Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Any help on that one? I missed out on it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Any help on that one? I missed out on it.
      St Louis Park Liquor Boy. Oh, I have a line on a case plus of BCS if you want it. And if you wanna buy a case of it, you could. Again, not Total Wine.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I owe ya if I can get some.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I owe ya if I can get some.
          I can check on Sat, how many you want? No finder's fee, will sell at cost. Edit: assuming you're talking CBS, not BCS.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I’m off tomorrow. I’ll head over there tomorrow morning while I’m out running errands.

I’ll let you know.
            Code:

Comment

I’m off tomorrow. I’ll head over there tomorrow morning while I’m out running errands.

I’ll let you know.
              Cool. If you want the BCS, it's Strong Liquor on Cedar Lake Road, near Hopkins Crossroad. You can seriously buy a case. If asked, just say I sent ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Edit: as for whiskey in general, I've paid $60/pour for a scotch, found out later the bottle was WORTH about $3K (owner bought it for much less, so charged much less), $25/pour for a Yamazaki 18, which you will NOT find in stores (too rare, bottle is about $300 last I heard), and a couple $25-30/pour scotches at the same place I got the $60/pour one.
                This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  This might be a bit of an awkward discussion, but...when was the last time you seriously tasted the difference between a $60 bottle of scotch, and a $200+ scotch like, oh I don't know, Balvenie 21? And I mean a, "this was totally worth paying another $$$$+ for" difference.

I used to love Highland Park 12 at a little over $50 - nice balance between Islay and Speyside styles - and I could barely taste the difference between that, and the 18-year at about $120 that I bought once. That's when I realized the 'tasting' thing was mostly a farce, and that the law of diminishing returns is true for at least 95% of the public.
                  Anything more than a 20~ YO is just dIck-swinging from ALL I have heard. I'd guess probably more than 15 overall. And yes, the Balvenie 21 I bought on that excursion was just a "go big or go home" move. Gave me an excuse to spend the money. However, to the original argument, you taste Jack D and then take a taste of say, Woodford Double Barrel, you WILL taste the difference. You taste J Walker Scotch, and then taste Balvenie whatever (really, the age doesn't matter) and you WILL taste the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I own a bottle of balvenie 30 and have had dozens, maybe a hundred, of other whiskeys. There’s an ocean of difference between the 30 and everything else Balvenies. Same thing with high end bourbon. You can easily taste the difference between a bottle of Jim and a bottle of Booker’s. And you can easily taste the difference between Booker’s and a bottle of Stagg.

Some are worth it. Others aren’t. Would I buy a bottle of Balvenie 30 again? Maybe. But it’s about more than taste. It’s about sharing something great sometimes. Why do we buy diamonds on engagement rings when zirconias look fairly similar? Why do we buy luxury cars? Why do we buy stressless furniture instead of la-z-boy? Why go to the symphony when you can hear a cat baying at the moon?

It’s about refinement. Even when we enjoy the symphony, it still takes time and practice to be able to hear the piccolo over everything else. Would the symphony be the same without the piccolo? Probably. But is the chamber orchestra the same as a full symphony? Nope. Is it worth paying that much extra? I don’t know. Depends on how much you like music.
                    Code:

Comment

Anything more than a 20~ YO is just dIck-swinging from ALL I have heard.
                      I think that's probably 98% accurate.

However, to the original argument, you taste Jack D and then take a taste of say, Woodford Double Barrel, you WILL taste the difference. You taste J Walker Scotch, and then taste Balvenie whatever (really, the age doesn't matter) and you WILL taste the difference.
                      We agree, to a point. Some will taste a slight difference, and be unimpressed, whereas the majority may *gasp* not notice anything, or if they do, dislike it.

I'll concur with you, they're morons. But...hey, I was never a cheap drunk.

Some of us, will notice the difference in that $25-50 range. Major value to be found there, IMO.

Comment

I own a bottle of balvenie 30 and have had dozens, maybe a hundred, of other whiskeys. There’s an ocean of difference between the 30 and everything else Balvenies. Same thing with high end bourbon. You can easily taste the difference between a bottle of Jim and a bottle of Booker’s. And you can easily taste the difference between Booker’s and a bottle of Stagg.

Some are worth it. Others aren’t. Would I buy a bottle of Balvenie 30 again? Maybe. But it’s about more than taste. It’s about sharing something great sometimes. Why do we buy diamonds on engagement rings when zirconias look fairly similar? Why do we buy luxury cars? Why do we buy stressless furniture instead of la-z-boy? Why go to the symphony when you can hear a cat baying at the moon?

It’s about refinement. Even when we enjoy the symphony, it still takes time and practice to be able to hear the piccolo over everything else. Would the symphony be the same without the piccolo? Probably. But is the chamber orchestra the same as a full symphony? Nope. Is it worth paying that much extra? I don’t know. Depends on how much you like music.
                        I'm starting to understand now. Like comparing Sioux hockey to gopher hockey. They're both college hockey, but . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          Christmas Eve with Sip of Sunshine from Lawson’s Finest Liquids.

Truly one of Vermont’s best IPAs.

Merry Christmas to all!
                          SOS is being Brewed by Two Roads in Stratford CT. Market is flooded down here now, even my local watering hole has it on tap. It doesn't stop some unscrupulous packy owners from still trying to sell it for $5 a can.
                          Last edited by LTsatch; 12-29-2017, 07:01 AM.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Cool. If you want the BCS, it's Strong Liquor on Cedar Lake Road, near Hopkins Crossroad. You can seriously buy a case. If asked, just say I sent ya.
                            I need some for my BIL. Please.
                            I was told there would be no math...

Comment

And they are out. Or at least the manager didn’t want to sell it. They had three left in inventory according to the cashier. :-/
                              Code:

Comment

And they are out. Or at least the manager didn’t want to sell it. They had three left in inventory according to the cashier. :-/
                                Some stores will do that. They hold it for their regular customers and turn away the newbs and truck chasers.

Comment

Working...
                                X