Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

It was good and I will see it again but it's not better than 4 and 5 but clearly better than 7.

imho the broom kid is far too young to be Luke's son. Not because it's biologically impossible but because I get the impression Luke's been in isolation far younger than that kid's been alive.

Rey is not a Kenobi.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Note: because this is a dedicated thread, no need to white out spoilers.

Got the LAST seat for a 3pm showing today at a non-premium theater. Unfortunately, it was in the first row. Ugh. At least it was a seat.

1. I think Rey is a Kenobi. Han and Luke were ruled out, assuming that Kylo was telling the truth.
      2. The kid in the last scene is Luke's son. It seemed to be an orphanage of sorts, and that would be a bit of history repeating itself.

I loved the movie. Loved it. However, to nitpick, borrowed a couple too many things from Empire. The obvious being the Hoth-like planet at the end.

I'll probably see it again, to pick up on any details I might have missed the first time around. I do like the direction that this is going, though.
      Ray’s parents are nobodies and that boy is not a Skywalker. I think the point of the boy was to show that there are others out there that are naturally force sensitive and there is hope for the resistance. I think there will be a pretty big time jump for the next episode (during which Leia will die) . There has to be so that glimmer of hope can grown into a new rebellion. By then Rey will be a Jedi master and Kylo Ren will be more powerful. I guess they’ll kill Chewie off in the next one.

I think the worst thing for me, and this isn’t a big deal - it’s just a small issue I have with the new trilogy is basically what Han, Luke, Leia and the rest of the rebellion did in the original trilogy was all for nothing. A new creepy old dude with force lighting popped up out of no where and he even has a Vader wannabe sidekick and they had a new super weapon. I like that they took some things in a new direction with The Last Jedi, but I can’t help but be a little disappointed with how some of it has played out. I understand they wouldn’t have much of a story if the New Republic had brought about lasting peace, but I wish it had been a little less derivative and that the republic hadn’t folded so easily giving way to Empire/Emperor/Vader 2.0

Anyway, I enjoyed it, especially the last 3rd of the movie. I thought Finn’s side trip plot-line could have been removed and they could have done something else with his character. I think it was better than The Force Awakens. Definitely not even close to Empire. Light years better than the prequels.

Comment

If I had to rank them for me

Empire
        R1
        ANH
        ROTJ
        TLJ
        TFA
        ROTS
        AOTC
        TPM

I’m not sure of the order of ROTJ and TLJ

Comment

I loved the movie. Loved it. However, to nitpick, borrowed a couple too many things from Empire. The obvious being the Hoth-like planet at the end.

I'll probably see it again, to pick up on any details I might have missed the first time around. I do like the direction that this is going, though.
          I liked it, probably more as time goes on, but I, too, was disappointed how much was borrowed from Empire- way, way too much. There was also the Falcon doing some really trick flying, like they did to fly into the Death Star. And the cute animals. And the scene with Snoke, Ben/Kylo, and Rey was dead nuts repeat, up to a point. I know those are common themes through almost every movie that has conflict between generations. But it was too obvious in this one.

But they did take stuff from all of the original 3- it was almost as if Disney wanted to ignore those films. It wasn't just Empire. When I saw the long preview, I knew this was coming, but it was pretty distracting at times.

I also think the kid at the end was just some kid. Like Rey was strong with the force, without real lineage, so was he. And I'm sure there are more out there.

BTW, they did make it perfectly clear that there will always be conflict. Balance is too important.

Very good. And we know that there will be more.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            I also think the kid at the end was just some kid. Like Rey was strong with the force, without real lineage, so was he. And I'm sure there are more out there.
            Didn't Finn give the little kid his resistance ring? I thought he showed him something with the resistance logo on it so he wouldn't be scared.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              I liked it, probably more as time goes on, but I, too, was disappointed how much was borrowed from Empire- way, way too much. There was also the Falcon doing some really trick flying, like they did to fly into the Death Star. And the cute animals. And the scene with Snoke, Ben/Kylo, and Rey was dead nuts repeat, up to a point. I know those are common themes through almost every movie that has conflict between generations. But it was too obvious in this one.
              This comment here convinces me that no one will ever be happy. This movies was way different in so many ways and you're calling it a carbon copy. If this was a carbon copy then what was The Force Awakens? Disney took real chances with this film.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                This comment here convinces me that no one will ever be happy. This movies was way different in so many ways and you're calling it a carbon copy. If this was a carbon copy then what was The Force Awakens? Disney took real chances with this film.
                The Force Awakens was a virtual copy, too. I was near a computer when I saw that movie.

Sure, they took chances, but the areas that were copied were very, very distracting from the new parts. So I didn't notice the new parts so much.

