Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

This is simply shown by how many 4wd vehicles you see doing 45+mph with snow on the road... Yea, 4wd helps you get going, but it dont do crap to help you stop.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Truth. I've had 4 vehicles in my life. A 4Cyl Corsica, a 6Cyl Corsica, a 6Cyl Wrangler, and a 6Cyl Camaro. Never ditched any of those. Zero accidents, minus one scuff a couple weeks ago, in a parking lot that was pure BS. I'm finding that it's not the SUVs that people don't know how to drive, it's the bruh-trucks/aka "I have 4WD, whatever" that are in the ditch. If you look back, we spent 60-70 yrs with RWD and survived...just sayin'.
      I had a 66 Chevy RWD but it was a tank and weighed a ton. I swear part of the problem with RWD is how light the cars are now. No Umph.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        I had a 66 Chevy RWD but it was a tank and weighed a ton. I swear part of the problem with RWD is how light the cars are now. No Umph.
        1st car was a 66 Chevy Belair. 250 6cyl and a 2 speed auto. That car was great in the snow!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          1st car was a 66 Chevy Belair. 250 6cyl and a 2 speed auto. That car was great in the snow!
          '73 V8 Plymouth Scamp. Hilariously underappreciated car. Everything I have driven since has felt like a Vespa.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

As other have stated or paraphrased:

All 4WD does is let you get stuck in places others can't get to.

Some cars have 4WD; all cars have four-wheel stop: Just because you can get going doesn't help you stop.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I've driven many different AWD systems (Volvo, Jaguar, Ford, Chevy) through various circumstances.

Subaru's is the one I choose.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                I've driven many different AWD systems (Volvo, Jaguar, Ford, Chevy) through various circumstances.

Subaru's is the one I choose.
                As was mentioned previously, Subaru's system does seem to be unique in that the awd is always engaged. Knowing that, it's not surprising that it would have the edge. Though I've read that Mazda's newer awd system is right there with Subaru.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  As other have stated or paraphrased:

All 4WD does is let you get stuck in places others can't get to.

Some cars have 4WD; all cars have four-wheel stop: Just because you can get going doesn't help you stop.
                  And none of it matters if you hit ice.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                    As was mentioned previously, Subaru's system does seem to be unique in that the awd is always engaged. Knowing that, it's not surprising that it would have the edge. Though I've read that Mazda's newer awd system is right there with Subaru.
                    I don't think that's true. I know Acura's is. Beyond that, I think most AWDs are full-time. It's whether you have full-time 4WD.

I've tried to get my MDX sideways just to see how far I can take it. Without taking it on glare ice and doing something stupid, I haven't been able to get it to kick out much at all.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    And none of it matters if you hit ice.
                    That's not entirely true either. If you're going straight, AWD should be able to find the wheels where torque is needed and where it's not. It should automatically change the torque at the wheels to give you your best scenario to maintain traction. Even if all four wheels are on ice, it can still help until you do something stupid like gun it and jerk the steering wheel. I know Acura tested their AWD on a 20% and 30% incline where half the wheels were on ice. You can see an example of why torque vectoring is important. Of the Lexus, Audi, and Acura, only the Acura made it up. (Link) That video is a number of years old (7-8?) so I'm guessing it's only gotten better. I don't know how the new Lexus and Audi systems perform.

Edit: It sounds like Acura's is the only one with torque vectoring. Huh...
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-26-2018, 12:09 PM.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I don't think that's true. I know Acura's is and almost certainly Audi's as well. Beyond that, I think most AWDs are full-time. It's whether you have full-time 4WD.
                      Yeah, I very well may be mistaken. Perhaps it's about the default front-rear torque split that sets Subaru apart. I have an awd Honda that I'm pretty sure is purely 2wd during normal conditions. I just assumed that type of system was the norm.

Comment

Perhaps it's about the default front-rear torque split that sets Subaru apart.
                        Subaru actually has 50/50 torque split in most of its manual transmission cars, and 60/40 in automatics (or CVT's).

By definition AWD is just that... All Wheel Drive, all of the time. Otherwise it's a part time 4 Wheel Drive system. Another misnomer is Full Time 4 Wheel Drive... that's really All Wheel Drive. At the end of the day it's all marketing hype. What really sets today's vehicle's apart from the older ones are the stability control systems.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          Subaru actually has 50/50 torque split in most of its manual transmission cars, and 60/40 in automatics (or CVT's).

By definition AWD is just that... All Wheel Drive, all of the time. Otherwise it's a part time 4 Wheel Drive system. Another misnomer is Full Time 4 Wheel Drive... that's really All Wheel Drive. At the end of the day it's all marketing hype. What really sets today's vehicle's apart from the older ones are the stability control systems.
                          My old Wrangler had 4WD which could be engaged on the fly. Otherwise it was 2WD. It was driver's choice on when to engage 4WD.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah, I very well may be mistaken. Perhaps it's about the default front-rear torque split that sets Subaru apart. I have an awd Honda that I'm pretty sure is purely 2wd during normal conditions. I just assumed that type of system was the norm.
                            I've edited my original post. It's hard to tell since manufacturers are changing their AWD systems trying to play catch-up to Subaru. Acura seems to have done that with the suite of sensors and technology. Quattro has a different setup than both Subaru and Acura though. They're all probably better for their own set of conditions.

My SUV is generally 60-70% FWD and 30-40% RWD under normal highway conditions. If I jam on the gas on dry pavement it changes that completely.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I've had 2 VW vehicles, both with the 4Motion AWD system. Both have been in the Northern NY winter weather, and I was pleased with both.

My current ride, VW Touareg, did a heck of a job when I drove up there a couple years ago. Had the whole mix spectrum from PA to Albany, and the car didn't have any issues at all.

Of course, again and has been said, being a smart driver in crap conditions helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                I've had 2 VW vehicles, both with the 4Motion AWD system. Both have been in the Northern NY winter weather, and I was pleased with both.

My current ride, VW Touareg, did a heck of a job when I drove up there a couple years ago. Had the whole mix spectrum from PA to Albany, and the car didn't have any issues at all.

Of course, again and has been said, being a smart driver in crap conditions helps a lot.
                                Well, the smart drivers probably pull over at the first motel. But caution and experience will help the determined not so smart driver get through.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X