Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    You are always rooting for the teams in your own league to win out of conference games. That is what shapes your SOS. The reason why the CCC teams all had high SOS is because their league cleaned up OOC. Conversely, look at Utica...their SOS was in the tank because their league had a very poor record against other leagues.

So definitely something to keep in mind for the future, you're only as good as your league when it comes to at-large selections because if your league isn't winning games against the other leagues, you're never going to have a prayer in the SOS department.
    +1
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

You are always rooting for the teams in your own league to win out of conference games. That is what shapes your SOS. The reason why the CCC teams all had high SOS is because their league cleaned up OOC. Conversely, look at Utica...their SOS was in the tank because their league had a very poor record against other leagues.

So definitely something to keep in mind for the future, you're only as good as your league when it comes to at-large selections because if your league isn't winning games against the other leagues, you're never going to have a prayer in the SOS department.
      The other thing you want is for your league to schedule good teams in non conference games. It doesn't do you a lot of good if your conference mates schedule the Finlandias of the world with 0.060 winning percentages, because when game is won it helps your OWP, but hurts your OOWP. There are lots of moving parts to consider.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I just remember the night of the banner raising thinking , oh boy here we go lifting that right in front of Salve Regina. They ( I heard) were given the choice of staying in the locker room or watching Norwich hoist the big banner and of course their coach wanted them to get a taste of that. And taste it they did. They proceeded to LITE up Norwich to a big loss. I think any Norwich fan had a bad feeling about the possible season when they couldn't defend the banner that night. I know I had a bad feeling from that game about there season. Also as a Norwich fan, I know many a Middlebury fans and they always are quick to point out how Middlebury only puts up the banners that really count, the CHAMPIONSHIP ones only. Does any one here ever wonder if Norwich over does it with the banners that are non NCAA D3 CHAMPIONSHIP hanging in the rink? I guess in the end anything to help all of D3 hockey is a plus, but it is becoming very clear that other teams really get UP for playing at Norwich. Maybe there should be an award for best place to play? Got to be a top 5 joint doesn't it?
        Last edited by Roy; 03-09-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I just remember the night of the banner raising thinking , oh boy here we go lifting that right in front of Salve Regina. They ( i heard) were given the choice of staying in the locker room or watching Norwich hoist the big banner and of course their coach wanted them to get a taste of that. And taste it they did. They proceeded to LITE up Norwich to a big loss. I think any Norwich fan had a bad feeling about the possible season when they couldn't defend the banner that night. I know I had a bad feeling from that game about there season. Also as a Norwich fan, I know many a Middlebury fans and they always are quick to point out how Middlebury only puts up the banners that really count the CHAMPIONSHIP ones only. Does any one here ever wonder if Norwich over does it with there banners that are non CHAMPIONSHIP?
          Ask every recruit what their favorite part of Kreitzberg Arena is....it’s the banners.

As a visiting fan before I started working here, Kreitzberg was downright intimidating with all those banners hanging from the rafters. It was almost like a mystical place with the aura.

Clearly this year with the home record, it’s lost a little bit of its luster as far as being intimidating. We have Hobart to thank for half of that.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Ask every recruit what their favorite part of Kreitzberg Arena is....it’s the banners.

As a visiting fan before I started working here, Kreitzberg was downright intimidating with all those banners hanging from the rafters. It was almost like a mystical place with the aura.

Clearly this year with the home record, it’s lost a little bit of its luster as far as being intimidating. We have Hobart to thank for half of that.
            Prez NU was attempting to introduce a number of freshmen in the lineup at the beginning of the year so a slow start was excepted. But if they beat UNE I got to believe they would be in the NCAA'a as they since they also beat Nichols.
            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
              Prez NU was attempting to introduce a number of freshmen in the lineup at the beginning of the year so a slow start was excepted. But if they beat UNE I got to believe they would be in the NCAA'a as they since they also beat Nichols.
              If wishes were horses ...
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by hawk View Post
                NU would have needed to beat both UNE and Salve I think to be in.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  I just remember the night of the banner raising thinking , oh boy here we go lifting that right in front of Salve Regina. They ( I heard) were given the choice of staying in the locker room or watching Norwich hoist the big banner and of course their coach wanted them to get a taste of that. And taste it they did. They proceeded to LITE up Norwich to a big loss. I think any Norwich fan had a bad feeling about the possible season when they couldn't defend the banner that night. I know I had a bad feeling from that game about there season. Also as a Norwich fan, I know many a Middlebury fans and they always are quick to point out how Middlebury only puts up the banners that really count, the CHAMPIONSHIP ones only. Does any one here ever wonder if Norwich over does it with the banners that are non NCAA D3 CHAMPIONSHIP hanging in the rink? I guess in the end anything to help all of D3 hockey is a plus, but it is becoming very clear that other teams really get UP for playing at Norwich. Maybe there should be an award for best place to play? Got to be a top 5 joint doesn't it?
                  Don’t get me wrong I love the banter back and forth but can we keep the exaggerations to a minimum? By no means did Salve ‘LITE Norwich up’.... one goal game and Norwich has advantage in shots by 10.

When you lose 10 seniors and a top scoring freshman from the year before has health issues there are going to be some growing pains. Home record was a little weird this year but as Prez said Hobart is to thank for that. They are the one team I think almost benefited from our crowd and arena. They dethaw when they get outta that cooler.

Love the banners and they already found a solution to putting no more other than national championships up in the rafters.
                  Last edited by 802Hockey; 03-10-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                    Don’t get me wrong I love the banter back and forth but can we keep the exaggerations to a minimum? By no means did Salve ‘LITE Norwich up’.... one goal game and Norwich has advantage in shots by 10.

When you lose 10 seniors and a top scoring freshman from the year before has health issues there are going to be some growing pains. Home record was a little weird this year but as Prez said Hobart is to thank for that. They are the one team I think almost benefited from our crowd and arena. They dethaw when they get outta that cooler.

Love the banners and they already found a solution to putting no more other than national championships up in the rafters.
                    I have a solution too. Any year with a “regular season champions” only should come down. Under the current set up, those banners are meaningless.

Comment

Hope to see some of the NU fans that post on this board come and support the women's team as they host the final four for the first time in program history!

25-1-3 record, No. 1 ranking. Some great hockey will be on display at Kreitzberg next weekend. Don't miss out!
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        Hope to see some of the NU fans that post on this board come and support the women's team as they host the final four for the first time in program history!

25-1-3 record, No. 1 ranking. Some great hockey will be on display at Kreitzberg next weekend. Don't miss out!
                        Planning to be there! Even the wife is excited!

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                          I have a solution too. Any year with a “regular season champions” only should come down. Under the current set up, those banners are meaningless.
                          +1 though there have been some years where they didn't win the conference championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament but the regular season record was stellar enough to get an at-large bid.

Comment

Can't be there in person but have the game on my calendar. I just noticed that there is no audio or video icon next to the game in the schedule... just live stats. Can't NSN stream it? Won't WDEV be there?
                            Last edited by nujack; 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nujack View Post
                              Can't be there in person but have the game on my calendar. I just noticed that there is no audio or video icon next to the game in the schedule... just live stats. Can't NSN stream it? Won't WDEV be there?
                              https://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2018/03/16

Comment

Thanks. The NCAA streaming is the worst... especially the announcers. If WDEV is there I'll listen to PuckVoice off my phone/bluetooth speaker to accompany the NCAA video... its a bit tricky to get the audip syncronized with the video but once it is close it is pretty good... did that for last year's men's D3 frozen four.

Comment

Working...
                                X