Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

Excited about Chris Wagner coming to the Bruins, but REALLY BUMMED about Colton leaving - essentially a 1-and-done for him since he only played about 10 games his freshmen season.

This means we lost THREE goalies from last season’s roster and will have a HUGE question mark there going forward. I thought this was the season we’d get back to Lake Placid - now it feels like a longshot
    Colgate '09

Comment

One of the two frosh coming in is 6-2 and had good numbers, the other is very small, think 5-8.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Being a B's fan I like that Wagner is coming, the only problem is they're deep in young forwards already.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Hopefully the goalies coming in are good but I think we just went from contender to pretender without playing a single game....ouch
          Last edited by red133883; 07-02-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Tough Loss
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              Being a B's fan I like that Wagner is coming
              I remember watching him in Atlantic City back in 2011 against Dartmouth and being very impressed by the way he played.

the only problem is they're deep in young forwards already.
              They are, but he's a seasoned vet compared to all the young talent they have.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Also a reliable face off guy and physical presence in the last few years...Somebody that can be relied upon to control puck and score from time to time. Still fast and fun to watch...

Comment

• Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                  Hopefully the goalies coming in are good but I think we just went from contender to pretender without playing a single game....ouch
                  I’m more worried about offense. As great as Point played last year we still finished 6th because no one could put the puck in the net.

Comment

Losing Point is a huge loss. He single handedly carried Vaughan's team last season. IMO he should have stayed one more year to season and dominate the college level, let alone win a championship. Maybe Vaughan will have his team playing a different style next season?

Comment

Dallas is now more than stacked at the goalie position...one wonders if we had a little more overall team talent...would he have stayed? The young man from the AJHL has more than good #s, but scoring 2 to 2.25 goals/game this year will not get it done...good question regarding "style" of team going forward...Magoo, as usual, hits the nail on the head...and overall recruiting since the advent of the new arena is better, but, at this point, only marginally so...

Comment

Bummer news at just about the time I start to think about the upcoming season. I doubt that the potential competitiveness of next years team had much of anything to do with the decision. These guys get signing bonuses of just north of $92,000 with a minor league salary at $70,000 - game check for any call up is in the $10,000 range. That's a heck of a head start on life to risk injury (or lackluster play taking you off the board) for a potential college championship. The situation in Dallas looks pretty ideal too. Bishop and Khudobin are in their early thirties with Khudobin on a 2 year deal and Bishop signed for 5. Can't think of a college goalie who made the jump straight to the NHL in the modern age - two to six in the minors to develop seems to be what the current NHL starters from the college ranks have put in. That would mean, best case potential, that as Khudobin's contract is coming to a close, Colton is pushing to move up. A couple of years as a back-up to Bishop to develop and acclimate before taking over the reigns as the #1. Lots of ifs in that scenario, but Dallas is only set for goaltending in the short term.

Hopefully the young guys are ready at goalie and our growing roster of good/not great forwards can develop a score by committee mentality. Don't suspect we'll set the world on fire early but hoping for a strong finish isn't entirely unreasonable

Comment

Just tuned in.....bummer.
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I don't think it has to do with overall team talent, especially considering we see bolts for the pros all the time, even with teams having relatively more overall talent than what TGC was insinuating. The carrots are just getting fatter and juicier these days. However, if it worked for Kinkaid from Union (he also left sophomore year), it could work out for Point, especially considering how well he performed even outside the collegiate scene. For some reason, I thought he was a freshman, in which case I would have thought he was making a huge mistake. Something tells me, though, you'll be hearing Point's name in the NHL within the next few years. One thing we always have to remember, despite our love for our respective teams, is that we are still an effective juniors league, and most are aspiring to make that next step to the professional level. Always be proud of his accomplishments and his roots.

Comment

I think Point saw an opportunity and grabbed it; I certainly can’t fault him for that. I think it has to do far more with him going for the brass ring than him thinking ‘Gate is subpar. From his perspective, the biggest competition in the Dallas organization is a guy the same age as him taken in the 1st Round. Obviously, at that stage the Stars regarded Oettinger as the superior talent. With Point’s epic season last year, he has been given a chance to flip the depth chart. By beating his competition into the system he is giving himself a year’s head start on acclimating to the pro game. If all goes well, he can cement himself as the #1 goaltending prospect for the Stars going forward. In fact, if he really makes it clear he’s #1, maybe Oettinger stays at BU all four years so he can become a free agent to sign somewhere else where HE has a better chance. I completely get his point of view.
                              Last edited by Marmot; 07-11-2018, 07:42 PM.

Comment

That said, there is no way to frame this as anything other than an unmitigated disaster for the prospects of the ‘18-‘19 ‘Gate squad. As much as I think the team improved last year (particularly in terms of markedly better defensive responsibility), Point was by miles our best player. Unless one of these frosh is a revelation, we’re screwed.
                                Last edited by Marmot; 07-11-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X