Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Things couldn't have gone much better tonight, both in RIT's game and games around the conference. Can still finish anywhere from 1st to 9th though, so work obviously left to be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
      Things couldn't have gone much better tonight, both in RIT's game and games around the conference. Can still finish anywhere from 1st to 9th though, so work obviously left to be done.
      1st? Not according to the radio guys.
      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
        And then they give Ed a calculator and Jflory, you are redeemed!
        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          Win out and they have 33 points. That automatically locks up 2nd place. No one else in the conference except Canisius can get there (since we'd be beating Mercyhurst in their final two games, they would end at 32). If Canisius drops one point or more next weekend, the Tigers win the conference. I didn't hear the radio guys say anything to the contrary tonight, are you talking about the post-game show? Maybe they haven't noticed the standings haven't been updated on uscho yet?

EDIT: Blast, you're too fast lol. Mercyhurst potting the OT goal hurts us a little bit in that a 1-0-1 weekend won't allow us to pass Mercyhurst anymore (and we would have won a 3 way tie at 32 points if Canisius lost a game next weekend in that case). It's gotta be a sweep and a Canisius tie or loss now.

The good news is 2-1-0 over the last three games is enough to lock up a bye and home ice for round two. Air Force is a team I would not like to see prior to Blue Cross. They really took it to Canisius this weekend. Well over 80 SOG over the two games.
          Last edited by jflory81; 02-17-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I had a brain fart. I spaced on the fact that RIT has a game tomorrow, so there are three left. Hope I remember to show up at the arena!

Comment

But if we lose out then Robert Morris, Army, and AIC could all pass us, and Niagara could tie us. We have to keep the foot on the gas.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                Yeah, I had a brain fart. I spaced on the fact that RIT has a game tomorrow, so there are three left. Hope I remember to show up at the arena!
                If only your last goal call would have held up! 😁
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                  If only your last goal call would have held up! [emoji16]
                  Yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, there goes that. Disappointing - could have been the most important regular season the Pollesini has seen next weekend. Still important with home ice and the bye, obviously, but no title chasing this year.

Here's where we stand if we get X number of points next week (things get nuts with tiebreakers):
                    4 points
                    Possible finish: 2nd - 4th
                    2nd if Canisius gains 0 or 1 points AND Air Force does not sweep Robert Morris.
                    3rd if one of the two above items happens
                    4th if both of the above happens.
                    Possible tiebreaker results: RIT beats Canisius in all tiebreakers at 31 points, Air Force beats RIT, Air Force wins a 3 way RIT/AF/CAN tiebreaker.

3 points
                    Places RIT at 2nd given current standings - possible finish is 2nd through 4th (1st round bye clinched, home ice for 2nd round NOT clinched)
                    - Canisius passes RIT with a point AND wins all tiebreakers with RIT that do not include Robert Morris or Army even if they get swept.
                    - Air Force passes RIT with 3 points or more unless Army sweeps Sacred Heart AND Canisius is not swept.
                    - Holy Cross can not pass RIT and cannot finish ahead of RIT in multi-team tiebreakers.
                    - Robert Morris can not pass RIT and cannot finish ahead of RIT in multi-team tiebreakers

2 points
                    Places RIT at 3rd given current standings. Possible finish is 3rd through 6th.
                    - One of Robert Morris or Air Force will pass them UNLESS Robert Morris captures exactly 3 points OR Air Force-Robert Morris splits and Army takes exactly 3 points against Sacred Heart (RIT wins the AF/Army/RIT tiebreaker here) *If RIT gets their two points via ties, Air Force wins that tiebreaker
                    - Holy Cross passes them with a win
                    - Army will pass them with a sweep of Sacred Heart but cannot finish ahead of RIT in multi-team tiebreakers in the case of taking 3 points

1 point
                    Places RIT at 3rd in current standings (winning tiebreak vs HC). Possible finish is 4th - 7th (One of Robert Morris - Air Force MUST pass RIT)
                    - Both Robert Morris and Air Force will pass RIT if Robert Morris takes 3 points vs Air Force's 1 in their series
                    - Holy Cross can pass RIT with a win or tie vs AIC (Which will prevent AIC from catching RIT)
                    - AIC can pass RIT by winning out (this will force a 3 way tiebreaker with RIT/HC/AIC which will be won by AIC) BUT Holy Cross and AIC cannot both pass RIT.
                    - Army can pass RIT by taking 3 points vs. Sacred Heart

0 points
                    Places RIT at 5th by current standings. Possible finish: 5th - 9th
                    - Robert Morris and Army pass us with 1 win each.
                    - AIC passes us with a win vs HC and a win or tie vs Bentley (a tie vs. HC and a win vs Bentley will not do it - AIC needs HC in the tiebreaker with RIT to get ahead of them via tiebreaker. Obviously two wins gets them ahead of us)
                    - Niagara passes us with two wins (*we may stay ahead of them in certain multi-team tiebreakers including Army or Robert Morris).
                    Last edited by jflory81; 02-18-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Tell me after the Tigers got blanked by Bentley that they would win 4 of their next five I would be ecstatic, but of course this team finds a way to make that one loss so painful that you can't help but feel frustrated.

