Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    wouldn't be surprised to see Pagliero go to River Hawks...I think he's responsible for recruiting Colton Point and, why not, moving gives him a better chance to be on a top tier program (our program? mediocre at best)...BTW, typically, no updates on 2018-19 roster as well...is Vachon coming? is Gallant coming? Apparently, those in charge believe that the program's supporters (fiscal and otherwise) are a bunch of rubes...I keep giving every year, so I guess they're right...
    ....don’t mean to pile on Mike McMahon

@MikeMcMahonCHN
    6h6 hours ago
    More
    Colgate has posted a men’s hockey assistant coach opening. Lending more evidence to the belief that Juliano Pagliero will be the hire at UMass Lowell — https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...reios&dupclk=0 …
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
      This offseason is a joke.
      Is this the Mark Gallant that Heisenberg says is coming to Colgate......or a different Mark Gallant??
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
        Is this the Mark Gallant that Heisenberg says is coming to Colgate......or a different Mark Gallant??
        .......BTW, CH no longer has him committed to Colgate.
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Things are getting out of hand, third year of the new rink and it seems like no improvement in recruiting, now the head recruiter is leaving.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

bad, really bad...I think we can assume that BOTH Gallant and Marino left because of Pagliero's impending departure...doesn't say much about the involvement of the head coach in continuing to sell Colgate...what the hell did we think? "If we build it, they will come..." Should've been "If we build it WE have an obligation to work harder to capitalize on an opportunity." "Marmot" is dead right...an awful off season and, frankly, a program that appears to be going no where. Our new AD has a tough issue here. There is scant communication from the program to those who have invested time and $$$ in men's hockey. Although you can overdraw comparisons, what is Greg Fargo doing right (another very good class coming in this year) that DV is not...decommits happen quite regularly, but Colgate has, until recently, been somewhat unscathed by the practice. S*** is hitting the fan from all directions...

Comment

bad, really bad...I think we can assume that BOTH Gallant and Marino left because of Pagliero's impending departure...doesn't say much about the involvement of the head coach in continuing to sell Colgate...what the hell did we think? "If we build it, they will come..." Should've been "If we build it WE have an obligation to work harder to capitalize on an opportunity." "Marmot" is dead right...an awful off season and, frankly, a program that appears to be going no where. Our new AD has a tough issue here. There is scant communication from the program to those who have invested time and $$$ in men's hockey. Although you can overdraw comparisons, what is Greg Fargo doing right (another very good class coming in this year) that DV is not...decommits happen quite regularly, but Colgate has, until recently, been somewhat unscathed by the practice. S*** is hitting the fan from all directions...
              I can 100% guarantee that your first assumptive statement is entirely incorrect. I won't go into detail right now since I'm at work but these things have zero to do with each other. I understand your frustration however throwing around wild statements and trashing the program that we all love isn't going to benefit anyone.

Comment

with all due respect, although I admit to being critical, I wouldn't call my comments "trashing the program"...I, as well, won't get into specifics, but the program remains pretty clueless about marketing itself, especially with the new rink, and providing Silver Puck Members of 40 years with a cursory amount of updated info (a la Cornell and St. Lawrence)...yes, I love our hockey program but I think the weight of the evidence over the past decade would indicate that we continue to under achieve on the recruiting front (save the Class of 2016)...my statements are hardly "wild"; yes they are borne of frustration and some impatience, but a ten-year 45% winning percentage (even with the Class of 2016) is not getting it done...

Comment

with all due respect, although I admit to being critical, I wouldn't call my comments "trashing the program"...I, as well, won't get into specifics, but the program remains pretty clueless about marketing itself, especially with the new rink, and providing Silver Puck Members of 40 years with a cursory amount of updated info (a la Cornell and St. Lawrence)...yes, I love our hockey program but I think the weight of the evidence over the past decade would indicate that we continue to under achieve on the recruiting front (save the Class of 2016)...my statements are hardly "wild"; yes they are borne of frustration and some impatience, but a ten-year 45% winning percentage (even with the Class of 2016) is not getting it done...
                  Meh, constructive criticism is hardly something that is viable these days, unfortunately.

When I'm thumbing through syracuse.com, I don't think I've ever seen mention about the Colgate hockey program. Sure, the professional and SU programs will almost always take a higher lien, and I don't know if the college is trying to attract the Utica/Rome market more than it is the Syracuse one (both are within the 50 mile community radius, and even then I don't see too many billboards advertising the Raiders when driving through), but with a relatively small rink and even smaller student body, you really have to bank on community involvement to be able to fill the seats. Sure, winning should supposedly bring more people in, but even when you were in first round bye territory, there wasn't much in terms of atmosphere. What are the advertising campaigns really like, and what more could be done? It's not like it's that tough of a trip to the arena, even in a snowstorm as we all found out last year.

