Minnesota State - turbocharging the Mavericks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agfire View Post
    They most definitely looked tired. As the season has progressed, they keep doing the same things. No line changes, no powerplay. Keep pushing the upperclassmen out there for every situation thus wiping out their legs for late game efforts.
    Hmm sounds like it's not the players making those decisions. So maybe people will finally listen when I repeat what I've said before, that the two guys on this coaching staff aren't any good.
    Last edited by shelfit; 02-16-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Re: Minnesota State - turbocharging the Mavericks

You have it wrong: why wouldn't you end up at MSU and play every game and show how good you are like Selander. As long as she can handle losing and stealing a game here or there she will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Hmm sounds like it's not the players making those decisions. So maybe people will finally listen when I repeat what I've said before, that the two guys on this coaching staff aren't any good.
        Just because they have combined women’s head coaching record of 103-277-49?

Comment

Gotta give the Mavs lots of credit for a great effort this evening. They very much hung in there with the Gophers during the first two periods, skated and tried extremely hard, made some very nice plays, and in fact took a 2-1 lead about 8 minutes into the second period. But what agfire said about them "wiping out their legs for late game efforts" seemed to come true later on, as the Gophers finally came alive, outshooting the Mavs 22-5 in the 3rd and brief overtime. I thought it was a combination of the Mavs tiring out (they played SO hard up until that point), and the Gophers going into their "buzz mode", applying pressure all over the ice and not giving the Mavs hardly any time to make a play.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Gotta give the Mavs lots of credit for a great effort this evening. They very much hung in there with the Gophers during the first two periods, skated and tried extremely hard, made some very nice plays, and in fact took a 2-1 lead about 8 minutes into the second period. But what agfire said about them "wiping out their legs for late game efforts" seemed to come true later on, as the Gophers finally came alive, outshooting the Mavs 22-5 in the 3rd and brief overtime. I thought it was a combination of the Mavs tiring out (they played SO hard up until that point), and the Gophers going into their "buzz mode", applying pressure all over the ice and not giving the Mavs hardly any time to make a play.
            Minnesota accomplished nothing on the extended power play in the third, which included 1:08 with only three Mavericks on the ice, but it really looked like killing that off sucked the last life out of MSU's legs. From there on, it was only a question of whether the Gophers would run out of time before scoring enough goals to win.

Comment

Been watching the Mavericks all year and was excited to see their great start. Then they started to slide. What happened to the powerplay? I was watching the Wisconsin game and the announcers said that they are overplaying their first line. He said they roll them out for every powerplay and seem to leave them on the ice too long. I do remember an earlier game where the announcer made the comment that they had been on the ice for three minutes and thirty seconds, that is way too long for anyone no matter how good they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Milty View Post
                Been watching the Mavericks all year and was excited to see their great start. Then they started to slide. What happened to the powerplay? I was watching the Wisconsin game and the announcers said that they are overplaying their first line. He said they roll them out for every powerplay and seem to leave them on the ice too long. I do remember an earlier game where the announcer made the comment that they had been on the ice for three minutes and thirty seconds, that is way too long for anyone no matter how good they are.
                Lmao. That is some exceptional coaching....if all that is true because we all know announcers never get anything wrong, especially college announcers. Again, IF all that is true then it sounds like they're draining the tank of all its gas instead of turbocharging things. They need to show trust in more players than just the first line. Thìs is why players talk about coaches using favouritism in their decisions. Not good for team chemistry.
                Last edited by shelfit; 02-22-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