Come on- the fight between Kylo and Skywalker was a carbon copy of Vader and Kenobi- since it was ALSO a distraction to get people out and Ben sacrificed himself. When you see that surrounded by a battle from Empire Strikes Back (salt vs. snow), how can you see the original parts?

My point- if you want to take chances, don't make the copies so very distracting. And so often.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Didn't Finn give the little kid his resistance ring? I thought he showed him something with the resistance logo on it so he wouldn't be scared.
                  Didn't see it happen, but he must have. Given what Rose talked about, the thought of resisting goes very deep in those kids. She was pretty adamant how crappy reality was there vs. what Finn was distracted by.

Comment

I have issues with both the force awakens and TLJ

They should have done something completely different. Not an empire 2.0 with an emperor 2.0, a whiny Darth Vader, and a girl Luke. Don’t get me wrong, I still liked the movies, but there is a ton of missed potential. I don’t think they will age well (R1 will I think).

I also have issues with the timeline. TFA and TLJ seem to take place over the course of a couple days. The first order hung out in the outer rim or wherever for 30 years and then the take over the galaxy in a couple days? In the new trilogy there is also no concept of travel time. Finn and Rose or whatever her name is can take time away from a 6 hour chase to go to Monte Carlo, get arrested, escape, and come back before the chase is over? The first orders already knocking at the front door of the old rebel base and they expect to be able to send for help and have anyone get there in time?

I thought Leia flying through space was dumb.
                    Last edited by BassAle; 12-16-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      It was good and I will see it again but it's not better than 4 and 5 but clearly better than 7.

imho the broom kid is far too young to be Luke's son. Not because it's biologically impossible but because I get the impression Luke's been in isolation far younger than that kid's been alive.

Rey is not a Kenobi.
                      It's biologically possible. But you could be right. I think that is what I liked best about the movie: this is gonna be a fun ride. Lots of questions.

This ties into Bass's post; it could be just some kid, that happens to have the Force in him.

And I totally marked out when Luke did his super Jedi trick, and when Yoda appeared.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's biologically possible. But you could be right. I think that is what I liked best about the movie: this is gonna be a fun ride. Lots of questions.

This ties into Bass's post; it could be just some kid, that happens to have the Force in him.

And I totally marked out when Luke did his super Jedi trick, and when Yoda appeared.
                        I thought Luke had already given up his body and was a force ghost. But, he didn't have that blue haze around him so that didn't make sense. Then he did it immediately afterwards, which bummed me out. Why? Did that drain all of his energy? Not really explained.

Again, I enjoyed the movie. But, I'm conflicted. I get why they are going towards the importance of new characters. But part of me did want to see a BA Luke come back and own some noobs for a few flicks. "What's that? You've got an old weird looking dude that's crazy strong with the dark side? Yawn. Hold my beer, Rey, watch how it's done."

Would have been fun.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          I thought Luke had already given up his body and was a force ghost. But, he didn't have that blue haze around him so that didn't make sense. Then he did it immediately afterwards, which bummed me out. Why? Did that drain all of his energy? Not really explained.

Again, I enjoyed the movie. But, I'm conflicted. I get why they are going towards the importance of new characters. But part of me did want to see a BA Luke come back and own some noobs for a few flicks. "What's that? You've got an old weird looking dude that's crazy strong with the dark side? Yawn. Hold my beer, Rey, watch how it's done."

Would have been fun.
                          That would have been fun. Armadillo and I were talking, and with Yoda coming back as a Force Ghost, we agreed that Luke could come back in the same way, and lay the smackdown. It's possible.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

I thought Leia flying through space was dumb.
                            Nothing has shown the power of the force more. They also expanded everything beyond Sith/Jedi which was incredible.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Nothing has shown the power of the force more. They also expanded everything beyond Sith/Jedi which was incredible.
                              That whole Kylo/Rey talk in the movie threw me off at first, because it was so different from how the Force worked in the past. I read the Rolling Stone article (since no spoilers) about the movie and everyone involved is admitting, yeah, making sh* up as we go along. They are Don Adams-ing these movies, and it's great, IMO.

Comment

That whole Kylo/Rey talk in the movie threw me off at first, because it was so different from how the Force worked in the past. I read the Rolling Stone article (since no spoilers) about the movie and everyone involved is admitting, yeah, making sh* up as we go along. They are Don Adams-ing these movies, and it's great, IMO.
                                I don't think expansion is making sh** up. It's interesting. I'm a nerd and I love Canon as much as the next guy. However, I also love storytelling and expansion of that Canon. It's like with this film everyone wants something new but still wants it all to fit in a neat little box. That doesn't make and sense to me.

Also, fiction is making sh** up. Isn't this fiction? I didn't see based on a true story anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X