• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)•m(2)/r^2

Science, muthaf-cka!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Wow.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This is a great piece. It's worth the effort.
        Cornell University

Comment

I can’t quite tell if this satire...

But if it’s not, This was a very prescient paragraph
          “Notice how naturally τ falls out of this analysis. If you are a believer in π, I fear that the resulting diagram of special angles (Figure 10) will shake your faith to its very core.”

Edit: this article is amazing
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I just feel bad* for all those MIT kids who won’t be notified of their acceptance until June.

*not really
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I was just listening to Science Friday on NPR during my lunch break, and the topic of smart TVs was raised. A caller who worked for NASA said that the guys in his area were randomly talking about them three years ago, and decided to listen in on what these devices were saying. Well, it turns out they couldn't listen to the devices because they signals they send out are all encrypted. I can't pretend that's a surprise, but what did surprise me was that the guest on the show, a guy who's name I've completely forgotten, said that his lab has done much the same and have successfully decrypted two of the smart TV devices - Roku and Fire TV. They didn't get into the details of what's being tracked, but he did say that you should pay attention to what's going on with those devices.

Another caller was on the air regarding a tangential topic - Amazon's Echo. Apparently, there are a slew of games that you can play with Alexa. One of them was a yes/no answering game where Alexa tries to guess what person you picked. Eventually, one of the questions, once the app had a solid grasp on who the person was (woman was calling about her daughter playing the game), asked, "Does this person inoculate the people in your house?" The in-studio expert was saying that many times it's not inherently Amazon collecting this data, rather a third-party app corporation has added functions into these devices, and people are often none the wiser due to a lack of disclosure upon app/"skill" setup within their smart audio devices.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Um, holy balls. These guys might have just discovered what causes MS.

Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease affecting both adults and children. It's driven by "helper" T cells, white blood cells that mount an inflammatory attack on the brain and spinal cord, degrading the protective myelin sheath that covers nerve fibers. But there are many different kinds of T helper cells, and up until now, no one knew which ones were the bad actors.

Researchers at Boston Children's Hospital have now pinpointed the specific helper T cells that cause MS, as well as a protein on their surface that marks them. As reported this week in PNAS, an antibody targeting this protein, CXCR6, both prevented and reversed MS in a mouse model.

If human studies bear out the findings, targeting these rogue T cells could potentially ameliorate MS

Dr. Mrs. has MS.
                Last edited by Kepler; 10-04-2019, 02:41 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

Dang. That’s a biggie.

My aunt has it too.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If this holds up, let me be the first to offer condolences to whom ever finishes 2nd for the Nobel. There’s always next year!
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Although a positive step, it will likely not be an end to "MS" as "MS" is a syndrome that is used to describe likely several subtypes of autoimmunity to the (largely) white matter of the central nervous system. For example, we used to think NMO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromyelitis_optica) was a type of MS. Then an antibody was discovered that was specific to NMO. Now we have several. This has led to better treatments for NMO because of better targeting but it only described a portion of the collection of autoimmune diseases.

Another example in neurology is limbic encephalitis. We could describe the syndrome for decades but Josep Dalmau discovered NMDA receptor antibodies that caused a subset of these conditions. His group (look for him or Jerry Mandell at OSU who basically cured SMA to win a Nobel out of neurology contenders) has now discovered several tens of antibodies (more each day) but we still have cases of "antibody negative" limbic encephalitis and will for some time. I would predict even if this works out for MS, it will likely be a slow, stepwise identification of different subtypes of a commonly presenting syndrome (and then, better, catered treatments).
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Um, holy balls. These guys might have just discovered what causes MS.

Dr. Mrs. has MS.
                        We have something in common.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                          Although a positive step, it will likely not be an end to "MS" as "MS" is a syndrome that is used to describe likely several subtypes of autoimmunity to the (largely) white matter of the central nervous system. For example, we used to think NMO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromyelitis_optica) was a type of MS. Then an antibody was discovered that was specific to NMO. Now we have several. This has led to better treatments for NMO because of better targeting but it only described a portion of the collection of autoimmune diseases.

Another example in neurology is limbic encephalitis. We could describe the syndrome for decades but Josep Dalmau discovered NMDA receptor antibodies that caused a subset of these conditions. His group (look for him or Jerry Mandell at OSU who basically cured SMA to win a Nobel out of neurology contenders) has now discovered several tens of antibodies (more each day) but we still have cases of "antibody negative" limbic encephalitis and will for some time. I would predict even if this works out for MS, it will likely be a slow, stepwise identification of different subtypes of a commonly presenting syndrome (and then, better, catered treatments).
                          Harsh toke, dude
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Harsh toke, dude
                            Curing things in mice is a heck of a lot easier than in humans. I am speaking from experience and just trying to put things into context (which pop-sci articles do not do a good job with).
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                              Curing things in mice is a heck of a lot easier than in humans. I am speaking from experience and just trying to put things into context (which pop-sci articles do not do a good job with).
                              I said, “HARSH TOKE, DUDE!”

Code:

Comment

There's something wrong with this interpretation of this experiment but I can't quite put my finger on it. Or anyway I think there is because it seems to posit quantum scale phenomena happening at scales that are just too large.

It's cool, but I suspect it isn't as cool as the author is declaring.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X