After watching tonight's game, Shelfit you appear to have hit the nail on the head. Neither team had good defense and the goaltending from both teams was not very good. After all I have read about both of these goalies, I was disappointed. The UMD coaches did a good job of trying to match lines and seemed like they were constantly tweaking things while the Mankato bench just kept throwing their first line out there for everything. Some of the young players in this game looked very good, like 17 from UMD and 19 and 17 from Mankato. Its too bad that the Mankato coaches don't appear to really trust their other lines. I think that first line was too tired the whole third period otherwise they would have won.
                  And to your point, Scanlon from Bemidji even made fun of Mankato when he said "we know who they are going to put out there, they never change"
                  Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Lmao. That is some exceptional coaching....if all that is true because we all know announcers never get anything wrong, especially college announcers. Again, IF all that is true then it sounds like they're draining the tank of all its gas instead of turbocharging things. They need to show trust in more players than just the first line. Thìs is why players talk about coaches using favouritism in their decisions. Not good for team chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by Milty View Post
                    After watching tonight's game, Shelfit you appear to have hit the nail on the head. Neither team had good defense and the goaltending from both teams was not very good. After all I have read about both of these goalies, I was disappointed. The UMD coaches did a good job of trying to match lines and seemed like they were constantly tweaking things while the Mankato bench just kept throwing their first line out there for everything. Some of the young players in this game looked very good, like 17 from UMD and 19 and 17 from Mankato. Its too bad that the Mankato coaches don't appear to really trust their other lines. I think that first line was too tired the whole third period otherwise they would have won.
                    And to your point, Scanlon from Bemidji even made fun of Mankato when he said "we know who they are going to put out there, they never change"
                    Caught 1/2 of the third period and agree - the players that were constantly on the ice for the Mavs looked tired. I’ve seen them play, they’re good players but take their legs away and it looks painful. Don’t get the so called lack of trust for their own recruits??? They’re not going to do anything this year so why not get the younger players experience in key situations ???

Comment

I watched the third period and overtime and thought MSU dominated at times. They outshot UMD 15-9 in the third period. They had 38 shots for the game. Looking at the box score their first line had 10 shots on goal, the second line had 3, and the third line had 11. The third line scored all three goals and two came in the third period. Those numbers don't really fit the narrative you're describing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kato Puckman View Post
                        I watched the third period and overtime and thought MSU dominated at times. They outshot UMD 15-9 in the third period. They had 38 shots for the game. Looking at the box score their first line had 10 shots on goal, the second line had 3, and the third line had 11. The third line scored all three goals and two came in the third period. Those numbers don't really fit the narrative you're describing.
                        My narrative was focused on their first line being over played, they looked tired. That being said the third line saw more ice late in both UMD games which, surprise, ended in ties. Maybe that means the staff is gaining trust in their younger players . . . in the last series of the season! Too little too late??? I guess we’ll see.

Comment

They seem to be recruiting well so the third lines should see more time over the next couple of years.
                          Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
                            They seem to be recruiting well so the third lines should see more time over the next couple of years.
                            While I do not necessarily disagree with this statement, I do hope that the new recruits bring an upgrade defensively as well. The goaltender saw way too many shots this past year and the defense was way too offensive minded leaving the team in some difficult situations.

Offensively the Mavericks should be deeper next year for sure. The second line from this season provided the most chances and should be a force in the conference nest year. They could have been more effective this year but the first line was way overplayed.

Lots of optimism for next year indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytilIdie View Post
                              My narrative was focused on their first line being over played, they looked tired. That being said the third line saw more ice late in both UMD games which, surprise, ended in ties. Maybe that means the staff is gaining trust in their younger players . . . in the last series of the season! Too little too late??? I guess we’ll see.
                              I agree, there was enough talent on this team to not overplay that first line. Hopefully it improves as this team will be deeper next year.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
                                While I do not necessarily disagree with this statement, I do hope that the new recruits bring an upgrade defensively as well. The goaltender saw way too many shots this past year and the defense was way too offensive minded leaving the team in some difficult situations.

Offensively the Mavericks should be deeper next year for sure. The second line from this season provided the most chances and should be a force in the conference nest year. They could have been more effective this year but the first line was way overplayed.

Lots of optimism for next year indeed!
                                Mavs have two of the best in the country rolling into town for the upcoming Fall. The top goalie in MN and Also a top goal scorer as well form MN. Good combo. Keep it out of the net and put it in the other teams net. Calla Frank and Kelcey King will be a Turbocharge indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X