Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: Doing Their Own Thing...

I posted earlier that the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority has as much holiday as they do because they're 100% self sufficient (they have to be). Every dime charged on the toll roads go back into the ISTHA system for the maintenance and New construction. None of the federal or state fuel taxes or federal or state highway funding can be given to ISTHA or other toll roads.

So, unless there are stretches of highway in Minnesota or Wisconsin have the volumes of traffic that ISTHA has (and 1/2 their highways are always revenue losers and will be), the cost of tolls needed to cover the loss of federal/state funds will be outrageous.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      If it isn't vetoed by our supposed LOCK Democratic Governor I would be very very upset.
      I know I'm late to this but if Walz ends up being the guy that's not a great sign. Receives money from the NRA, is non-committal on single payer, do we even know his stance on the minimum wage, privacy concerns, or marijuana? Obviously I'll vote for him over Pol Pot or whoever the Republicans pick as their candidate but I'm not sure this guy is gonna energize the base really. Hopefully Liebling can get some traction.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        I posted earlier that the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority has as much holiday as they do because they're 100% self sufficient (they have to be). Every dime charged on the toll roads go back into the ISTHA system for the maintenance and New construction. None of the federal or state fuel taxes or federal or state highway funding can be given to ISTHA or other toll roads.

So, unless there are stretches of highway in Minnesota or Wisconsin have the volumes of traffic that ISTHA has (and 1/2 their highways are always revenue losers and will be), the cost of tolls needed to cover the loss of federal/state funds will be outrageous.
        EZ Pass (electronic tolling) and pay by the mile. Oh it is painless - until you look at the bill. But the bill is paid electronically by credit card.

It's invisible and it can cost a bunch.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          EZ Pass (electronic tolling) and pay by the mile. Oh it is painless - until you look at the bill. But the bill is paid electronically by credit card.

Yep.

I think just for personal use, I was over $300 in tolls per year for the two cars on my account.

My company vehicle was easily at $2k last year. thankfully, that is paid by my employer (a perk I have for having a company vehicle).

Also, tolls paid by contractors doing work on the tollway (at least ISTHA) are not reimbursed during construction. Hooray for all the times I had to drive through the toll plaza repeatedly. We joked that the paver needed it's own IPass (Illinois EZ Pass) to prevent toll violations.

Oh, Scooby, another passing thought, if tolls are to offset the federal funding, who pays for the installation and maintenance of said toll plazas? Is that cost factored into this Senators thoughts? What about the sale of transponders or stickers, and interoperability between the EZPass network?

Nope, more open mouth insert foot from the LOLGOP.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

I'm 3 plus hrs from Chicago, and over half the driving (I-90) is in WI, which is not tolled. EZPass still saves me a ton of time on the Illinois side.

Comment

Just raise the ****ing gas tax. Done.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Just raise the ****ing gas tax. Done.
                People will say it's regressive, penalizing those who need to drive and can't take mass transit.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

People will say it's regressive, penalizing those who need to drive and can't take mass transit.
                  Yeah, but it pales in comparison to FICA which is the most regressive tax of all. Hell, Cigarrette taxes are massively regressive.

The gas tax hasn't been raised in decades. Gas prices go up and down all the time. Raise it 15 cents (split between State and Federal) and be done with it.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'd be okay with raising the gas tax, even if its somewhat regressive, because cars get much better mileage than they did 20+ years ago the last time it went up. Less gas usage = less tax paid. So, drivers have been reaping the benefit of that. Even if you increased it to the same price in real dollars as it was back in the early 90's, drivers would still be getting a break do to using less gas than before.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I'd be okay with raising the gas tax, even if its somewhat regressive, because cars get much better mileage than they did 20+ years ago the last time it went up. Less gas usage = less tax paid. So, drivers have been reaping the benefit of that. Even if you increased it to the same price in real dollars as it was back in the early 90's, drivers would still be getting a break do to using less gas than before.
                      The gas tax should have been automatically adjusted over time based on inflation. If it had been our roads and bridges wouldn't be (Mpls. 35W anyone) killing people like a 3rd world country.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        The gas tax should have been automatically adjusted over time based on inflation. If it had been our roads and bridges wouldn't be (Mpls. 35W anyone) killing people like a 3rd world country.
                        Its all in the Rover Manifesto Scoobs, but I'll reiterate...

Current gas tax of 18.4 cents has been in place since 1993 (24 cents for diesel). In current dollars that would be about 30 and 40 cents respectively. Current tax brings in about 35 Bn a year. So, by doubling the gas tax to 37 cents, gubmint is raising 70 Bn a year and drivers are STILL making out on the deal over time as they're using less gas.

Chump claims he wants a trillion dollars in infrastructure spending. How does that happen? The Manifesto says raise gas tax to 40 cents (50 for diesel) and raise 75Bn a year over 10 years = $750Bn. Implement 3-1 policy on all projects, as in the feds will kick in 3 bucks for every 1 dollar a state kicks in. Voila! You've raised $1T dollars relatively easily to pay for much needed projects, and its not costing anybody all that much in real dollars vs what they were paying 25 years ago.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

It is. Which is why we should cut the gas tax to zero and hike income taxes.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Interstate and US highways that are funded by tolls LOSE ALL FEDERAL FUNDING.

I repeat: any highway that becomes a toll road is EXEMPTED FROM RECEIVING FEDERAL INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDING FOR THE MAINTENANCE OF THAT STRETCH OF ROAD.

It's a federal law.

So Mr. Scott Fitzgerald is a goddammed farking liar trying to buffalo his constituents.
                            exactly.

why the big dig can't become a toll road (as it should be.... only westerners pay tolls in MA. (north and south shorers get off scott free - cept for the gas tax )
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Its all in the Rover Manifesto Scoobs, but I'll reiterate...

Current gas tax of 18.4 cents has been in place since 1993 (24 cents for diesel). In current dollars that would be about 30 and 40 cents respectively. Current tax brings in about 35 Bn a year. So, by doubling the gas tax to 37 cents, gubmint is raising 70 Bn a year and drivers are STILL making out on the deal over time as they're using less gas.

Chump claims he wants a trillion dollars in HIGHWAY spending. How does that happen? The Manifesto says raise gas tax to 40 cents (50 for diesel) and raise 75Bn a year over 10 years = $750Bn. Implement 3-1 policy on all HIGHWAY, as in the feds will kick in 3 bucks for every 1 dollar a state kicks in. Voila! You've raised $1T dollars relatively easily to pay for much needed HIGHWAY projects, and its not costing anybody all that much in real dollars vs what they were paying 25 years ago.
                              ROAD projects where gas using payers are utilizing, right? or is this gas tax paying for other shi... er stuff?
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

What about a mileage tax? It's hidden, it's collected electronically or on your annual tax bill and it taxes people who use the roads the most.

The next time your vehicle is checked at an inspection or emissions station, the mileage is recorded and the state sends you a bill due when you file your income tax.

Or you could attach a monitor to that doo hickey they checks the engine and it sends a signal monthly and you get a monthly road tax bill.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X