Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

We've reached the date where all of the teams have played two different opponents, and so the Pairwise can now be fully calculated!

My Pairwise calculator is live, and it is the only Pairwise on the internet that includes all of the eligible teams:

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ngs-calculator

I included a "switch" at the top of the calculator which will include or exclude the D1/D2 independents from the rankings. If you switch it "off," it will still include games against these teams, but it will basically do what the Pairwise did last year which is pretend they aren't eligible (i.e. any wins against top independents will not give a quality win bonus, and all 6 teams will be in 35th through 40th in the rankings with a 0.000 RPI).

Note though that the proper way to mirror the NCAA selection committee is to include all eligible teams, and then base the quality win bonus off that. So right now USCHO is giving a 1st place QWB for beating Wisconsin, but the committee confirmed that they are going to rank all eligible teams and then assign QWB off that. So since St. Anselm is currently in first, beating Wisconsin would give a 2nd place QWB, not 1st.

And lastly, the question of how RPI awards its “Quality Wins Bonus” was worth addressing as well. If a team finished #1 in the RPI but was not selected for the tournament based on its “full body of work,” would a team that beat them still receive the 0.060 QWB associated with it, or would that team be removed from the RPI entirely?

Fraser confirmed the answer to this for us as well:

The data used to evaluate teams will not be altered based on which teams are selected to the field.
    Here are my KRACH and GRaNT calculators.

It doesn't look like Rutter is updated anymore
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 11-04-2017, 11:26 PM.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Grant - I don't think you can exclude the Alliance from the PWR calculations as they are *technically* eligible for selection even if the committee excludes them.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Grant - I don't think you can exclude the Alliance from the PWR calculations as they are *technically* eligible for selection even if the committee excludes them.
      Oh I agree, that's why I'm not -- I'm just giving the reader the option of removing them and looking at it as if they don't exist if they feel like it. It defaults to including them.

Comment

I would be interested in obtaining your votes for this poll:

https://***********/Salzano14/status/933386555544174593

Comment

I do not have a Twitter Acct.

Krack
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            I do not have a Twitter Acct.

Krack
            Correct!

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ronounce-krach

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              But then we lose KRACH rot. But its proponents are high on KRACH.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What about the GRaNT. Someone insisted it's a soft "G." I don't agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                  What about the GRaNT. Someone insisted it's a soft "G." I don't agree with them.
                  It's pronounced "grunt."

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                    My 17 year old cousin in Arizona likes to tell me I'm a "Soft G" so this is pretty funny lol

Comment

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...elected-or-not

(Candace, please don't shoot me)

Comment

Habemus BRACKETOLOGUM!

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

We're using our Pairwise, which is correct, instead of USCHO's, which is incorrect.

Comment

Habemus BRACKETOLOGUM!

We're using our Pairwise, which is correct, instead of USCHO's, which is incorrect.
                          You might throw out an extra prompting post over at the Ohio State thread. For obvious reasons, they are paying more attention to this stuff this year, as their Pairwise and RPI questions showed.

Comment

Habemus BRACKETOLOGUM!

ECAC is gonna be a real crap shoot and it would not surprise me when all the ice has settled you end up with the following

1) Wisconsin
                            2) Clarkson/Colgate
                            3) BC
                            4) Ohio State
                            5) Colgate/Clarkson
                            6) Minnesota
                            7) Maine/NE/Providence/Cornell
                            8) Robert Morris

Does the committee now do the following

Minny to Wisconsin
                            Colgate to Clarkson or vice versa
                            Maine/NE/Prov to BC
                            Robert Morris to Ohio State

Minny to Wisconsin
                            Cornell to Colgate/Clarkson
                            Colgate/Clarkson to BC
                            Robert Morris to Ohio State

Gonna be some fun times in March.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              You might throw out an extra prompting post over at the Ohio State thread. For obvious reasons, they are paying more attention to this stuff this year, as their Pairwise and RPI questions showed.
                              This is true! I will do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X