Colgate 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2017-2018

No video OR RADIO broadcasts for these two games....nice job Gate !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Tonight's game at Cornell will have video coverage through the Ivy League Digital network. To view it, you will need to purchase a day pass for $9.95.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        And the game at Colgate will be on the PLN, like all home games...
        https://watchstadium.com/live/cornell-at-colgate-4/

Comment

Sorry...I meant no radio for tonight's game, IVY League network's announcers are horrendous.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Great win today on a short hander no less and then had to endure a late game penalty against with Big Red goalie pulled. Really important after last nights tough loss in Lynah. Don't think we'll drop much if at all, Cornell is better than #7 and should move up. Last year we probably would have lost today...getting better and better.

Robert Morris next weekend could be a trap game have to keep hammer down on them...Start 2018 with QPac and Princeton always though and then Harvard/Dartmouth. Harvard will be tough, beat Princeton bad today and we always battle against Princeton. Fingers crossed we'll stay hot and get a chance to prove ourselves in the ECAC tourney and NCAAs for the first time...

Comment

567 in attendance? Not great, but it's a start! Raiders showed some resolve and never stopped fighting. Vandyk not looking as solid in net lately, but the offense is able to stuff it home at the other end of the ice to help her out. She has given up 14 goals in her last 5 games; ranked teams test her capabilities and expose her flaws. Cornell has good defense, crisp passing, creates a good screen and shoots from the point regularly. It works and we should try it more. We seldom have anyone on the back door, which seems like a no-brainer in hockey! That tic-tac-toe play for a goal was an instant classic. Sounds like the two teams were evenly matched, but this was not a convincing win. Not sure how we'd fare against Wisconsin or BC; they seem to be on a plateau by themselves. We were fortunate enough to get by Clarkson on the pp in OT. That was not a convincing win, either, but an important win nonetheless.
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                Raiders showed some resolve and never stopped fighting.
                Split with ( then #7 ) Cornell, leaves #4 Colgate ( #2 PWR, 15-3-0 ) sharing ECAC #1 with #3 Clarkson ( #5 PWR, 14-3-1 ) and #5 Cornell ( #4 PWR, 8-4-1 )

Some good observations on intra-game issues, TchrBill. I'll be happy to address those at some point in another post. I love Monday morning quarterbacking of each game. But, I have another calling that interests me more.. Sheer serendipity pulled this 'Gate '69 student athlete into writing about this WIH PROGRAM TURNAROUND, now halfway into its 3rd year. Similar to elementary school kids collecting baseball cards, I possessed a ridiculous amount of Colgate athletic history that nuanced this turnaround for me. Knowing WIH's history and the the potential of a new arena/new coach as a game changer, my speculation emerged--born of an "aha" moment that what I was witnessing might be unique in Colgate athletic history: AN ACTUAL PROGRAM TURNAROUND WITH LEGS ! ( A little perspective on recent WIH performance may help: I. 2014-15 (7-25-2, ECACH 4-16-2), II. 2015-16 (22-9-1 ECACH 12-5-5), III. 2016-17 (22-11-3 ECACH 13-8-1 So far in 2017-18, 15-3-0, ECACH 6-1-0, three-way tie for ECACH first place.). I'm optimistic that this year's ultimate performance will best last year's. But, I'm most optimistic about this 3 year PROGRAM turnaround turning into a revamped program for the long haul. Athough I'm interested in the intra-game hockey machinations, I'm also committed to letting others see the forest from the trees--the sustained transformation of WIH.

For someone like yourself who may not be enamored with history, suffice it to say, in past year's this Gate WIH team would have folded when called upon to fight to the finish against Cornell, Clarkson and the rest of their ECACH/NCAA ilk. That fight is an empirical fact that you've already observed.

