Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Plattsburgh has NEVER played in a strong conference - always themselves and 1 or 2 other teams of significance (Elmira +1). The vast majority of their conference games have been against very weak teams. Doesn't seem to have held them back as they ride a 4 year national championship streak.....
    Wait a second. Think about it. What D3 women's conference has ever been more then 2-3 teams deep? Maybe at one point the ECAC West when it had Plattsburgh, Elmira, RIT, and Manhattanville. But those four teams in that conference was short lived.

And now it's gotten worse with all the conference breaking/splitting up. The CHC has no powerhouse in it (unless Endicott surprises us). The MAC has Manhattanville which hasn't been much lately. The NCHA has Adrian. The NEHC has Norwich. The NESCAC has Middlebury. The NEWHL has Plattsburgh. The UCHC has Elmira. The WIAC has River Falls. The MIAC has Gustavus Adolphus (and maybe Augsburg).

Let me know if you think any of those conferences have a second team which is a serious national championship contender? Unless there is an exception I'm missing, no top caliber team has any serious competition within their conference.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Wait a second. Think about it. What D3 women's conference has ever been more then 2-3 teams deep? Maybe at one point the ECAC West when it had Plattsburgh, Elmira, RIT, and Manhattanville. But those four teams in that conference was short lived.

And now it's gotten worse with all the conference breaking/splitting up. The CHC has no powerhouse in it (unless Endicott surprises us). The MAC has Manhattanville which hasn't been much lately. The NCHA has Adrian. The NEHC has Norwich. The NESCAC has Middlebury. The NEWHL has Plattsburgh. The UCHC has Elmira. The WIAC has River Falls. The MIAC has Gustavus Adolphus (and maybe Augsburg).

Let me know if you think any of those conferences have a second team which is a serious national championship contender? Unless there is an exception I'm missing, no top caliber team has any serious competition within their conference.

NESCAC with Amherst. They’re always neck and neck with Middlebury and have consistently been in the nationals run. Strong history with the 2 National championships as well

Comment

Originally posted by NoChangeOnIcing View Post
        NESCAC with Amherst. They’re always neck and neck with Middlebury and have consistently been in the nationals run. Strong history with the 2 National championships as well
        The talent on those two teams has been very equal, the difference is that it always comes down to coaching. One team coaches to win, the other does not. My money would be on Middlebury every game when the chips are down (i.e. playoff time)

Comment

Agree. DIII is so watered down now that there are so many new teams and lack/absence of Canadians. Underwhelming to say the least. Even this forum has become boring.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
            Agree. DIII is so watered down now that there are so many new teams and lack/absence of Canadians. Underwhelming to say the least. Even this forum has become boring.
            And the men are different, how? A small # of conferences are 2 deep, but all the players are following the true NCAA ideal of students first and athletes second.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              And the men are different, how? A small # of conferences are 2 deep,
              The original premise was that Plattsburgh has nobody to test them in their new conference for preparation when the national playoffs come around.

I pointed out this is essentially true for all women's conferences.

On the men's side, there may be the usual 2-3 dominant teams in every conference, but there are plenty of middle of the road teams that can test a top team (didn't Canton just beat Plattsburgh? Didn't Fredonia just beat Geneseo?). I hardly ever see a middle of the road women's team even putting a scare to the top teams never mind test them. That is truly the exception on the women's side. Not so on the men's side. Also, look at the number of blowouts you see on the women's side vs. the men's side. You never see the competitive level so far apart on the men's side that they have to pass the puck four times before allowing themselves to shoot. You see those kind of games every year for the women.

I stand by what I say. The depth is just not there on the women's side like it is on the men's side. Hopefully, one day it will get there. But right now, it's not.

but all the players are following the true NCAA ideal of students first and athletes second.
              And this has absolutely nothing to do with the original premise and my expansion on that premise.
              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 11-06-2017, 09:24 AM.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by NoChangeOnIcing View Post
                True. I overlooked Amherst.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

True. I overlooked Amherst.
                  the nescac is the exception. in the other Confs you typically have one powerhouse, maybe two...but you have a lot of below average and several really, really bad teams. In the nescac you usually have Midd/Amherst ranked in the top 10 and 3-4 other teams that are ranked at one time or another and usually finish in what would be the top 15 [team like Conn or Trin, Bow, Hammy, Williams over the past 5 years]...and even the bad teams [Wesly or Colby] can beat you on any given Sunday [ok, last year's Colby team notwithstanding]. Coaches/players can't take games off in the nescac or they will lose...that's certainly not true for the other conferences...Platty can literally put a pylon in goal and beat 2/3rds of the teams in it's Conf.

