This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)•m(2)/r^2

I ran across this today. Did you know where degaussing started? It's wild.

The term was first used by then-Commander Charles F. Goodeve, RCNVR, during World War II while trying to counter the German magnetic naval mines that were playing havoc with the British fleet. The mines detected the increase in the magnetic field when the steel in a ship concentrated the Earth's magnetic field over it. Admiralty scientists, including Goodeve, developed a number of systems to induce a small "N-pole up" field into the ship to offset this effect, meaning that the net field was the same as the background. Since the Germans used the gauss as the unit of the strength of the magnetic field in their mines' triggers (this was not yet a standard measure), Goodeve referred to the various processes to counter the mines as "degaussing". The term became a common word.

The original method of degaussing was to install electromagnetic coils into the ships, known simply as coiling. In addition to being able to bias the ship continually, coiling also allowed the bias field to be reversed in the southern hemisphere, where the mines were set to detect "S-pole down" fields. British ships, notably cruisers and battleships, were well protected by about 1943.

Installing such special equipment was, however, far too expensive and difficult to service all ships that would need it, so the navy developed an alternative called wiping, which Goodeve also devised, and which is now also called deperming. This procedure simply dragged a large electrical cable along the side of the ship with a pulse of about 2000 amperes flowing through it. This induced the proper field into the ship in the form of a slight bias. It was originally thought that the pounding of the sea and the ship's engines would slowly randomize this field, but in testing, this was found not to be a real problem. A more serious problem was later realized: as a ship travels through Earth's magnetic field, it will slowly pick up that field, counteracting the effects of the degaussing. From then on captains were instructed to change direction as often as possible to avoid this problem. Nevertheless, the bias did wear off eventually, and ships had to be degaussed on a schedule. Smaller ships continued to use wiping through the war.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's always fascinating how various forms of internet-fueled denial tend to crumble when they run full speed into natural consequences.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Robot Hockey!!

Can't wait for the NRHL (National Robot Hockey League)!!

Cheers!!!
        ~TTF
        Dave
        RIT - '90

Comment

While I'm convinced that the flat earth nonsense is mostly a work, the anti-vax stuff is most definitely real. And it's the most insane crap I've ever heard. It truly seems to span all political affiliations too.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
            While I'm convinced that the flat earth nonsense is mostly a work, the anti-vax stuff is most definitely real. And it's the most insane crap I've ever heard. It truly seems to span all political affiliations too.
            Flat Earth is definitely a game. In the miserable annals of the (Flat) Earth it will be duly enshrined as one of our species' finest self-parodies.

Creationism : Flying Spaghetti Monster :: Climate Change Denial : Flat Earth
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Flat Earth is definitely a game. In the miserable annals of the (Flat) Earth it will be duly enshrined as one of our species' finest self-parodies.

Creationism : Flying Spaghetti Monster :: Climate Change Denial : Flat Earth
                I've been thinking about this post since yesterday and just can't get around it. The Flat Earthers aren't a parody. I might have misunderstood what you're saying here, but given the analogy at the end of your post, I really don't think that's possible.

Flat Earthers actually believe the Earth is flat. The FSM is something someone created because they say it's as valid as a god who created the universe. Flat Earthism wasn't created to make fun of climate change deniers. It was made because people really are that f-cking stupid.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I've been thinking about this post since yesterday and just can't get around it. The Flat Earthers aren't a parody. I might have misunderstood what you're saying here, but given the analogy at the end of your post, I really don't think that's possible.

Flat Earthers actually believe the Earth is flat. The FSM is something someone created because they say it's as valid as a god who created the universe. Flat Earthism wasn't created to make fun of climate change deniers. It was made because people really are that f-cking stupid.
                  I think they are a witting satire, and a great one. They're doing the same work as FSM, exposing the anti-science illiterates in the GOP as well as their ridiculous politics.

There may be an NBA player here or there who actually doesn't get the joke and Believes, but all the hallmarks of Swiftian Parody are there.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Asteroids: it's not just a 1980's arcade game anymore.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-is-sh...ave-the-world/
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      Asteroids: it's not just a 1980's arcade game anymore.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-is-sh...ave-the-world/
                      Pssssssu pssssssu
                      Psssssuupssssssu
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The linked article is a VERY high-level look at what LOFAR is providing in mapping the cosmos.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          The linked article is a VERY high-level look at what LOFAR is providing in mapping the cosmos.
                          Reminds me of this, the most impressive astronomy presentation I've ever seen on the internet.
                          Cornell University

Comment

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...g-left-behind/

"Russia’s passive-aggressive reaction to SpaceX may mask a deeper truth"

Vadim Lukashevich, a Russian-based space expert: Look, if we compare the ships on a technological level, our Soyuz is in principle unable to compete with the SpaceX’s Crew Dragon. This is because our Soyuz was ideologically built in the 1960s by Sergei Pavlovich Korolev. Even having undergone a lot of modification, it is still flying to this day. It is reliable and its bugs have all been worked out. But it has become an unreliable ship in principle. Even when the Chinese built their ship, “Heavenly Vessel” (Shenzhou)—a pretty name—on the basis of our Soyuz, they rebuilt the entire article. In the first place, [the Chinese ship] is bigger. Secondly, their habitation module is a completely independent vehicle, able to undock and fly for up to a month on its own. As to the re-entry module, theirs is larger, more reliable, and less crowded than ours and so forth.

But Elon Musk has built the ship of the future. It’s a seven-place spacecraft. It is re-usable. It is new technology. Accordingly, it beats Soyuz according to every parameter, by every technological indicator. It only needs to prove its usefulness for manned space launches, and then in July it will make its first manned flight. Musk will not only take away from Roscosmos… Transporting foreign astronauts [on Soyuz] to the ISS is ending. Each year we (Russia) received about $400 million, and now that will end. We will be forced by this, most likely, to carry tourists, but Musk will be able to offer lower prices to tourists as well, and he has a ship with seven seats. So what are we even talking about?
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...g-left-behind/

"Russia’s passive-aggressive reaction to SpaceX may mask a deeper truth"
                              God knows whether this is just reflective of a single person's agenda or deeper Russian clique rivalries and politics, but the prospect of the US leading the space race again makes me want to run through a brick wall.

I swear it's really the only thing in this country I'm proud of anymore. Let's take the cheese.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The interesting thing to me was deeper in the article where the same source said that Russia became complacent on the $400 million check every year. They were already launching their cosmonauts to ISS, why not get paid to do it by taking a US astronaut up with.

It seems that corporate greed nestled in the Russian space program: while there was so much advance notice that SpaceX and Boeing were going to build capsules, the Russians basically were caught with their feet up on the desk while counting the scrooge McDuck stacks of cash around them.

Loved the little dig that to make up for the loss of NASA money, they'd have to sell commercial tourism flights aboard Soyuz, yet Musk will still be able to undercut them in that department because Dragon is seven passenger.

I too love seeing our space program regain the crown, or at least attempting to.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X