Regardless of what the epitaph for the 2017-18 post-season turns out to be, you should be equipped with a couple of factoids to appreciate what's going on. In the fifty years of following 'gate sports, I've observed that almost all Colgate athletics splashes on the national scene are invariably one-off events. There are already signs that what we're witnessing in WIH may be substantially different. Working backward: (1.) this team is already reloaded with elite WIH recruits for the 2018-9 and 2019-20 seasons. Colgate never touched these elite recruits in the pre-Fargo/'65 Arena years let alone establish a pipeline chock full of them. This pipeline will continue coming on stream regardless of whether 2017-18 provides a seminal event in the post-season. (2.) This is due to a phenomenal recruiting/marketing/coaching job by Fargo, now in his 6th year, to creae a niche. He leveraged the vision of the '65 Arena as the foundation of this niche. He believed that most recruits wouldn't hold him responsible for WIH's historical record. So they were willing to focus on the vision. (3.) Elite recruits bought in...(4.) Then, the performance started kicking in during the 2015-16 season just before the Arena came on line. The talent was young, centered in the Freshman and Sophomore classes, who are now Juniors and Seniors playing together for the third year. (5.) The rest is a combination of history and speculation. The allure of the new Arena, coupled with a young successful coaching team and Colgate's appeal is a unique proposition that should be sustainable now that highly competitive results have kicked in. The program culture has changed irrevocably and the program's prominence should continue to grow.

I suspect you're right that Wisconsin may be on a different plateau than Gate ? Not convinced about BC- they may be more in the Cornell-Clarkson et al-Colgate "split the series club"...and that's ok. ? Last year, the ECAC sent 3 teams to the 8 team NCAA field. Right now, Colgate is #2, Clarkson is # 4 and Cornell is #5 in the PWR. In sum, I don't know if this is the Gate NCAA breakout year--but, it's in the cards that this Program is going to extend this multi-year turnaround beyond 2018. And, trust me, that's a Colgate first. That's the excitement for someone like myself, steeped in Colgate athletic history, who lucked into observing the story unfolding in WIH. Nothing is close in Colgate athletic history.

P.S. I attended the 'Gate 1990 NCAA Hockey Championship game at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.
                You can see for yourself what happened to the Colgate MIH record in the years immediately following. That has been the story for almost all of Colgate's splashes on the nat'l scene: one-off David-Goliath matchups that capture the imagination. But, fizzle out.
                1. MEN: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gocolgatera...MensHockey.pdf
                2. WOMEN: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gocolgatera...n_s_Hockey.pdf

( Sorry I got so carried away; I think this will become more widely appreciated, as WIH makes its way through the post-season. And I won't have to feel obliged to tell this story. )
                Last edited by Raider Archivist; 12-05-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

I appreciate, respect and share your loyalty and passion. Have followed the women's program since club status when my g/f was begged by others to join - and she had never even put on a pair of skates in her life, lol. Comments are not necessarily Monday morning quarterbacking or cynicism. Have always been raised as fair, looking at all sides. Too many people are biased, particularly on this site, picking their teams to win when nothing supports that (which I totally get), and for example when I don't, loyalties are questioned. I am biased, too, but do not let it interfere with personal judgment and appreciate good debate about opposing issues and viewpoints, which should be welcomed and not ridiculed.

For the record, was very skeptical about Fargo, a coach from a D-III school. With a new rink on the horizon, thought Colgate had missed a greater opportunity. So often we attract first-time coaches or others from D-II or D-III schools. That said, I am thrilled with the impact he has made, naturally, but the facilities and Colgate in general sell themselves which obviously helps. The devil's advocate in me says, can we keep this up? Qpac had some consistent, winning ways, but now they are in the middle. The team that I will look to follow closely is Union, a team that finished a predictable 5-28-1 last year yet has already won 4, went to OT in 4, and has finally learned to score goals with a new coach (actually feel the same about Colgate FH and Coach Cornell, MUCH optimism there!). How long will Clarkson remain on top? And what happened to the WCHA that helped make the "EZAC" the power conference?!

Hoping Vandyk can control some rebounds...the replays of this weekend's series left my mouth wide open. We dropped to #4 in the polls with the split and Cornell climbs 2, go figure. Hoping for the W this weekend for sure and some sweet reflection this holiday season.

Game Highlights:
                  https://***********/twitter/statuses/937817150592573442
                  Last edited by TchrBill; 12-04-2017, 08:03 PM.
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS

Comment

# 4 'gate ( 15-3-1, 6-2 tied #4 in ECAC with 8 games ) @ Q'pac ( 11-9-2, 7-5 # 2 ECAC with 12 games ) and Princeton ( 5-9-4, 4-7-1, #7 ECAC with 12 games ) Jan 5 & 6