Wayne Wilson's post game interview points with Ed Trefzger really provides the formula.

1) Sacred Heart played a much better game and we were not ready for it.
                      2) Our defense was too soft
                      3) We made two bad plays that lead to two of there goals, and allowed a soft goal on the game winner.

That all equals, unacceptable at this point of the season.

Honestly I would not be surprised if the Tigers would be eliminated in the first round of the AHA Tournament or go on to win the whole dang thing. You just have no clue what Tiger team you are going to get on any given night. At this point there has been encouragement, criticism, benching, players only meetings and still we have a big game that we let 2 key point go because we are not ready to go. I would say, gentlemen I love you, but we have to get our $#!t together!!

I've been politely critical of the handling of the goaltenders this year, honestly at this point I'm honestly at a lost of what to do. Short really looked shaky to me against Mercyhurst. Comes back with a shutout win and then sounds like he has one that he'd like to have back at a time he needs to be solid. At this point though there very little room to wiggle and it's a tough for any of the guys with how inconsistent the Blueliners have been. Coming into the season I thought the depth of the defensemen was going to be the biggest asset. The truth they've have played great and horrible at times. They did lose the best defensemen among them, but guys have stepped up, but then made just mind boggling mistakes at times. Makes it very hard for any goaltender to settle in, much less three guys trying to establish themselves at the college level.

This league is the tightest it has ever been from top to bottom, that truth has been beaten to death. This team has the talent to win the league, that truth has also been beaten to death. Even with the quality of the league teams the biggest obstacle for this Tiger team is themselves. A lot of wounds are self inflicted, it's amazing where they are in this league with all the mistakes.

Bottom line, if they limit those mistakes they are skating around Blue Cross with another AHA Championship Trophy. If they do not then you have a good chance of seeing a repeat of how last year ended. Either scenario is equally possible in my opinion, so strap in and enjoy the drama....
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Only 10 points separate first from last and although highly unlikely it could be as little as 7 after the season ends. I would say that there is no dominant team and anyone could win the tournament. a nightmare scenario for RIT is to tie for 5th only with Niagara or both Niagara and AIC and lose out on the last bye. All that takes is sweeps by Niagara, Mercyhurst, AFA, and Sacred Heart with AIC taking 3 or less of 4 points. If Lomsnes returns for Niagara they will be more like the team that started the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          Only 10 points separate first from last and although highly unlikely it could be as little as 7 after the season ends. I would say that there is no dominant team and anyone could win the tournament. a nightmare scenario for RIT is to tie for 5th only with Niagara or both Niagara and AIC and lose out on the last bye. All that takes is sweeps by Niagara, Mercyhurst, AFA, and Sacred Heart with AIC taking 3 or less of 4 points. If Lomsnes returns for Niagara they will be more like the team that started the season.
                          Why would this be more of a nightmare scenario than getting swept and having Army and RoMo pass us as well? It's possible we could be on the road for the 1st round, let alone not getting a 1st round bye. If we're talking about a potential tiebreaker with Niagara we're already not in a good situation and probably have already lost the first round bye.
                          Last edited by jflory81; 02-18-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I"m not sure which is worse, rooting for Niagara to win so that RIT can catch Canisius, or rooting for Canisius so that Niagara cannot catch RIT.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I think coach said it best when he implied he is not even worried about Saturday night, right now he is just worried about Friday Night.

Translation, just take it a game at a time, I think looking at all these possibilities is silly, there just to many of them...
                              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule
                              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                                I"m not sure which is worse, rooting for Niagara to win so that RIT can catch Canisius, or rooting for Canisius so that Niagara cannot catch RIT.
                                Considering there's not much difference between 2nd through 4th, I wouldn't even really worry about that series. If you must, root for Canisius to take 1 point. Then if RIT takes care of their own games, they can catch Canisius, but Niagara can't catch them if they crap the bed. I also would rather see Mercyhurst win the conference than Canisius, so that's going to take at least one Niagara win if we have a good weekend vs. the Lakers.

The bottom line, though, is that 3 points or better next weekend will get them a bye and home ice in the 2nd round. Get a split and we need a little bit of help to hold onto a bye and quite a bit of help to hold on to home ice for the 2nd round, and anything worse than that and we'll need a ton of help just to hold onto a bye (obviously 1 point puts us in a better position than 0).

Comment

Working...
                                X