X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Words we've heard before. I'll believe it when I see it on the ice.

Comment

I thought the difference in last nights game was Marshall let in a couple of soft goals and the PK played poorly. I think they played a more consistent game last night, but very hard to play against a team like UNH. They are well coached and play their positions very well and their goaltender played a good game. Kind of sad the announcer butchered Brendan Van Riemsdyk's name. Not like he's the first one, after all. I have to say I would like to see more production out of Burgess and Wiffen. The smaller, faster forwards seem to be the most productive. But Burgess was advertised as a goal scorer and he has yet to produce as advertised. I have to say I thought the "power" forwards lacked spark last night. Finally I compared the records this year to last at this point in the season. This year 3-11-3. Last year 3-13-1. And next up Maine, 2 with Harvard, Dartmouth, SLU, and Union. Certainly not an easy stretch. Hopefully the break will help them take their game back up to 5th gear, as I think the travel and schedule have dropped them to 4th and clearly they need to be firing on all cylinders to get some W's.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
        I thought the difference in last nights game was Marshall let in a couple of soft goals and the PK played poorly. I think they played a more consistent game last night, but very hard to play against a team like UNH. They are well coached and play their positions very well and their goaltender played a good game. Kind of sad the announcer butchered Brendan Van Riemsdyk's name. Not like he's the first one, after all. I have to say I would like to see more production out of Burgess and Wiffen. The smaller, faster forwards seem to be the most productive. But Burgess was advertised as a goal scorer and he has yet to produce as advertised. I have to say I thought the "power" forwards lacked spark last night. Finally I compared the records this year to last at this point in the season. This year 3-11-3. Last year 3-13-1. And next up Maine, 2 with Harvard, Dartmouth, SLU, and Union. Certainly not an easy stretch. Hopefully the break will help them take their game back up to 5th gear, as I think the travel and schedule have dropped them to 4th and clearly they need to be firing on all cylinders to get some W's.
        Perry should of played Marshall was tired after that debacle sat night 3 games In 6 days too much for freshman in a bad team
        I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
          Perry should of played Marshall was tired after that debacle sat night 3 games In 6 days too much for freshman in a bad team
          We have 3 league games in about the same amount of time next month; 5 in two weekends more specifically. And then in the playoffs, it's potentially 3 games in 3 nights. We're going to have to be ready for it. I'll give you Perry should have started, but for different reasons that were exposed last night.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
            I thought the difference in last nights game was Marshall let in a couple of soft goals and the PK played poorly. .
            3 goals scored on the PK and I would say that 2 were poorly played by the units on the ice and 1 was poor goaltending. Why goalies go down onto their knees to protect a shot is beyond me. To let a goal in short side over your shoulder from virtually the goal line is inexcusable. The shooter was boxed out by the defenders and the only thing the shooter could do was throw the puck at the net. He did and low an behold it goes in the net. You can't pin that on the 4 guys defending on the PK.

If you go back over the past 17 games and look at who has been on the ice with our PK when the goals have been scored you will see that Wiffen and York have been on the ice for over 75% of the goals. And they were again last night. Wiffen was also out on the ice for the 1st PK goal with Jerry. Who to me looked completely lost as to where the puck was. He had his back to the shooter and waved at the puck as it went by him. I can't believe our coach doesn't see what we see and look at the statistics of who is on the ice and make the appropriate changes. The PK lost the game for this team last night along with a second straight game of bad goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
              I’ll give Burgess a pass this year. The kid hadn’t played in over a year. Had 2 maybe even 3 operations this past year. I still don’t know why he wasn’t able to participate in Ottawa’s Player Dev. Camp this past summer but it was because of an injury. Wiffen? Just like the last “20 yr. old scoring wiz” we had out of the OJHL he’s proven he can’t score in a man’s League. After Lali I’ve resolved myself to not be fooled by those guys again (20yr olds).
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                I’ll give Burgess a pass this year. The kid hadn’t played in over a year. Had 2 maybe even 3 operations this past year. I still don’t know why he wasn’t able to participate in Ottawa’s Player Dev. Camp this past summer but it was because of an injury. Wiffen? Just like the last “20 yr. old scoring wiz” we had out of the OJHL he’s proven he can’t score in a man’s League. After Lali I’ve resolved myself to not be fooled by those guys again (20yr olds).
                In Laliberte's case, he was already scoring over 90 points as a 17-year old in the CJHL. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40210
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  In Laliberte's case, he was already scoring over 90 points as a 17-year old in the CJHL. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40210
                  You're right. Lali played in the CJHL not OJHL, which is even lower than the OJHL.
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...nk-ecac-127-2/

RPI’s Process is Getting There

The professionalism and close to the vest comments from Dave Smith last week in Belfast showed me that it was clearly a new era in Troy. Although, the Engineers have struggled to pick up wins, they have much more positive going on this year than last. They are largely in games and if not for a few bad minutes in games, it would have more wins.