Ftom here on out, each game is a "must-win" game. Although Q'pac has played two more games than 'gate in the ECAC so far, a 'gate loss here will allow Q to seriously compete for one of the top 4 spots in the ECAC tournament.
                    As we enter the second half of the 2017-18 season, we'll witness more definition about how far this program can go by the end of this 3rd year of the program renaissance. This juncture is important for several reasons. First, imho, this will be the program's best shot at post-season success for awhile. The large class of graduating seniors represent the foundation of the talent upgrade that sparked the change in the team‘s performance renaissance. Yes--the pipeline is full of talent for the next couple of recruiting classes. But, it will be difficult to immediately replicate the synergy that these seniors have achieved with an equally large and talented junior class. We're not deluded that this team has done more than squeaking out victories against some of the teams that are obstacles ( Clarkson. Cornell, ) to its post-season success. But this team's positioning, at this juncture, for the post-season in this 3rd year of the program renaissance is the best that it has been. As we move into the stretch every game is critical. But, the visit to Hammy on Jan 26-7 by Clarkson and St. Lawrence, and the Harvard h&h, Jan 12 and Feb 3, seem critically importan for the post-season..
                    Last edited by Raider Archivist; 01-05-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Tied for ECAC #1, ( #3 PWR ) #4 'gate moves past last weekend's sweep to Harvard/Dartmouth in the coming weekend.

A. O. Jan 8, 2018 ,The Schedule trumps “seat of the pants eyeball tests” as predictors of 2017-18 regular/post-season

Despite agreeing with some of the reservations expressed about this team’s on ice performance, the reservations become background noise now. At this point, I consider observations like this, made during the season, less important, even if the accuracy of the observations persist: a. not being an “elite” team, b. having “unconvincing wins,” c.“struggling, d.” being “overrated in the polls,” e. “struggling vs. any Top PWR team,” etc.
                      Everything is subordinated to finessing the schedule from here for maximizing what are significant accomplishments for 'GATE WIH's year and a culmination of a marvelous 3 year program renaissance. The risk-reward of this path will change week-by-week in the six weeks of regular season play remaining. Knowing what's significant and yet likely-doable for this team is important now. I think my goals are attainable. Let’s call it the "slipping under the radar scenario." My ultimate goal is satisfied by: 1. smartly exceeding the record 22 win seasons of 15-16 and 16-17, 2. making it to the ECAC Final via a win as 2 or 3 seed in the ECAC Tournament bye and semi-final rounds and 3. maintaining a top 4 PWR post season-getting an invite to the 2018 NCAA tournament-w.o an ECAC Championship and regardless of NCAA seed.

1. Clarkson- the odds on favorite. Even dropping a 2nd game to ‘gate may not prevent ECAC championship on their ice ? Don’t have to beat them to get to NCAA.
                      2. Colgate-13 games left; 7 at home over next three weeks. Harvard this weekend and St Lawrence-Clarkson on 1/26-7 are the "biggies"
                      3. St. Lawrence-3 pts out of 1st, might upcoming game @ Colgate determine who gets 2nd or 3rd place ECAC RS position ? How much does it matter ?
                      4. Cornell- dropped two games this past weekend and fell 4 pts behind. Playing the same schedule as ‘gate, can they make it up with the same 12 remaining games as ‘gate ? No wiggle room with Clarkson, St Lawrence and arch rival Harvard ( 2),

5. Harvard: 2 games each left against Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Cornell and Colgate. Need I say more about probability of being a factor ?
                      6. Quinnipiac- Their 16 pt. ECAC 1st place tie this week is virtually meaningless. They only have 8 ECAC games to play while the rest of the league has 12.
                      Last edited by Raider Archivist; 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:28 am #168

Following 3 victories in 5 days, # 4 Gate ( 20-3-1; tied for 1st in ECAC, #2 PWR ) hosts Union ( 6-15-3 ) and RPI ( 7-12-5 ) Jan 19-20

Got to take care of business against Union and RPI this weekend to capitalize on favorable ranking-position in next weekend's showdown !

Meanwhile, various “firsts” for ‘gate WIH are already on the cusp this weekend….., Three 20 win seasons in succession. With 10 games left to play, this 3rd year could turn out out to be a biggie and a wonderful culmination of this 3 year WIH renaissance. This is in addition to whatever "firsts" ‘Gate WIH may achieve via the ECAC and NCAA tournaments and various polls.

A loss this weekend would jeopardize the favorable position ‘gate will otherwise take into the big showdown next weekend between: Clarkson, Colgate ( 1st place ECAC tie ), St Lawrence ( 3 points behind ), and Cornell ( 4 points behind ).

It’s very difficult to not look beyond this weekend to the Jan 26-27 showdown. The Jan 26-27 weekend is almost a mini-tournament for post season seeding among the most likely top 4 for the ECAC tournament: Clarkson, Colgate, St Lawrence & Cornell.

