Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Mancini’s is great because it doesn’t cost a small mortgage for a steak but it’s still good grub.
    I've been there before now, just making a joke because it's not often I spend that much on a meal. They're not outrageously expensive like the Minneapolis steakhouses, but they're still a quality steakhouse and so you're not paying Applebee's prices.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I just saw an ad for "one of the best films of the year". Ya, its January, settle down.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Yeah, the above-zero temps here were a welcomed change of pace. This sub-zero weather has been killing the MPG for my car, down 10-15% from where it should be.

I'm going to Mancini's for dinner tonight, a decent steakhouse with an Italian flair to it. (Who'd've guessed!) Received a $25 gift card for Christmas, so the water should be covered.
        I wondered if this was a thing. I also have been running less efficiently than usual. Good to know.

Checking in from work. Looks like it'll be a doozy of a drive home tomorrow morning, but there is a faint chance that I might not have to come in tomorrow night. We're overstaffed (thanks to the wonky holiday rules), and I am the first one up to be canceled if we don't need that many nurse. I'll be crossing fingers and toes since the drive in will likely be crappy. I was going to see if they'd have beds open for people to sleep in so that I didn't have to drive the hour each way, but they're not offering beds for staff (we're welcome to book at a local hotel at a reduced rate if we don't want to drive to and from the hospital during the blizzard) and now that there is the possibility that I won't be needed, I'll just drive home and play the odds.

Looking forward to a few days off. I'll get to put away the Christmas stuff and join the gym. The hubs and I have decided to make our health a priority in 2018. Not any specific weight loss goals, but to 1) eat healthier and 2) start exercising. We're signing up for a 5K in April this weekend and probably a 10K in October when sign-ups start later in the year. Ideally, I'd like to run the Star Wars half at Disney in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
          I wondered if this was a thing. I also have been running less efficiently than usual. Good to know.

Checking in from work. Looks like it'll be a doozy of a drive home tomorrow morning, but there is a faint chance that I might not have to come in tomorrow night. We're overstaffed (thanks to the wonky holiday rules), and I am the first one up to be canceled if we don't need that many nurse. I'll be crossing fingers and toes since the drive in will likely be crappy. I was going to see if they'd have beds open for people to sleep in so that I didn't have to drive the hour each way, but they're not offering beds for staff (we're welcome to book at a local hotel at a reduced rate if we don't want to drive to and from the hospital during the blizzard) and now that there is the possibility that I won't be needed, I'll just drive home and play the odds.

Looking forward to a few days off. I'll get to put away the Christmas stuff and join the gym. The hubs and I have decided to make our health a priority in 2018. Not any specific weight loss goals, but to 1) eat healthier and 2) start exercising. We're signing up for a 5K in April this weekend and probably a 10K in October when sign-ups start later in the year. Ideally, I'd like to run the Star Wars half at Disney in 2019.
          Not offering you guys beds is bush league. Hope you don't need to go in!

I am back to trying to do something every day but my foot is still messed up. SO using some little hand weights and doing exercises.

lil is going back to school tomorrow- in the blizzard

He brought me to see the new Star Wars this afternoon in between a meeting for school and FIL coming for dinner. It was good.

Comment

s’upp y’all
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Afternoon mook!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Afternoon mook!
                Morning
                614a

Good night les
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If I had to guess, most of that loss is from loss in tire pressure and warming up the car.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If I had to guess, most of that loss is from loss in tire pressure and warming up the car.
                    That was my first guess. Even with warming up the car a couple nights before I left from work, my MPG is about normal for mixed city/hwy driving as I got in fall. Summer, I did much more highway driving, so those numbers are skewed a little.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 194: What to do now that winter has really started?

I don't really warm my car up. Per manufacturer, you don't really need to and I don't have a remote starter because I drive a manual. Tire pressure a possibility. Plus cold weather impacts your gas/water content, right?

Comment

I don't really warm my car up. Per manufacturer, you don't really need to and I don't have a remote starter because I drive a manual. Tire pressure a possibility. Plus cold weather impacts your gas/water content, right?
                        You don't NEED to warm up your car, but I prefer getting into a warm car rather than one that's been sitting in sub-zero temps all day.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          You don't NEED to warm up your car, but I prefer getting into a warm car rather than one that's been sitting in sub-zero temps all day.
                          Meh. I do too, but I prefer to be driving to a warm destination, rather than wait for it to warm up. Plus at work, it's far to get to my car and turn it on and then wait.

Comment

I’m not sure gas:water is any different in the summer or winter. That probably has more to do with where you get gas.

I’m guessing it is almost entirely tire pressure (you lose about 10-15% per 5 psi and dropping 30 degrees has dropped my tire pressure about 5 psi) and the way you drive. In the winter it’s probably more stop and go and you don’t drive as fast. Additionally, if you have AWD, it’s going to make it suffer even more as power is transferred less to the front wheels and more to the rear giving you a characteristic 4WD inefficiency.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Meh. I do too, but I prefer to be driving to a warm destination, rather than wait for it to warm up. Plus at work, it's far to get to my car and turn it on and then wait.
                              I have it nice at my building. I'm the only car there at night, so when my UPS guy shows up, I run out start it, and it runs for about 10 minutes while he loads up and then I lock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                I have it nice at my building. I'm the only car there at night, so when my UPS guy shows up, I run out start it, and it runs for about 10 minutes while he loads up and then I lock up.
                                At least on night shift I get to park in the lot somewhat near my Unit or in the garage that is reasonably close. Day shift parks off site and takes a shuttle several miles to the hospital. I did that for a hot minute when I was on orientation and it SUCKED.
                                I’m not sure gas:water is any different in the summer or winter. That probably has more to do with where you get gas.

I’m guessing it is almost entirely tire pressure (you lose about 10-15% per 5 psi and dropping 30 degrees has dropped my tire pressure about 5 psi) and the way you drive. In the winter it’s probably more stop and go and you don’t drive as fast. Additionally, if you have AWD, it’s going to make it suffer even more as power is transferred less to the front wheels and more to the rear giving you a characteristic 4WD inefficiency.
                                Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X