Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    4-1 BigSue, 3-2 MSU. If you ever need to share driving duties to Vegas .

I am sad I've yet to see my first minute of for-real MSU hockey this year! Esp. win #1 at home in the Danton Cole era. BTW, who got hurt? The spectator who texted me could not see who was helped off the ice.
    Khodorenko. Looked bad, holding his left arm, but then he was back literally 90 seconds later on the PP, so they worked some sort of sorcery back in the dressing room.

It was a nice progression thoughout the game. First period looked just like last year's team. Second period we controlled play, but gave up a couple chances and just couldn't find an open shot. Third period was domination. 16-5 shots, and it barely felt like five for BG. If we can just have games that comprise of the effort in the second and third, it'll be an alright year.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Khodorenko. Looked bad, holding his left arm, but then he was back literally 90 seconds later on the PP, so they worked some sort of sorcery back in the dressing room.

It was a nice progression thoughout the game. First period looked just like last year's team. Second period we controlled play, but gave up a couple chances and just couldn't find an open shot. Third period was domination. 16-5 shots, and it barely felt like five for BG. If we can just have games that comprise of the effort in the second and third, it'll be an alright year.
      Hey thanks! and big "whew" for Khoderenko. From the official video that was some sick, slick move by Hirose to get the winning goal.

Comment

4-1 BigSue, 3-2 MSU. If you ever need to share driving duties to Vegas .

I am sad I've yet to see my first minute of for-real MSU hockey this year! Esp. win #1 at home in the Danton Cole era. BTW, who got hurt? The spectator who texted me could not see who was helped off the ice.
        Ha I am thinking I need to schedule a trip out there while I've got the touch.

I am pleased to see(not in person) something that has been sorely lacking for years and that is a dominant 3rd period. Even though it does not truly matter in the grand scheme of things it's also nice that the Cole era's Munn debut was an exciting win. It'd have been unsurprising but still disappointing to open with 2 losses. Hopefully we can keep the enthusiasm train rolling here in the non-con.

Comment

Yes I battled the rain and used up some data to stream football game on my phone during 3rd period but it was worth it to watch the first real game under Cole at Munn. Boy was I impressed. My thoughts:

1. I'm not sure how much Bowling Green was tired after playing Tuesday, Friday, and then making the trip up to EL but MSU dominated the 3rd period Saturday. It felt like MSU should have scored at least 2-3 more goals than it did.

2. The coaches actually coach on the bench. I'm not saying the prior regime never did.. but I'm saying after almost every shift you could see 1 or 2 of the coaches saying something to the players who just came off the ice. At the very least I think it keeps the players accountable and focused on the game.

3. Power play has seemed much better so far this year than it did the entire last year. Seems like a better scheme (I'm no hockey X's and O's expert), but I think we are running an umbrella?

4. Lethomen looked pretty darn good. Made a couple big saves early on to keep the team in it. Then was solid in the 3rd when he didn't get much action (sometimes tough to stay focused).
          Last edited by gomsuman; 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Tonight will be my first chance at seeing MSU play a real game under Cole so I am pretty excited. WMU is probably a decent team so hopefully we will continue to take steps forward. As always, I will be interested to see who dresses tonight and who will be in net. I have a feeling it will be Minney.

Comment

It sounds like MSU kept their poise after an obscenely quick 3rd period goal and two empty power plays, scored, and then poured it on. Woody actually lost his voice a little.

Comment

Entertaining game. Even though the crowd was sparse, it was engaged and much louder than expected. Team looked much better than last year at this time..Hirosi line was especially impressive and could have scored a couple more goals.

Comment

Wasn't able to see the game, but getting a quick start and then being able to bounce back twice is a good sign. Not a good sign is giving up a lead twice, but even having the lead that many times to blow is an improvement over last year. Not sure if Lawson is the place it once was, but getting a win there tonight would be huge.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I had nearly forgotten what it felt like to leave Munn after an exciting victory. The last time I witnessed MSU win a game was Princeton last October and before that, Wisconsin in December 2015. There were a few wins that I missed in those years but that is a stunningly sad statistic. Unthinkable, even near the end of Comley's tenure when morale was at an all time low(until the end of the Anastos era)

I have quite a few thoughts about the game:
                    I really like what I saw. I saw a team with far more offensive flair than I anticipated and can move and possess the puck better than prior years. You can't truly predict what this team would be capable of had Anastos stuck around but his teams did not create scoring chance and pour pressure on like this team has in what few games we've seen. I especially like how strong our third periods have been. Once Scarsella tied it up we poured it on. You could feel the game winner coming. When's the last time any of us could say that?