Food for thought: I've watched each of these "unconvincing wins as the Raiders cling on for dear life." Sure, I feel uncomfortable and carry a bit of skepticism in the back of my mind as I view each new game, as 'gate appears to be "blowing it." It's hard not to notice this or take it into account. But, I'll take the "unconvincing wins" I watched on Jan 5-6 against Q'pac and Princeton over the SWEEP of Cornell that weekend by the same teams. The result was that Cornell ( fell back 4 pts from 1st in the ECAC rankings ) almost fell off the map for the post-season. No doubt the "unconvincing wins" may be harbingers of not being able to pull off the wins in furure close games ? Another way of characterizing consistently producing "unconvincing" wins is that they've proven to be "consistent wins," nevertheless.
                        Last edited by Raider Archivist; 01-22-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Archivist View Post
                          Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:28 am #168

Following 3 victories in 5 days, # 4 Gate ( 20-3-1; tied for 1st in ECAC, #2 PWR ) hosts Union ( 6-15-3 ) and RPI ( 7-12-5 ) Jan 19-20

Got to take care of business against Union and RPI this weekend to capitalize on favorable ranking-position in next weekend's showdown !

Meanwhile, various “firsts” for ‘gate WIH are already on the cusp this weekend….., Three 20 win seasons in succession. With 10 games left to play, this 3rd year could turn out out to be a biggie and a wonderful culmination of this 3 year WIH renaissance. This is in addition to whatever "firsts" ‘Gate WIH may achieve via the ECAC and NCAA tournaments and various polls.

A loss this weekend would jeopardize the favorable position ‘gate will otherwise take into the big showdown next weekend between: Clarkson, Colgate ( 1st place ECAC tie ), St Lawrence ( 3 points behind ), and Cornell ( 4 points behind ).

It’s very difficult to not look beyond this weekend to the Jan 26-27 showdown. The Jan 26-27 weekend is almost a mini-tournament for post season seeding among the most likely top 4 for the ECAC tournament: Clarkson, Colgate, St Lawrence & Cornell.

Food for thought: I've watched each of these "unconvincing wins as the Raiders cling on for dear life." Sure, I feel uncomfortable and carry a bit of skepticism in the back of my mind as I view each new game, as 'gate appears to be "blowing it." It's hard not to notice this or take it into account. But, I'll take the "unconvincing wins" I watched on Jan 5-6 against Q'pac and Princeton over the SWEEP of Cornell that weekend by the same teams. The result was that Cornell ( fell back 4 pts from 1st in the ECAC rankings ) almost fell off the map for the post-season. No doubt the "unconvincing wins" may be harbingers of not being able to pull off the wins in furure close games ? Another way of characterizing consistently producing "unconvincing" wins is that they've proven to be "consistent wins," nevertheless.
                          Cornell on Jan 5th and 6th was playing without 2 of their leading scorers who were in Germany with Canada's U22 team in the Nations Cup Tournament so I'm gonna give them a pass on being swept by Quinny and Prinny. So unfortunately they did not set up their schedule to be off that weekend like Clarkson did. Clarkson would have been missing 3 of their key players if they had been playing that weekend.

One thing I have to give credit to Colgate, when in a tight game after 2 periods where they have been either tied or behind by a goal, they have one heck of a record.
                          Here is what they have done: The first score is the score after 2 periods, the last score the final score.

Mercyhurst 3-3 --> 4-3 W GWG 4:59 OT
                          Clarkson 2-3 --> 3-3 G @ 1:22 4-3 W GWG 1:18 OT
                          UNH --> 1-1 --> 2-1 W GWG 17:25
                          Cornell -->1-1 --> 1-2 Loss GWG @ 4:32
                          Cornell --> 3-4 -->5-4 W GWG @15:03
                          Robert Morris 1-2--> 3-2 --> 3-3 TIE G @ 16:14
                          Quinnipiac 0-1 --> 1-1 --> 2-1W GWG @ 20 sec OT
                          Princeton 2-0 --> 2-2 --> 3-2W GWG @16:17
                          Harvard 2-2 --> 3-2 W GWG @4:01
                          Syracuse 1-1 --> 2-1 W

