X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Yeesh... at this rate, we might not even get to a second thread.
    oh, c'mon, you post enough criticisms and other assorted rants to fill an entire thread all by yourself.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
      The game tying goal on Saturday was a bad goal and the winner wasn’t much better. Both were scored on Perry. His play has not been stellar this year and he has let in his fair share of bad goals just as Marshall has
      Considering Marshall was pulled in the 2nd, there really wasn't that much better of an option.

Comment

One of our huge problems seems to be that we seem to always give up a goal or two quickly at the start of the game and spend the rest of the time trying to fight back. In 21 games, we have surrendered first 18 times, and we have a -16 goal differential in the first period (-3 in the rest of regulation if we discount empty netters). Our goalies' first period save percentage is an awful .860. In the second and third periods, we put up a .930 (really good!) and .911 (right about average), respectively.

Obviously this failing is not just on the goalies, but the fact that we're always starting off in the hole prevents us from truly competing in many games.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

The game tying goal on Saturday was a bad goal and the winner wasn’t much better. Both were scored on Perry. His play has not been stellar this year and he has let in his fair share of bad goals just as Marshall has
          I didn't see Saturday night's game, but I would agree that, as far as I could tell from the WRPI broadcast, it did sound like the tying goal was a bad one.

I'm not suggesting that Perry should be anointed the # 1 goalie for the rest of the year. I'm just suggesting that he should start Tuesday night.

Somebody has to start Tuesday's game in goal. If the choice is between two goaltenders who haven't been stellar this year, I still think it makes sense to start the guy that shut out Tuesday's opponent the last time they saw him.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            Our goalies' first period save percentage is an awful .860. In the second and third periods, we put up a .930 (really good!) and .911 (right about average), respectively.
            I dove a little deeper on this to see if the effect was goalie specific, and it is not.
            Code:
                    | 1st| 2nd| 3rd| REG
            ----------------------------
            Marshall|.863|.931|.910|.904
            Perry   |.856|.929|.912|.899
            ----------------------------
             TOTAL  |.860|.930|.911|.902
            I didn't actually do any statistical tests, but I'm going to guess that the differences between Marshall and Perry are not significant. That goes even further to suggest that the team just isn't ready to go at the start of games. We do face waaaaay more shots in the second period, but for whatever reason, our goaltenders are much more adept at turning these shots aside, despite the higher volume (The standard justification for this would be that we're limiting our opponents to low quality shots in the second, but without access to shot charts, it's hard to say).
            RPI Pep Band
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

lugnut,

Considering how few games are involved, I would be very surprised if there is significant difference using any reasonable criteria.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I could care less if Rene Fradet started tomorrow, but the play has to be better. Whoever can do that for a game gets the next start...and so on.
                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                  I could care less if Rene Fradet started tomorrow, but the play has to be better. Whoever can do that for a game gets the next start...and so on.
                  Coach Smith seems to have been trying to do that, namely going with the (relatively) hot hand. He definitely has not been alternating goalies.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    lugnut,

Considering how few games are involved, I would be very surprised if there is significant difference using any reasonable criteria.
                    Yeah, that's why I didn't really bother. It's possible that the 0.007 difference between the two goalies' first period performance is significant, but I'm not even really sure what test I would use.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                      Yeah, that's why I didn't really bother. It's possible that the 0.007 difference between the two goalies' first period performance is significant, but I'm not even really sure what test I would use.
                      ANY band tomorrow nights ?
                      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                        ANY band tomorrow nights ?
                        I don't believe so. Classes aren't back in session yet so most of the band won't be around, and it's much harder to put together an alumni band on a weekday night.

(this should totally be the Autism Awareness Game)
                        RPI Pep Band
                        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

I don't believe so. Classes aren't back in session yet so most of the band won't be around, and it's much harder to put together an alumni band on a weekday night.

(this should totally be the Autism Awareness Game)
                          When's the last time we even did an alumni band? A couple points around the end of the last decade are the only times I can remember.

ETA: Freakout doesn't count.
                          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-09-2018, 04:31 AM.

Comment

What is the story with Kyle St. Denis? He was bought in early to fill the hole when Hackett was kicked off the team. He has never really been given a chance to show what he can do and gave up a year of eligibility, I think, for a small part of a season. Why not give him a shot? They really have little to lose. If they aren't going to do that, I would rotate the goalies the rest of the way unless someone really demonstrates clear superiority in goal. That has not happened so far. How will this work going forward? Perry is a Junior, Marshall a Freshman (or is it First Year?), and St. Denis is a Sophomore. Will one (or more) be dropped for a new prospect? The team clearly can't get better unless the goaltending gets better. Lastly, SA was foremost a goalie coach. Who is filling that role now? That may be part of the problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              When's the last time we even did an alumni band? A couple points around the end of the last decade are the only times I can remember.

ETA: Freakout doesn't count.
                              It's been a while.
                              RPI Pep Band
                              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

One of our huge problems seems to be that we seem to always give up a goal or two quickly at the start of the game and spend the rest of the time trying to fight back. In 21 games, we have surrendered first 18 times, and we have a -16 goal differential in the first period (-3 in the rest of regulation if we discount empty netters). Our goalies' first period save percentage is an awful .860. In the second and third periods, we put up a .930 (really good!) and .911 (right about average), respectively.

Obviously this failing is not just on the goalies, but the fact that we're always starting off in the hole prevents us from truly competing in many games.
                                Normally, I would agree that it isn't just a goalie failing, but the amount of bad goals given up in the first minutes of games is just not defensable (pun intended). They just don't seem to be ready to start the game. Their concentration level is awful and they are letting in goals that should be easily stopped. Once they get into the game, they play to their ability. At this point, I think that it has to be nerves.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X