With that being said, the Powerplay is still a work in progress. We did score one(technically 2 but their goalie was pulled) but most of our time on the PP was spent fetching it deep in our own zone after WMU threw it down ice. Our PK looked fantastic, and even dangerous. We had several scoring opportunities short-handed including a 3on1. Ironically, this actually led to WMU's first goal as it came back the other way with 3 of our players caught deep.

The Hirose-Khodorenko-Lewandowski line is fantastic. I also like the Sanford-Apap-Kamer combination which is something I certainly never would have predicted before the season. In fact, every line has their moments and pulls their weight. That is a great sign.

Hirose did get knocked around out there at times. He may have to put some beef on those bones if he wants to make a career our of Hockey. He's got some moves, though. ****.

Lethemon played fine, not great. Their 3rd and 4th goals i'm sure he'd like to have back but he made some big saves as well.

We were getting murdered in the faceoff circle the first 30 minutes. They were 18-6 WMU at one point and it was a big problem. It ended something like 32-26 MSU. That made a huge difference for us.

Congrats to Scarsella on his first goal. I think that shot really caught Blacker by surprise. He seems to have found a regular spot in the lineup which is interesting since he was most frequently the odd man out last year. He must have had a great summer.

Crowd was alright. I was hoping for more parade/Midnght madness runoff but apparently that doesn't happen.

Lastly, I am excited to report that the proper stick salute might be back. They did not play it in time as the team raised their sticks and began getting off the ice but Shadows then began playing. My hope is that this is the final nail in the coffin of this program's dark ages.

Comment

Well, I didn't expect to complete a sweep at Lawson but I was hoping for a bit of a better performance offensively. Cole did not seem concerned or dissatisfied with the guys afterwards so neither am I.

Maybe LSSU will still be tired after chasing Denver around for 6 periods in the thin air. I haven't seen shots that lopsided since our 2008 squad squared off with Wisconsin and Miami.

That was more of a joke but the more I think of it the more it might play a small factor in our series.
                      Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-23-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                        Well, I didn't expect to complete a sweep at Lawson but I was hoping for a bit of a better performance offensively. Cole did not seem concerned or dissatisfied with the guys afterwards so neither am I.

Maybe LSSU will still be tired after chasing Denver around for 6 periods in the thin air. I haven't seen shots that lopsided since our 2008 squad squared off with Wisconsin and Miami.

That was more of a joke but the more I think of it the more it might play a small factor in our series.
                        Ah yes. Was that the game against MU when MSU was outshot like 40-11 and won the game there? We had some good luck vs. Miami in the later Comley years when the shot clock was lopsided the other way

Comment

New dman for 2018 is Jordan Wishman
                          http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=272786

Comment

Ah yes. Was that the game against MU when MSU was outshot like 40-11 and won the game there? We had some good luck vs. Miami in the later Comley years when the shot clock was lopsided the other way
                            I got curious as to what I was remembering and against Wisconsin we lost 3-1 and were outshot 53-12. There was one game against Miami where we lost 6-1 and were outshot 60-13. Looks like the night before we won 4-1, though!

I feel as though no team knew how to beat the hell out of MSU like Miami in the last decade. They'd still probably pound us despite their struggles in recent years.
                            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-23-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              I got curious as to what I was remembering and against Wisconsin we lost 3-1 and were outshot 53-12. There was one game against Miami where we lost 6-1 and were outshot 60-13. Looks like the night before we won 4-1, though!
                              We won 4-1, Palmissano had the night of his life, and it was his last win before Comley made his big announcement. The 6-1 was the big writing on the wall I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                                New dman for 2018 is Jordan Wishman
                                http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=272786
                                This is a good pick-up. I could almost swear this guy was once a Michigan recruit (or relative of one).

Comment

Working...
                                X