Comment

2/3 x 4 = 2.6667
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      2/3 x 4 = 2.6667
                      I'm talking about the past several years....when they had more teams in Conf. IDK what they have anymore...other than a joke

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        You're supposed to switch ends for each OT. The thinking being the long change increases goal scoring which should decrease ties.
                        Which would obviously have flavored Adrian because the Jills would never have been able to get out of their own zone for a line change, and Adrian would have scored when the Jills ran out of gas.

So my question remains, what is the current rule for OT, and is it applicable across the board for all conferences, every level, and both genders? Also, if the rule is still to switch ends, why did they not do that for this game?

Comment

• Russell, your observations are spot on.

For the pro-NESCAC people, Amherst only became competitive in Jim Plumer's 4th year. Before that they had many years of not being competitive. Until someone can knock Middlebury from their pedestal on a regular basis the NESCAC is no different from the other conferences that have one team that annually seems to make it to the NCAA tournament and those teams are the same teams every year as Russell already pointed out. Nobody cares about the also-rans. Until Amherst broke through and won the national championship 2 years in a row they were an also-ran and that's pretty much where they are again. Even Middlebury is among the second tier teams in the NCAA playoffs. Nobody really expects them or Gustavus or River Falls to be able to win the title, so it's all relative.
                          Last edited by shelfit; 11-06-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Russell, your observations are spot on.

For the pro-NESCAC people, Amherst only became competitive in Jim Plumer's 4th year. Before that they had many years of not being competitive. Until someone can knock Middlebury from their pedestal on a regular basis the NESCAC is no different from the other conferences that have one team that annually seems to make it to the NCAA tournament and those teams are the same teams every year as Russell already pointed out. Nobody cares about the also-rans. Until Amherst broke through and won the national championship 2 years in a row they were an also-ran and that's pretty much where they are again. Even Middlebury is among the second tier teams in the NCAA playoffs. Nobody really expects them or Gustavus or River Falls to be able to win the title, so it's all relative.
                            Man, I hate to support CrossCheck but here it goes....

The original premise was that Plattsburgh has no serious competition in their new league (they don't) and therefore will not be prepared for the NCAAs. I pointed out that they have never really had serious competition in their league (except for Elmira and maybe one other sporadically) and it doesn't appear to hurt them come NCAA time. Russell pointed out that no league has more than 1 or 2 good teams, which is generally true.

However, I would have to support CrossCheck's assertion that this is not completely correct and that the NESCAC does frequently have multiple high competition teams. In addition to Middlebury and Amherst, Williams and Trinity have won the league in recent years as an example and others (Connecticut) have been close. The league almost always has 4 or more teams that are highly competitive and consistently challenge other NCAA bound teams. There are very few blowouts in the NESCAC between any two teams including Middlebury. No other league has a deeper competitive balance. In fact, I would argue that this in fact serves to the detriment of NESCAC NCAA participants as it wears the teams down while teams from other conferences are far fresher come NCAA time because they play their 3rd and 4th lines all third period in most league games.

By the way, Jim Plumer's 4th year at Amherst was like 10 years ago, so who cares that they weren't competitive before then - other NESCAC teams were instead of them (although Middlebury did have more of a stranglehold then).

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

By the way, Jim Plumer's 4th year at Amherst was like 10 years ago, so who cares that they weren't competitive before then - other NESCAC teams were instead of them (although Middlebury did have more of a stranglehold then).
                              Ahem, I do seem to recall that Bowdoin (you must remember I dream in black and white) made the first two NCAA ('01-'02 and '02-'03) final four.

Comment

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                                Ahem, I do seem to recall that Bowdoin (you must remember I dream in black and white) made the first two NCAA ('01-'02 and '02-'03) final four.
                                Lol, let me put some aluminum foil on the antenna to help bring in your dream's signal a little better.

Comment

Working...
                                X