Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part VI: Tax Cuts Are More Important Than Your Health Care!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The PPACA Thread Part VI: Tax Cuts Are More Important Than Your Health Care!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think this is a legitimate fear, though it might also force legislators to legislate compromises, and more importantly not to train their followers to be rabid animals.
    That's an incredibly naive opinion given that AM radio has been around for decades and the internet now exists.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Re: The PPACA Thread Part VI: Tax Cuts Are More Important Than Your Health Care!

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
      That's an incredibly naive opinion given that AM radio has been around for decades and the internet now exists.
      I'll admit I haven't entirely convinced myself.

Still, though, the states are vestigial and a pure national system where the states essentially cease to exist is in my opinion a better way to run a modern state. At least ditch the Senate and the ridiculous EC.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Still, though, the states are vestigial and a pure national system where the states essentially cease to exist is in my opinion a better way to run a modern state. At least ditch the Senate and the ridiculous EC.
        If the States go, what do you call this country? Federated Republic of North America? Democratic Peoples Republic of North America? New France?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So what happened to all those nice Lutherans? Did they suddenly just get stupid? Did black people move in and give them the a-scurreds?

Seriously, I thought both those states were supposed to be smart, and they had much less of a fundy derp problem than the prairies. The f-ck?
          "Minnesota Nice" is fallacy.

There have been books written showing as much.
          http://www.startribune.com/review-a-...hin/374045241/

They're "Minnesota nice" as long as you conform.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 11-02-2017, 09:41 AM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I believe there's a supreme court case IRT the whole winner takes all approach that states have (might be the same case as the gerrymandering one, not sure).

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              I believe there's a supreme court case IRT the whole winner takes all approach that states have (might be the same case as the gerrymandering one, not sure).
              If there is, that's an easy one. States can apportion their EVs however they want. They could draw lots, if they wanted to. Constitution is pretty clear on that point.

Comment

Yeah they can obviously but it doesn't make sense to do it that way when every other state is doing winner take all. Especially when those states are gerrymandered to the core and your vote is basically being thrown away every time due to which state you live in.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  They could draw lots, if they wanted to.
                  Well... it has to fit the "republican" standard. I think the Court would insist the state's EV be apportioned at least remotely defensible as the popular will.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well... it has to fit the "republican" standard. I think the Court would insist the state's EV be apportioned at least remotely defensible as the popular will.
                    Article II, Section 1: "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

The "Republican" form of government applies to the makeup of the state government. It doesn't apply to the choosing of electors for the electoral college.

This is also how the national popular vote compact works at the constitutional level. Because the states can apportion their EVs however the Legislature thereof chooses.
                    Last edited by unofan; 11-02-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

The "Republican" form of government applies to the makeup of the state government. It doesn't apply to the choosing of electors for the electoral college.
                      So you're telling me Texas can pass a law giving all its electoral votes in perpetuity to the Republican Party?
                      Cornell University

Comment

So you're telling me Texas can pass a law giving all its electoral votes in perpetuity to the Republican Party?
                        Well, it's a method of choosing electors, not the votes themselves directly, but yeah, they could probably find a way to rig it that way if they wanted to.

In theory, they'd then get voted out the following election and the law would be changed, but there's nothing constitutionally prohibiting them from doing that.
                        Last edited by unofan; 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Well, it's a method of choosing electors, not the votes themselves directly, but yeah, they could probably find a way to rig it that way if they wanted to.

In theory, they'd then get voted out the following election and the law would be changed, but there's nothing constitutionally prohibiting them from doing that.
                          I can't see that getting past any voter disenfranchisement laws and statutes.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            I can't see that getting past any voter disenfranchisement laws and statutes.
                            The Constitution trumps all, and it explicitly gives states the right to appoint electors in the manner directed by the legislature.

No law or statute can trump the Constitution.

Again, this is how the National Popular Vote Compact is constitutional (or would be, if enough states signed on to it).
                            Last edited by unofan; 11-02-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

The Constitution trumps all, and it explicitly gives states the right to appoint electors in the manner directed by the legislature.

No law or statute can trump the Constitution.

Again, this is how the National Popular Vote Compact is constitutional (or would be, if enough states signed on to it).
                              In the real world, I can't see Kennedy + the 4 Libs seeing it that way. Hell, they might even have trouble with Roberts and Thomas.

National Voter Compact hasn't gone to court yet I don't believe, and besides that has a rational basis (whoever wins the popular vote nationally) that's not purely partisan.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                In the real world, I can't see Kennedy + the 4 Libs seeing it that way. Hell, they might even have trouble with Roberts and Thomas.

National Voter Compact hasn't gone to court yet I don't believe, and besides that has a rational basis (whoever wins the popular vote nationally) that's not purely partisan.
                                And I'm saying you don't need to be Scalia or Gorsuch and attempt to divine the founders original intent to read it as I do. You just have to read it as written in plain English.

I think you'd be surprised how much of a landslide it'd be. A clearly written, explicit Constitutional directive is one of the easiest calls for any judge to make. You'd have to really stretch the 14th Amendment to even have a cognizable argument the other way.
                                Last edited by unofan; 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X