking a drop of soda, so I said "let's roll with it and see how long I can make it."

I am now coming up on the one week mark soda-free.

I've essentially managed to turn my own laziness against itself. I'm not sure whether I should be proud of this or not.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I could stand to shed some pounds this year.
            After graduating college, I basically gained 10 pounds a year. 4 years ago I met my now husband and the weight gain slowed/stopped. Whether I just found my peak, or he had something to do with it, I'm not sure. I think he's been helpful as he does not judge me when I overeat (which I do, a lot). The guy before him always made me feel more guilty, which lead to binge eating when he wasn't around.

Anyway, I've dropped about 10 pounds since reaching my maximum. I'd like to drop another 10-20 this year. Ideally, I should drop 50-70 to put me where I feel best (even though BMI calculation would still call me overweight).

I know the best way for me to jumpstart this would be to cut fast food from my diet. I need to find food options that are just as easy and satisfying but better for me.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              I know the best way for me to jumpstart this would be to cut fast food from my diet. I need to find food options that are just as easy and satisfying but better for me.
              When I dropped 135lbs back in 2014, I had some very simple and healthy recipes. Most people would call them repetitive and boring, but they worked for me. If you'd like, I can share them. Like I said, there aren't many, and you might not care for them.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                When I dropped 135lbs back in 2014, I had some very simple and healthy recipes. Most people would call them repetitive and boring, but they worked for me. If you'd like, I can share them. Like I said, there aren't many, and you might not care for them.
                I'd like. I need to drop 50 pounds. I spent my whole adult life up until 50 at around 180 pounds. Now I'm 240 and I am out of breath walking up stairs.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I'd like. I need to drop 50 pounds. I spent my whole adult life up until 50 at around 180 pounds. Now I'm 240 and I am out of breath walking up stairs.
                  I'm going to preface this whole thing: I used the Medifast service to help me lose weight. That said, aside from eating 4 of their protein bars each day (110 calories each), I would also have some side meals. kcal intake is different for everyone, mine happens to be higher with a 2130 basal metabolic rate.

Breakfast: Sandwich made from 4oz of either peppered turkey breast or roast beef, one fried egg (usually seasoned to taste), and the bread is a whole wheat Brownberry Sandwich Thins (100 calories for the entire bun vs. 180-240 for the average bread/bun on a sandwich. Then I would add a veggie, usually a Green Giant steamer bag (small bag, usually packaged in a box).

Snacks: fruits and Greek Yogurt. My favorite combination was about 4oz of a frozen berry blend, 8oz of Greek yogurt, and a 1/4 cup of quality granola - check packages, and you'll see the difference. Aside from the yogurt, these are all below the standards for a single serving.

Sometimes I would also have a single serving of stuffed olives later in the day - green olives stuffed with a garlic clove or partial jalapeno. Pickled, can be found in any grocery store.

Dinner: I ate a lot of chicken breasts, with petite sirloins once per week, and I would add a veggie, usually a Green Giant steamer bag - the whole bag. I pan fry them for most of the year due to my work/commute schedule as it gets too dark to grill during all but the summer months. I spice the chicken with a Tex-Mex labeled mix I get from Target - red pepper flakes and salt, mostly.

I'm not a very good cook, though I've gotten better. That's also part of the reason why my menu was so limited.

Also, when I'd be at a restaurant like an Old Chicago, I'd get a salad. I especially like Old Chicago as they offered a chicken and avocado salad that used all spinach instead of a lettuce bed.

Comment

Since I stopped playing soccer and work had been horrid, I’ve gained 15 lbs. No bueno.

Time to make a change.

Part of that is I’ve been asked to play on a team starting in January. I need to get my body back and ready for that abuse.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Actually, my goal list isn't even that long. Given my past, this is all I'm focusing on this year:

1. Do not read fitness or beauty magazines. I paid way too much attention to them in the past, especially the constant barrage of "lose those last 10 pounds now!"

2. No marathons. Resist the urge. A 10K will let me feel accomplished without killing myself.

3. Close the kitchen at a reasonable time. Late night eating is a problem.

4. Alcohol to 1 night a week.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

So losing weight at the start of any diet is generally the fastest you're going to lose weight, but still...

I dropped 8.5lbs between 12/31 and 1/6. That surprised me, to say the least.

Comment

I had to do my weekly weigh-in a couple days early due to a busy weekend. I'm down another 1.5lbs after 5 days; that makes 10.0lbs since 12/30. Going from 267 to 257. Another 30 to go before July. And no, I'm not starving myself, bulimic or exercising like a maniac. I've just been keeping to the program, smart with what I eat, and even adding some kcal on top of it all when I get hungry.

Comment

Dr. wants me on a protein supplement. Went to Target and felt I picked the least terrible option.

So apparently, the in thing now is to give up all sugar, including fruit. Inevitably, we're always looking for something to demonize. It was fat, now it's carbs and sugar. I gave up sugar twice and each time, I reverted to stuffing all of it in my face hole.

Comment

What the heck is a protein supplement? Isn’t that just chicken breasts, Greek yogurt, or other high protein low fat foods?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                              X