Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    and yes The Bank opened in 2007, but Q-Pac was transitioning to a DI program and quickly became an above average program WELL BEFORE 2013...
    We outgrew Atlantic Hockey... not sure I would call that above average. And yes, we excelled almost immediately upon joining the ECAC in '05-'06. But in terms of recruiting, we didn't attract any exceptional talent until we had the Bank to show off. The Jones brothers, Matt Peca, Sam Anas, Devon Toews, Travis St. Denis were all recruited using the Bank as a tool. As for Q's troubles this year, it boils down to bringing in recruits that simply did not pan out and become as good as people thought they would. It happens, even with great facilities.

How many current players and already committed recruits have actually seen the inside of the Class of '65 rink? I agree with shabby on the 3-4 year timetable (based solely on using the rink as a recruiting tool). I realize there are other factors that come into play but facilities have to be a big part. Simply put, your new rink has absolutely no direct bearing on the performance of this year's team based on recruiting unless you have several kids who committed during or after last season and matriculated this year.

I didn't come here to stir the pot or ruffle any feathers. If I have, I apologize.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

always appreciate the input...everyone in the ECAC should strive to achieve what you guys have accomplished in Hamden...and I love where you go to bring in talent: everywhere...

Comment

Does anyone know why Bruce Racine was chosen to be in net this weekend? Did John McGraw say anything? Just wondering. Thanks. Go 'Gate!!

Comment

Point injured tonight, was dressed yesterday

Comment

I guess now we know why Point is not playing.

Hopefully the injury is not too bad.

Comment

I'll take a tie.....good tie

Comment

Nice comeback in the 3rd. Beauty of a goal from #9. Too bad we couldn't get the winner, but a tie ain't bad against the Nights.
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I’m really glad Racine got the tie. He sure as heck earned it with a solid performance.

Nice to see McMann step up. As I pointed out the other day, he was the AJHL league MVP; as one of our few upper echelon recruits he needs to play at that level. He looked great in the third.

Comment

they never quit and that's all you can ask for from any team (and especially playing in Potsdam against the #7-ranked team)...maybe, just maybe some more goals are coming...I don't want to finish 9th...

Comment

Sets up a huge game Friday. Hope Point is back!

Comment

Turned the game off at 3-1, got a very pleasant surprise this am. That point might prove to put us home for the opening round of the playoffs.
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
                          The new rink in and of itself will not make us magically competitive after 3-4 years.
                          The new rink is very significant. I understand this partially because I've followed the women's program turnaround over the past 3 years as closely as any 'Gate alum. Do you remember how moribund WIH was before the turnaround--how about a slot above "Kathy Foto Field Hockey ?" With a 2017-18 regular season ECAC co-championship ( Colgate-Clarkson ) a weekend away from being a fait accompli, I think there's going to be a delayed reaction within the Colgate community about how significant this turnaround and the rink are in Colgate athletic history. There's no doubt in my mind that the 38 mill investment in Class of '65 has facilitated a foundation and will continue to play a role in a quasi-elite WIH program's emgence at 'Gate. ( Disclaimer: this will happen--but let's not be ridiculous and expect a linear path. )

I think it will be interesting to follow how this WIH Cinderella success story may evolve. In the next stage, home-grown perfotmance within this 38 mil arena with all of its hockey toys and tools enters into symbiosis with 'Gate's education story/'Gate's Div I student-athlete niche. A perfect metaphor for telling both the Colgate athletic and the Colgate instituional story to more audiences than just hockey recruits. The perspective this story conveys about Colgate is significantly unique. Enter the next stage of Program development necessary to become a "quasi-elite" WIH Program--an ingrained process to sustain a high level of performance. ( Historically, this hasn't followed "blip performance years" at 'Gate. Think MIH NCAA 1990, Foyle basketball, Baum lax, etc. ) As Colgate's new WIH coach, Fargo brought the experience of a former D-III coach working out of a decaying aircraft hanger looking arena. But he was armed with a vision. He found the recruits who today, as champions, admit they were taking a chance when they bought in. But, Fargo was able to lead and teach them. And they all started to execute the vision together--making it up on the fly-- even as the building was still being crafted around them. Keep your eye on the next part of the story: how the conjoining of resources mentioned above helps move the program to this next level. The quote above is correct--it's not "magic." Nevertheless a note to the men's program community seems appropriate--there wasn't an auto-pilot "how to" manual that came along with the keys to the new arena.
                          Last edited by Raider Archivist; 02-11-2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Archivist View Post
                            The new rink is very significant. I understand this partially because I've followed the women's program turnaround over the past 3 years as closely as any 'Gate alum. Do you remember how moribund WIH was before the turnaround--how about a slot above "Kathy Foto Field Hockey ?" With a 2017-18 regular season ECAC co-championship ( Colgate-Clarkson ) a weekend away from being a fait accompli, I think there's going to be a delayed reaction within the Colgate community about how significant this turnaround and the rink are in Colgate athletic history. There's no doubt in my mind that the 38 mill investment in Class of '65 has facilitated a foundation and will continue to play a role in a quasi-elite WIH program's emgence at 'Gate. ( Disclaimer: this will happen--but let's not be ridiculous and expect a linear path. )

I think it will be interesting to follow how this WIH Cinderella success story may evolve. In the next stage, home-grown perfotmance within this 38 mil arena with all of its hockey toys and tools enters into symbiosis with 'Gate's education story/'Gate's Div I student-athlete niche. A perfect metaphor for telling both the Colgate athletic and the Colgate instituional story to more audiences than just hockey recruits. The perspective this story conveys about Colgate is significantly unique. Enter the next stage of Program development necessary to become a "quasi-elite" WIH Program--an ingrained process to sustain a high level of performance. ( Historically, this hasn't followed "blip performance years" at 'Gate. Think MIH NCAA 1990, Foyle basketball, Baum lax, etc. ) As Colgate's new WIH coach, Fargo brought the experience of a former D-III coach working out of a decaying aircraft hanger looking arena. But he was armed with a vision. He found the recruits who today, as champions, admit they were taking a chance when they bought in. But, Fargo was able to lead and teach them. And they all started to execute the vision together--making it up on the fly-- even as the building was still being crafted around them. Keep your eye on the next part of the story: how the conjoining of resources mentioned above helps move the program to this next level. The quote above is correct--it's not "magic." Nevertheless a note to the men's program community seems appropriate--there wasn't an auto-pilot "how to" manual that came along with the keys to the new arena.
                            This is all very well and good. But you still have to go out and get the players - "recruiting" it's called. Until the men's side does that we are not going to move forward. Greg Fargo had a vision and the chutzpa to go out and make the WIH program a huge success in a short period of time. While we have made some small baby steps with the men's program - IMHO - we still haven't cracked the big-time recruit-wise. Take a look at what's happened to Clarkson, a doormat that has turned itself around in one or two years, with a new coach. Conversely QU has gone from the penthouse to the doghouse very quickly. It's all about getting the players and beating the bushes before we can be a perennial contender. But you know all that....

Comment

Off Topic: Olympics - Slovenia beats USA, 3-2 in OT. Gold Medal is looking mighty shaky....

Comment

The way they lost was terrible too. Ahead 2-0 in third. A heartbreaker !!
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X