2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
    No approval yet, but take a look at point 9.Championship Format (page 5) in the June Report. The basis for the increase seems to be additional sponsorship!

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...g_20170912.pdf
    Note that the playin game will be at the site of one of the QF host teams on Friday with the winner playing on the next day.

Will it always be 8 v 9 at #1? Methinks travel considerations could lead to a couple of head scratchers.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Note that the playin game will be at the site of one of the QF host teams on Friday with the winner playing on the next day.

Will it always be 8 v 9 at #1? Methinks travel considerations could lead to a couple of head scratchers.
      My guess is, if it’s a 6-3 split, it will be W3 vs. W2 at W1. If it’s a 5-4 split, it would be E5 vs. E4 at E1.

Comment

Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
        No approval yet, but take a look at point 9.Championship Format (page 5) in the June Report. The basis for the increase seems to be additional sponsorship!

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...g_20170912.pdf
        Another interesting note from that document is they're removing Last 25 from the secondary criteria and adding non-conference strength of schedule to the secondary criteria this season. They are adding Strength of Victory to secondary criteria in 18-19. My understanding is that a team's Strength of Victory is the combined winning percentage of teams a team has beaten, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Comment

UW-River Falls and Norwich tie 3-3 in Adrian's tournament. River Falls wins the shootout and will play the winner of Adrian/Stevenson.

Comment

Castleton drubbed Becker despite having 2 less skaters, 7-2. Becker's goals came in the third when it was already 7-0...

Oswego up 2-0 over NEC early.

Adrian leading Stevenson 1-0 in the first.

Comment

Plattsburgh 5 Utica 0
              Two well played periods degenerated a bit into a physical, chippy 3rd. Moriarity and Sheeran 2 goals apiece with Wolf scoring once.
              Abbott with the shutout going 26/26 (shots were 45-26) .
              Sheeran went to the bench at one point with a hand/wrist problem, but soon returned to the ice.
              Actual punches thrown as the seconds ran out in the 3rd.
              Last edited by obserbear; 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM. Reason: shots

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                Plattsburgh 5 Utica 0
                Two well played periods degenerated a bit into a physical, chippy 3rd. Moriarity and Sheeran 2 goals apiece with Wolf scoring once.
                Abbott with the shutout, although shots were like a zillion to some.
                Sheeran went to the bench at one point with a hand/wrist problem, but soon returned to the ice.
                Actual punches thrown as the seconds ran out in the 3rd.
                On the last shift there was big contact in the Plattsburgh defensive end involving Plattsburgh freshman Madison Walker right and then in Utica's end it got physical with a tie-up on the boards and some shoving. Punches started with Meghan Power of Utica coming into the scrum. Power and Walker ended up going into the box for roughing along with Utica's Rebecca Brown. Also going in the box in this dust-up is Plattsburgh's Courtney Moriarty.

Thought Plattsburgh looked very fast. Moriarty attacking early brought them ahead. The Sheeran-Songin-Meneghin line looked like they are already firing on all cylinders. Sarah Wolf creating her own breakaway looked so much like the breakaway goal Giovanna Senese had in 2015 against Elmira in the National Championship game it brought back great memories. Sophomore Kiraly really shined today on defense. There was one play where the puck got past her freshman defensive partner McArdle that Kiraly sped back on right away that really stood out. Plattsburgh freshman Abby Brush showed to be a very fast, skilled skater. Sophomore Jen Manning who saw limited action last season also looked very good today.

Comment

Adrian looks to have reloaded nicely. Anyone catch the games? And it appears Adrian didn't even have Lupi in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    Castleton drubbed Becker despite having 2 less skaters, 7-2. Becker's goals came in the third when it was already 7-0...

Oswego up 2-0 over NEC early.

Adrian leading Stevenson 1-0 in the first.

Castleton also played Oswego really well on Saturday. Oswego outplayed them in the second but they came back in the third and gave Oswego all they could handle. Lost with about 35 seconds to go in OT.

A few of their freshmen are contributing right away which is nice to see. Not saying they're going to win it all but Coach Salerno has already put her thumbprint all over this team (more than folks realize) and it's very positive. Expect they may surprise a few folks if the trend continues.

Comment

The NEWHL finally put together a website ( http://northeastwomenshockeyleague.com/landing/index ) and I noticed something very interesting.

On the top they list all teams, five of them. But then they show Canton and Morrisville with the note "2019-20." Did I miss something or is this the first indication the other two SUNY teams are going to eventually join their brethren in the NEWHL?

Of course, if the SUNYAC would get over their political wrangling and just admit those two programs as associate members (like they do with Morrisville men's ice hockey and women's field hockey), they can form a SUNYAC for women's hockey and immediately get an automatic bid.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        The NEWHL finally put together a website ( http://northeastwomenshockeyleague.com/landing/index ) and I noticed something very interesting.

On the top they list all teams, five of them. But then they show Canton and Morrisville with the note "2019-20." Did I miss something or is this the first indication the other two SUNY teams are going to eventually join their brethren in the NEWHL?

Of course, if the SUNYAC would get over their political wrangling and just admit those two programs as associate members (like they do with Morrisville men's ice hockey and women's field hockey), they can form a SUNYAC for women's hockey and immediately get an automatic bid.
                        I thought since the NEWHL gets to keep the ECAC West autobid that they would have two years to get to 7 and thus would get to keep the autobid? 17-18 and 18-19 as the grace years and then 7 for 19-20 and they are compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                          I thought since the NEWHL gets to keep the ECAC West autobid that they would have two years to get to 7 and thus would get to keep the autobid? 17-18 and 18-19 as the grace years and then 7 for 19-20 and they are compliant.
                          I forgot they had two years to get the other two teams (I knew about the automatic bid this year).

Nonetheless, it would still give the SUNYAC an opportunity to sponsor women's hockey. And let's face it, when Canton and Morrisville join the NEWHL ... well, if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Nonetheless, it would still give the SUNYAC an opportunity to sponsor women's hockey. And let's face it, when Canton and Morrisville join the NEWHL ... well, if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
                            100% agree here.

Comment

I forgot they had two years to get the other two teams (I knew about the automatic bid this year).

There are no ducks in the SUNYAC.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                There are no ducks in the SUNYAC.
                                Nor are there Kangaroos...
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X