Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I will give sourness a try if it's part of that more complex "buried in the back of the nunnery next to the Sisters' aborted fetuses" flavor. It's the current Brooklyn hipster gratuitous sours I don't like.

I had a Belgian Trappist at a DC beer bar that was essentially the beer equivalent of kimchi, and I loved it (after the first sip which was Culture Shock). To call it "earthy" would be an understatement, it was almost "manure"-y. But my god something snapped on after the first couple (unpleasant) sips and it was one of the best beers I have ever had.

tl; dr: I'll do the work if there's something of value at the end of the rainbow.
    A lot of Belgian beers are like that. They smack you in the face at the beginning, but once you realize what you're drinking, after a few sips, they're sublime. Also, some Belgian yeasts tend to present the off-putting ****ty aroma, but that is normal, and it doesn't affect the taste of the beer.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      A lot of Belgian beers are like that. They smack you in the face at the beginning, but once you realize what you're drinking, after a few sips, they're sublime. Also, some Belgian yeasts tend to present the off-putting ****ty aroma, but that is normal, and it doesn't affect the taste of the beer.
      Still waiting on that list.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'll second Cantillon, even though I'm far from a sour guy. Find the right flavors, and it's more tart than sour. There IS a fine line there. And yes, it does drink more like wine, which I really dislike. Lambics WANT to be wine, but they are still beer.

My issue with the "sour" category, is that it's too broad right now. It's like saying all stouts are the same. Or all IPAs are the same. They haven't broken "sour" down into individual styles yet. I have found that the red fruits (cherry, raspberry, etc) are more tart and don't have that crap funk taste to them. They are quite enjoyable to me.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I'll second Cantillon, even though I'm far from a sour guy. Find the right flavors, and it's more tart than sour. There IS a fine line there. And yes, it does drink more like wine, which I really dislike. Lambics WANT to be wine, but they are still beer.

My issue with the "sour" category, is that it's too broad right now. It's like saying all stouts are the same. Or all IPAs are the same. They haven't broken "sour" down into individual styles yet. I have found that the red fruits (cherry, raspberry, etc) are more tart and don't have that crap funk taste to them. They are quite enjoyable to me.
          Yes they have... there are Berliner Weisse, Lambic-Kriek, Lambic-Gueze, other fruited Lambic, Sour Goses, Oud Bruins, Flanders Red, Dark Sours, etc.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yes they have... there are Berliner Weisse, Lambic-Kriek, Lambic-Gueze, other fruited Lambic, Sour Goses, Oud Bruins, Flanders Red, Dark Sours, etc.
            They classify the New Glarus fruit beers as sours. No narrowing of the subject, that I've seen. They are not, IMO. That sorta thing.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'm a fan of Lambics and Belgians as well as some Sours (I like bright and tart). Nothing will touch my love of all things thick and sweet and stout, but I'm learning to broaden my horizons. I am not a fan of "add more hops to the hops" trend that had been on the rise.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                I'm a fan of Lambics and Belgians as well as some Sours (I like bright and tart). Nothing will touch my love of all things thick and sweet and stout, but I'm learning to broaden my horizons. I am not a fan of "add more hops to the hops" trend that had been on the rise.
                Ding.

But NE IPAs..............nomnomom

Comment

IPAs are driving investment in other kinds of beers. That's the best I can say for them.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

They classify the New Glarus fruit beers as sours. No narrowing of the subject, that I've seen. They are not, IMO. That sorta thing.
                    New Glarus fruit beers are a combination of the actual style "Fruit Beer" and variations on Lambics. The Raspberry Tart is considered a Lambic syle beer (cannot actually be a true Lambic, as those have to come from Belgium). The Serendipity, Strawberry Rhubarb, and Wisconsin Belgian Red are considered "Fruit Beers". None are just plain "Sour".

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ding.

But NE IPAs..............nomnomom
                      NE IPAs are the direct result of the "add more hops to the hops" trend...you realize this right? They're the direct result of massive amounts of dry-hopping, which is the exact process of adding a **** ton of more hops to an already hoppy beer. The IPAs you like are the ones that specifically call for more and more hops.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

NE IPAs are the direct result of the "add more hops to the hops" trend...you realize this right? They're the direct result of massive amounts of dry-hopping, which is the exact process of adding a **** ton of more hops to an already hoppy beer. The IPAs you like are the ones that specifically call for more and more hops.
                        And whatever they do to them, it's not drinking shag carpet. THAT'S why I don't like traditional IPAs. It's the WAY they do the hops.

Comment

A good IPA is somewhat analogous to a good dry red wine. Astringent and usually has a good balance of bitter and sweet with other complex floral notes.

If you don’t get the balance right, it’s like playing a piano out of tune.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And whatever they do to them, it's not drinking shag carpet. THAT'S why I don't like traditional IPAs. It's the WAY they do the hops.
                            So, it is IPA with LESS hops that you don't care for. Some of the ones you like are some of the hoppiest (not just dry hopped, hops in boil) IPAs around. The sensation that you get is from certain varieties of hops, not from amount. Stay away from Cascade, Centenniel, Amarillo, and other "west coast" IPA hops. If you're in the Citra, Mosaic, Vic Secret, Motueka, Galaxy range, you won't get that same flavor profile, and you will likely enjoy the IPA, even though it is technically super hoppy.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've heard of Panther P!sz, but this is new....

@WTOP: Distillery has new bourbon flavored by beaver secretion http://bit.ly/2JS84C9 https://***********/WTOP/status/1006...360643/photo/1
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Enjoying a nice glass of neat Angel's Envy Finished Rye. This stuff is so ****ing good.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X