Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I sure hope we get another shot at Hobart. But for my eyes, they look stronger and quicker to the puck. I hope I am wrong , but if Hobart plays like that every game , we could very well be looking at this seasons Champs. They remind me of Norwich. They never quit, most often first to the puck and very fast plus they are strong. They were beating Norwich D a lot , Friday night. Braden seems to be really really good until scored upon, then can often go down hill from there. Hobart will be tough for Norwich to beat , no matter where they play them , if Hobart plays the same next meeting. But lets hope Norwich "never quit" attitude pulls them to another crown. Go Cadets!!
    Against Hobart the Cadets were snake bite in that first minute and a half of the 2nd period...and they kept NU off balance for the rest of the period. Statically, it became a game decided by one goal...shots on goal were all but even as were the number penalties. A big difference was Hobart's ability to convert two penalties into scores while NU came up empty on in its three tries.

Everyone has acknowledged that this team has been transitioning all season into a mature team. And in past, at this point of the season, fans would be talking about how we are "peaking at just the right time."

It's pretty clear that we're not there yet...but I am also not ready to toss in the towel and wish Hobart best wishes in their quest for the NCAA crown. NU prof is right...UMass took Hobart down twice just as both Babson and Skidmore have split their two games against HC this season. On the flip side, against those same three teams in six games, NU is 5-0-1. And if we are to move on to the NCAA playoffs, I would much rather see a rematch with Hobart than have anyone else do our work for us. In this decade we've seen UMass and Babson deliver great seasons versus NU...now it's Hobart's turn. But nothing has been decided and there is both the time and opportunity for the boys.

Norwich will give a good showing during the playoffs. What's more we already know we have some seasoned youngsters for our future. Go Cadets.
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-13-2018, 12:11 AM.
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Hobart game - NU was simply sloppy. Senior goalie let in 4 of 15 shots an one was a dozy. Great comeback in 3rd period, Hobart makes for a great game
      and thought that game could have gone either way. We had our chances and did not convert on power play. Skidmore goalie is down right scary dude.
      He can steal a game any night.

Comment

Well I hope your right in your prediction for the play offs. I just thought that Hobart controlled most of the game and it just didn't look like the Cadets could keep up with them. Maybe it was just because Braden was sloppy and having a bad game. Is it just me or does he run hot and cold? I thought he played better last year than this year. Once he gets scored on , things seem unsettled with him. I was really wishing that he could be the best goalie the team has had to date. If he can find his game, really soon, they then may have a chance. I still think Hobart is a fun team to watch, hat,s off to them for playing so well against the Cadets. They are like the Eagles/Patriots, just hit em while they are down. By the way can you imagine if the Patriots had one with those two questionable touch downs? Social media would have been on fire. Us Pats fans would have never heard the end of it. But so many people hate the Pats, you never heard much about the touch downs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Well I hope your right in your prediction for the play offs. I just thought that Hobart controlled most of the game and it just didn't look like the Cadets could keep up with them. Maybe it was just because Braden was sloppy and having a bad game. Is it just me or does he run hot and cold? I thought he played better last year than this year. Once he gets scored on , things seem unsettled with him. I was really wishing that he could be the best goalie the team has had to date. If he can find his game, really soon, they then may have a chance. I still think Hobart is a fun team to watch, hat,s off to them for playing so well against the Cadets. They are like the Eagles/Patriots, just hit em while they are down.
          Hobart versus NU is riding a hot hand...no question about that. Braden had a perfect 16-0 season in 2016/17 and while now well behind the curve...he hasn't been helped by an offense that is delivering over one goal less per game against NEHC opponents than they were scoring last year. That combined with NU now giving up over 10 minutes in penalties each outing also has made him a bigger target. BTY...Someone remarked about how hot a hand the Skidmore goalie had last weekend versus NU. The weekend before in our 2-1 win over USM, third string goalie Steve D'uvso **** near shut down NU's offense. Amazing performance.
          Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

😐

Comment

Come on Cadets, put it in the net!
              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

• Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                Come on Cadets, put it in the net!
                This is a very average hockey team right now. Talented enough to win on a given night, but absolutely incapable of dominating anyone. They allow the opponent to dictate the style of play. Not what we’re used to, that’s for sure.

Comment

This is what is wrong with the one-and-done playoff system. Clearly NU is the better team, but one mistake will cost the Cadets the season.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    This is what is wrong with the one-and-done playoff system. Clearly NU is the better team, but one mistake will cost the Cadets the season.
                    I HATE the term “regular season champion”. Either do away with conference tournaments and just have the #1 team get the AQ (my preference) or eliminate the term and just have top seed host the tourney without a “champion” tag. The “regular season champions” banners in Kreitzberg p*ss me off.

Conference tournaments, especially at the D3 level (where they aren’t making big bucks), are stupid. But, if we must play them, the winner is the champ and gets the AQ; there is no other “champion”

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      The scoreboard says we're equal right now... (I know what you're saying...but at the end of the day, win. It's the only way to control your own destiny....)
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                        I HATE the term “regular season champion”. Either do away with conference tournaments and just have the #1 team get the AQ (my preference) or eliminate the term and just have top seed host the tourney without a “champion” tag. The “regular season champions” banners in Kreitzberg p*ss me off.

Conference tournaments, especially at the D3 level (where they aren’t making big bucks), are stupid. But, if we must play them, the winner is the champ and gets the AQ; there is no other “champion”
                        There...you got it !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Completely, 100% agree with this.
                          Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I find it hard to believe Castleton did not generate a shot on goal in any of the overtime sessions. Who tracks shots at NU? Helen Keller?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                              I find it hard to believe Castleton did not generate a shot on goal in any of the overtime sessions. Who tracks shots at NU? Helen Keller?
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                The scoreboard says we're equal right now... (I know what you're saying...but at the end of the day, win. It's the only way to control your own destiny....)
                                I know it is they way it is, but I think teams should have to qualify for the playoffs. Letting a team that finishes last in the regular season participate in the league championship tournament seems wrong to me. I know NU won this time, but I still remember that UMB debacle.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X