Last week RPI could have swept its league slate. On Friday night, the Engineers scored a pair of power-play markers in a 2-1 win over Yale. On Saturday, they had a 4-1 lead with less than nine minutes to go against Brown but a three goal barrage late in the third was an undoing for a game that was trending in the right direction. Brown scored the game winner in overtime and left what was going to be a really successful weekend for RPI in somewhat of shambles.

One of the things I gathered last week in my chats with Smith, you can read my feature on RPI, was that the change in culture is largely been a bigger project than many may have imagined, but usually it is. I personally think the vibes around Rensselaer are much better this year, but these changes are going to take time.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                      3 goals scored on the PK and I would say that 2 were poorly played by the units on the ice and 1 was poor goaltending. Why goalies go down onto their knees to protect a shot is beyond me. To let a goal in short side over your shoulder from virtually the goal line is inexcusable. The shooter was boxed out by the defenders and the only thing the shooter could do was throw the puck at the net. He did and low an behold it goes in the net. You can't pin that on the 4 guys defending on the PK.

If you go back over the past 17 games and look at who has been on the ice with our PK when the goals have been scored you will see that Wiffen and York have been on the ice for over 75% of the goals. And they were again last night. Wiffen was also out on the ice for the 1st PK goal with Jerry. Who to me looked completely lost as to where the puck was. He had his back to the shooter and waved at the puck as it went by him. I can't believe our coach doesn't see what we see and look at the statistics of who is on the ice and make the appropriate changes. The PK lost the game for this team last night along with a second straight game of bad goaltending.
                      Don't they go down to the knees with the pads out in order to guard against the low shots? If you ever see a forward slide for a block on either a shot or to cover the back door pass on an odd man rush, it's the same thing. Sure, there are times when you can read the shot and know he's going top shelf. From the goal line is definitely not good on the goalie, as you have to get up tight against that post; I seem to recall us winning a game or two in that fashion.

I'm sure the coach does see all of these. Who do you put out there in their place, though? Not everyone's skilled on the PK, just like how some aren't really meant for the PP. Plus, even though we're the last step before professional, college, just like juniors, is still a development level. The goal is to further broaden the skills of the players so they can be ready for the pros, which is where your arguments are heard tenfold.

Comment

That dude should not think if that's the result.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          That dude should not think if that's the result.
                          I wonder if the key to getting an honest evaluation of your team from the media is to hire a real åsshole for a coach.
                          Last edited by lugnut92; 12-08-2017, 12:43 PM.
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                            I wonder if the key to getting an honest evaluation of your team from the media is to hire a real åsshole for a coach.
                            I have zero interest in the job.

Comment

[QUOTE=Noresmen;6567810]3 goals scored on the PK and I would say that 2 were poorly played by the units on the ice and 1 was poor goaltending. Why goalies go down onto their knees to protect a shot is beyond me. To let a goal in short side over your shoulder from virtually the goal line is inexcusable. The shooter was boxed out by the defenders and the only thing the shooter could do was throw the puck at the net. He did and low an behold it goes in the net. You can't pin that on the 4 guys defending on the PK.

No dog in the fight but the majority of goals scored are into the bottom 2 feet of the net so they generally teach taking away the lower part of the net as the priority. Secondly, in most instances a goalie in a down position has a better opportunity to make a save on passes from behind the net when the play is in close. Not knowing the exact scenario it sounds more like poor down position against the post than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988 View Post
                                No dog in the fight but the majority of goals scored are into the bottom 2 feet of the net so they generally teach taking away the lower part of the net as the priority. Secondly, in most instances a goalie in a down position has a better opportunity to make a save on passes from behind the net when the play is in close. Not knowing the exact scenario it sounds more like poor down position against the post than anything else.
                                Watching it again, it glanced off his back and into the net. Not tight up against the top of the goal, which would have helped to prevent that. https://youtu.be/86RRpynhnbU?t=1h6m12s

Comment

Working...
                                X