In these 10 games, they are 8-1-1. They are giving the coach grey hairs but they know how to put teams away in the third and IMHO are the team to beat in the ECAC. They have a more favorable schedule than my Knights coming down the stretch. They already have defeated Clarkson @ Cheel, they get Clarkson and SLU in Hamilton and the only other game that I think they might lose is to Harvard on the road. Clarkson still has 2 with Harvard, is at Cornell and Colgate and is at Prinny and Quinny. If Colgate gets the top seed they will be a tough team to beat in Hamilton for the ECAC Title and I think they will have a great chance at making it to the Frozen 4 as they will probably be either the #2 or #3 seed in the tourney meaning they will host a quarter final game.
                          Last edited by vicb; 01-18-2018, 05:47 PM.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            Cornell on Jan 5th and 6th was playing without 2 of their leading scorers who were in Germany with Canada's U22 team in the Nations Cup Tournament so I'm gonna give them a pass on being swept by Quinny and Prinny. So unfortunately they did not set up their schedule to be off that weekend like Clarkson did. Clarkson would have been missing 3 of their key players if they had been playing that weekend.

One thing I have to give credit to Colgate, when in a tight game after 2 periods where they have been either tied or behind by a goal, they have one heck of a record.
                            Here is what they have done: The first score is the score after 2 periods, the last score the final score.

Mercyhurst 3-3 --> 4-3 W GWG 4:59 OT
                            Clarkson 2-3 --> 3-3 G @ 1:22 4-3 W GWG 1:18 OT
                            UNH --> 1-1 --> 2-1 W GWG 17:25
                            Cornell -->1-1 --> 1-2 Loss GWG @ 4:32
                            Cornell --> 3-4 -->5-4 W GWG @15:03
                            Robert Morris 1-2--> 3-2 --> 3-3 TIE G @ 16:14
                            Quinnipiac 0-1 --> 1-1 --> 2-1W GWG @ 20 sec OT
                            Princeton 2-0 --> 2-2 --> 3-2W GWG @16:17
                            Harvard 2-2 --> 3-2 W GWG @4:01
                            Syracuse 1-1 --> 2-1 W

In these 10 games, they are 8-1-1. They are giving the coach grey hairs but they know how to put teams away in the third and IMHO are the team to beat in the ECAC. They have a more favorable schedule than my Knights coming down the stretch. They already have defeated Clarkson @ Cheel, they get Clarkson and SLU in Hamilton and the only other game that I think they might lose is to Harvard on the road. Clarkson still has 2 with Harvard, is at Cornell and Colgate and is at Prinny and Quinny. If Colgate gets the top seed they will be a tough team to beat in Hamilton for the ECAC Title and I think they will have a great chance at making it to the Frozen 4 as they will probably be either the #2 or #3 seed in the tourney meaning they will host a quarter final game.
                            Thanks for summarizing this. They were tied after the second period of the second hurst game too. Entertaining games for their fans to say the least, but I think they’re vulnerable in the post season, compared to Wisconsin who seems to play the most complete games, and compared to BC who has that explosive offense. There has to be at least the teeniest amount of puck luck in that 8-1-1 line, it could run out at a bad time. At the ECAC level, it will be a very fun second half.

Comment

We do not win in convincing fashion but win just the same. Clarkson has a good record vs. top teams SLU (W, W), Cornell (W), Colgate (L, OT) with more offense/gpg, while the Raiders - SLU (L), Clarkson (W), Cornell (W, L) - are more vulnerable with late-surges, many near-misses and low-scoring, one-goal wins. Colgate also takes its fair share of penalties at inopportune times. Wisconsin is in a league of their own and is something the likes Colgate has never seen and rarely plays. Clarkson pulled of some unimaginable upsets last season on their way to the title and anything is possible. The Raiders control their own destiny next weekend. Not sure being undefeated at home matters much when the talent level of the North Country comes to town.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                                We do not win in convincing fashion but win just the same. Clarkson has a good record vs. top teams SLU (W, W), Cornell (W), Colgate (L, OT) with more offense/gpg, while the Raiders - SLU (L), Clarkson (W), Cornell (W, L) - are more vulnerable with late-surges, many near-misses and low-scoring, one-goal wins. Colgate also takes its fair share of penalties at inopportune times. Wisconsin is in a league of their own and is something the likes Colgate has never seen and rarely plays. Clarkson pulled of some unimaginable upsets last season on their way to the title and anything is possible. The Raiders control their own destiny next weekend. Not sure being undefeated at home matters much when the talent level of the North Country comes to town.
                                Absolutely agree anything is possible. Part of what makes it so fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X