Comment

Greencoat has always been rough on the program, but being the same age I am also feeling the frustration. Flaggy, you must be frustrated considering the powerhouses you once had in Troy. I don't read your sites much, how do you deal with it ?? It's been a long time since you've had a good team, just asking.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Greencoat has always been rough on the program, but being the same age I am also feeling the frustration. Flaggy, you must be frustrated considering the powerhouses you once had in Troy. I don't read your sites much, how do you deal with it ?? It's been a long time since you've had a good team, just asking.
                      Our problems over there right now are a bit more with the administration than it is with the hockey program itself. I wasn't following the program until I started there so I missed the powerhouse days and therefore I can't give a good comparison. That being said, I see, in my eyes, a healthy attendance there when compared to other schools in the ECAC, and it's really because the community is involved. The team is consistently covered in the local paper, you see stories on the local TV news, the players are doing community service in the local schools to get the youth excited about the games, and the person in charge of PR has been doing a great campaign to get the word to those that aren't necessarily as deeply involved with college hockey as we are. Sure, it's a little easier to be able to do this when you're in a city rather than a village, which is probably why Schenectady, Ithaca, and to an extent New Haven, are supporting their teams in droves, but even the former of those examples didn't have good attendance until recently. Heck, even a smaller village like Potsdam has some decent support, so that could be a better model. Sure, winning can help a bit with that, but even in the down years, you have a great advertising campaign and support from sports staff that gets the community involved.

Comment

A fair point Shabby and, perhaps at times, a little too rough...please note, however, that I have always tried to make a distinction between DV as on ice coach (where I think he's done a solid job) and DV as someone responsible for recruiting outcomes. Our Silver Puck program needs a shot of adrenaline, starting with some simple rules about communication with its long-time members. E.g., one year I gave a very large (for me anyway) gift to Silver Puck and received a robo-signed thank you note from Jerry. Now personally I don't care; I will continue to support men's hockey until I'm six feet under. But this type of "thank you" is unacceptable. DV has always been accommodating and the kids in the program are quality individuals. Way back when, when I first joined the thread (kudos to Shabby and ColSkate 65) I was concerned about the loss of Stan Moore and Andrew Dickson as recruiters, followed by our decision not to aggressively pursue USHL kids. And the loss of Brad Dexter to Princeton has also hurt IMO. I desperately want us to improve our recruiting quality, but, as yet, I see no evidence that the new rink has made any tangible impact. Men's hockey is one of the three men's sports that Colgate focuses on regarding consistent success. I know it's not easy. And finally, I fault no one for Point leaving early. It happens and I wish the young man all the success in the world. It's good for him and good for Colgate. But I am frustrated and, yes, impatient...

Comment

Constructive criticism is fine. There are certain things we'd all like to see improvements with and that's a good discussion. Regardless of the program, every school has things they can improve upon, both on and off the ice. My issue more so was with throwing around statements without knowing facts in regards to why people were doing certain things.

Comment

OK...a quantitative analysis (not perfect, but certainly a good guide) of our competitiveness over the last 12 years...the KRACH system is very, very similar to both the RPI and Pairwise systems...over time assume 60 DI programs, meaning that a team ranked #30 is the bottom of the top half...we'll start with the 2006-07 season (admittedly after an impressive run by Colgate prior to the 06-07 year)...in up trending chronological order our KRACH rankings are as follows: 37, 36, 39, 38, 47, 34, 36, 12, 17, 40, 46, 39...frankly, since DV has taken many teams into the Final Four of the ECAC playoffs one can reasonably argue that his teams have, in fact, overachieved...the problem remains in the consistency of talent coming to Hamilton (again, excepting the talented Class of '16 group)...

Comment

Consider it a positive you won't get Gallant. His dad is the guy who owns that silly NCDC league and meddled at Merrimack to get Dennehy fired (which I'm actually not mad about, but that's for different reasons). My buddy helps out with a local 18U team (not the Islanders but they play them all the time, same league) and he was told that Colgate told Gallant he needed to get out of that crap league and play USHL or something and that the dad said no, wanted him to stay in the NCDC "because his league is a top league!" and that is where the commitment fell apart. Dartmouth will learn. Shady character and not one you want to be involved with. Too bad for the kid because everyone says the kid is great, but the dad is a total boob.
                              Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Working...
                                X