Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Right Shabby. I can't answer your recruiting question. But according to Heisenberg we have four forwards coming in next year and two goalies.

Mitch Benson, G, looks to be of good size - 6'2", 180 - if Point leaves. Not sure of his numbers. Of the forwards Arnaud Vachon at 6'2", 195 looks to be the most sizable. Jeff Stewart at 6'3", 165 looks to be a big, intimidating type but needs to put on some pounds.

Our recruit list looks pathetic on Heisenberg. Cornell, Harvard, QU and Clarkson each have a boatload of guys listed and some coming as far away as 2020. I don't see this reflected in our postings. One has to wonder if we are just not giving away secrets or if we are way behind in signing people?
    So, we have 5 seniors leaving and have 6 incoming players. Sounds right to me. We can't exceed the total number of players on the roster, so I guess I don't know why the concern? (Sorry to be so dense)

Comment

Originally posted by CU13 View Post
      So, we have 5 seniors leaving and have 6 incoming players. Sounds right to me. We can't exceed the total number of players on the roster, so I guess I don't know why the concern? (Sorry to be so dense)
      Babs...You're missing the point, other teams have 10-12 even 15 recruits. How do they do it, you suit up twenty players per game maximum, I don't think there's any cap on players on your team, some teams might have thirty or more players practicing. They might be losing five players this year but have twelve recruits. If you're losing five players from this years team you better have more than five recruits coming in, some of them will not be very good. Why don't we have more than 3-4 skaters coming in next year ?
      Last edited by sshablak; 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I understand Racine is a Senior but we have to play our best players, we arent in the bottom half, we are fighting for a bye, just throwing points down the drain
        Last edited by red133883; 02-09-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

It doesn’t matter; we can’t score.

Result was pathetic.

But altogether unsurprising.

Comment

Periods two and three tonight were perhaps the two worst periods of Colgate hockey I have seen in a decade (and I've got, sadly, a lot of bad hockey to choose from)...they are also a total indictment of our very mediocre program...Coach Morris knows how to play his alma mater - press the play constantly since we haven't the speed nor the skill to effectively counterattack...can't fault Racine on at least the first three goals BTW...God would I sell my soul for a couple of Mike Marnells...gee, I thought the new arena was going to usher in a new era? I'm still waiting...and the hockey we play (boring as hell) is a function of having no alternative...collectively our forwards would rank near the bottom of Atlantic Hockey and, as I said before, it looks like we've got the same genre of player coming in next year...again I hope I'm dead wrong - and we somehow manage to compete with Clarkson tomorrow night - but I've been whining about this problem for ten years and with the exception of the talented Class of 2016 we have made NO progress in upgrading the talent pool in Hamilton. Thank God I'm going out tomorrow night so I don't have to abuse myself watching the inevitable...

Comment

This is about the point in the season when I make my annual Tim Taylor comparison. And talk about how we have had three winning seasons in the last eleven. It’s looking an awful lot like it’s going to be three winning seasons in the last twelve.

Those are the ugly facts.

Let’s be honest; nothing will improve with the status quo. We’ve seen this for more than a decade now.

Comment

Spot On Marmot...I call it "Tim Taylor Disease" and the parallels are scary...funny thing you mentioned this because last night i was able to explain "Tim Taylor Disease" to a very close Yale friend of mine...if that's the case more suffering is ahead...looks like I'll now look forward to the NFL Draft and my beloved Cleveland Browns...

Comment

Well, on the bright side, when Yale went from Taylor to Allain their whole program changed. It took a few years, but it did.

Who is our Allain?

Comment

Knowing Colgate he probably hasn't been born yet...

Comment

Or he’s already coaching and we won’t hire him.

Comment

well, maybe you're right...and since bitterness always brings out my creative side i should think about this issue TONIGHT

Comment

Dan Wildfong has had a very successful coaching career in the NAHL. His club won their league last year and has tons of players going D I.

Comment

actually knew this and I always like the way he played...tough hombre who competed way above his height and weight...actually quite a bit like Fogarty...seriously, this issue is quite sad (or at least is becoming that way)...Tim Taylor's leaving was a very, very tough decision and I know it affected him quite a bit...but something has to change and reasonably fast...

Comment

Jesse Winchester is having a very successful rookie season in Brockville.

Plus, he brings the gravitas of having made the NHL from Colgate.

And let’s not forget that he was instrumental in convincing the Spinks to come to Hamilton.
                              Last edited by Marmot; 02-09-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

It certainly is not easy mulling a change with someone like Coach Vaughan who has been synonymous with Colgate hockey for a quarter century.

But if change did happen, maybe it would work for everyone if it was someone that learned from Don. He certainly seems to have coached many who have gone on to become quality coaches.
                                Last edited by Marmot; 02-09-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X