This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I don't remember what our final terms were, which is bad since I'm a co-writer.
    That's why we have staff and aides.

Count it all equally
    Everyone files single
    Deduct $45,000 (indexed on cost of living for your area).

Where we disagree is the rates. You favored a 90% top rate. Mine was 45%.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Count it all equally
      Everyone files single

Oh. OK, yes, I can go with that.

I believe I said 90% top marginal personal income tax rate if we dropped the corporate rate to 0. If we kept the corporate rate then top marginal rate could top out around 75%.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Count it all equally
        Everyone files single

no deductions or exceptions
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Correct. No nothing.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Correct. No nothing.
            And nothing above or below the line.
            Let's say Spouse A makes $62,000 and
            Spouse B makes $90,000. Let's also say they live in a high cost area and the index takes the deduction to $50,000.

The taxable income on A would be $12,000 and on B $40,000.

Both their rates are 15%.
            A would pay $1,800 & B would pay $6,000.

In our second example, on the other side of town, C makes $200,000 and D makes $2,000,000.
            C's tax would be $22,500 (150K • .15)
            I believe Kep and I diverge on D
            D would pay $387,500 ($150,000 on first million and the 25% on the $950,000 balance)
            Last edited by joecct; 12-28-2017, 03:24 PM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It's too bad in a way that they did not pass a standalone corporate tax reform bill first and then address personal income tax separately.

Obama in 2012 proposed a significant cut in the corporate rate.

If it was a good idea then, why isn't it still a good idea now?
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Definitely not. I'm tired of offering deductions just because you didn't wear a rubber or take the pill (or your religion forbids those). You have a kid? Then prepare to pay the price for your lack of vision for at least the next 18 years!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  It's too bad in a way that they did not pass a standalone corporate tax reform bill first and then address personal income tax separately.

Obama in 2012 proposed a significant cut in the corporate rate.

If it was a good idea then, why isn't it still a good idea now?
                  It wasn't a good idea then.

Comment

I’m in favor of lowering the corporate rate. But I’d also eliminate most deductions. Entertainment, advertising, insurance, interest. No more pass throughs either. Corporate taxes are collected on all income. If a subsidiary makes a buck overseas, too bad.

And I’d also restructure how write offs are taken. No more spreading them out over years. There’s a cap on how long you can wait to take them. If that’s not feasible, then write offs are also gone. Maybe that’s insane. I’m not a corporate tax expert.

Basically I want to see the effective rate for corporations at 20% plus. I honestly don’t really care how we get there.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Basically I want to see the effective rate for corporations at 20% plus.
                      I am perfectly willing to have corporate taxes at zero as long as wealthy owners of corporations and their high salary lackeys pay very high rates and all use of corporate property by owners and managers is taxed as income.

The obvious way to do this is to spread ownership of corporations across the entire worker population and into the user base as much as is feasible, and in a real, flat way, not in the nonsense way now where principle owners still retain majority shares. Imagine if a shareholders' meet was real and not just banana republic bullsh-t? Imagine if the people who decided corporate policy were directly incentified to build a strong company for themselves and their kids and not just Wall Street parasites?
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I am perfectly willing to have corporate taxes at zero as long as wealthy owners of corporations and their high salary lackeys pay very high rates and all use of corporate property by owners and managers is taxed as income.

The obvious way to do this is to spread ownership of corporations across the entire worker population and into the user base as much as is feasible, and in a real, flat way, not in the nonsense way now where principle owners still retain majority shares. Imagine if a shareholders' meet was real and not just banana republic bullsh-t? Imagine if the people who decided corporate policy were directly incentified to build a strong company for themselves and their kids and not just Wall Street parasites?
                        why do you hate america?

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I’m also not a fan of different classes of shares. Maybe it’s because I don’t understand the nuances.

I’m 100% on board with your first paragraph. The use of corporate property should be taxable regardless. It’s insane what some of these CEOs get. I know what mine gets and he effectively has zero expenses.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Definitely not. I'm tired of offering deductions just because you didn't wear a rubber or take the pill (or your religion forbids those). You have a kid? Then prepare to pay the price for your lack of vision for at least the next 18 years!
                            Do you thank your parents for their lack of vision?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Do you thank your parents for their lack of vision?
                              There are times I do and times I don't. I inherited my mom's temper, her attitude of service, her love of Neil Diamond, and her sick sense of humor.

I don't thank her for the depression or anxiety, though.

I got my love of hockey and my sarcasm from my biological father.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                If you don’t deduct for kids or dependents, how do you justify a lower limit for no taxes?

Also, the idea of taxing only individuals means everyone pretty much has to work just to have a family. I don’t see that as a good thing, either.

Both of those have some side effects that few will want, one being that the unemployment rate will spike up for the tax breaks for fully working families will get.

Comment

Working...
                                X