2017-2018 D1 Women's Hockey Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-2018 D1 Women's Hockey Scores

Harvard again shows they can skate with Cornell. This time with an EAG for the 2-2 tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      1-0 final.

I know OSU fans think she's the greatest, but I've never been all that impressed with Sauve; she gives up tons of rebounds. Today she did a much better than usual job of controlling her rebounds. What there were (including one just laying there on the ice with about ten seconds to play) the Badgers couldn't knock home.

The lone goal was a sort-of slow motion breakaway, more-or-less off the 2nd period opening faceoff. The puck pin-balled around some, squirted loose to OSU, the lone Badger defender tripped as she tried to start backing up, and it was one-on-one. Blocker side, upper 90. (best I could tell from the video, anyway.)

Oh, well.
      OSU fans are not that impressed with you. Hurts to lose I guess.

Comment

UVM 5- BU 1. Picard with her second hatty in a row.
        https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
        https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
        NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
        Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          OSU fans are not that impressed with you.
          Why would they be?

I looked it up. (If I got it all correct) In eight games against UW before today, she's given up 30 goals on 303 shots. 0-7-1 won-loss record. I didn't bother to try a 'goal against' average, because she was pulled twice (and 'empty-net' and 'overtime' time, etc), so it didn't seem worth the trouble. Games of five, and six, and seven goals given up.

"Hurts to lose I guess."

Actually, I think that may have been part of the problem today: no, it really doesn't. Wisconsin is going to win the WCHA regular season championship. Unless they drop a couple more, they are going to be the #1 seed in the NCAAs. The loss today just really doesn't mean all that much. I'm afraid that might have been part of the lack of intensity the Badgers showed today. A loss might actually do them some good.
          Last edited by robertearle; 02-02-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            Why would they be?

I looked it up. (If I got it all correct) In eight games against UW before today, she's given up 30 goals on 303 shots. 0-7-1 won-loss record. I didn't bother to try a 'goal against' average, because she was pulled twice (and 'empty-net' and 'overtime' time, etc), so it didn't seem worth the trouble. Games of five, and six, and seven goals given up.

"Hurts to lose I guess."

Actually, I think that may have been part of the problem today: no, it really doesn't. Wisconsin is going to win the WCHA regular season championship. Unless they drop a couple more, they are going to be the #1 seed in the NCAAs. The loss today just really doesn't mean all that much. I'm afraid that might have been part of the lack of intensity the Badgers showed today. A loss might actually do them some good.
            I am not a Buckeye fan but also not a fan of people who take shots at players. But......if it makes you feel good and mighty, have at it buddy! People like you are the reason we cheer on teams like Clarkson when they play you in the Championship game!

Comment

To the Buckeye faithful, congratulations! You have an exciting team and hats off to you for knocking off the #1 Badgers. It has been a great season for your team. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                ...also not a fan of people who take shots at players.
                Geez! I didn't say she cheats on her taxes, or lies to her mother, or whatever. I said she gives up lots of rebounds. Because in the games I ''ve seen her play, she has given up a ton of rebounds. If that is "taking a shot", then I guess I've seen a bunch of Gopher fans taking a bunch of shots at a number of Gopher defense players this year.

She played very well today, and logged a win against a team she had yet to beat. Good for her.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  I know OSU fans think she's the greatest, but I've never been all that impressed with Sauve; she gives up tons of rebounds.
                  I agree with you. She was bad the first game in Madison this year.

Too bad my prediction of a UW loss was correct. Hopefully it does end up splitsville.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    Now seems as good a time as any to inform you all that I'll be doing color commentary for both semifinal games of the Women's Beanpot on ESPN3 this Tuesday and I'm wicked excited about it.
                    That is cool! Best of luck to you

Comment

1-0 final.

I know OSU fans think she's the greatest, but I've never been all that impressed with Sauve; she gives up tons of rebounds. Today she did a much better than usual job of controlling her rebounds. What there were (including one just laying there on the ice with about ten seconds to play) the Badgers couldn't knock home.

The lone goal was a sort-of slow motion breakaway, more-or-less off the 2nd period opening faceoff. The puck pin-balled around some, squirted loose to OSU, the lone Badger defender tripped as she tried to start backing up, and it was one-on-one. Blocker side, upper 90. (best I could tell from the video, anyway.)

Oh, well.
                      Some Wisconsin fans said the same thing about Leveille and they had a point about the rebounds, Although Leveille, head to head, outperformed Dustbin (In fairness, Dustbin usually had the flu ).

We will see how it plays out for Sauve as the postseason begins. She has the capability of carrying her team if they need that.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        Some Wisconsin fans said the same thing about Leveille and they had a point about the rebounds, Although Leveille, head to head, outperformed Dustbin (In fairness, Dustbin usually had the flu ).

We will see how it plays out for Sauve as the postseason begins. She has the capability of carrying her team if they need that.
                        As I recall, there were others that doubted Leveille as well. And sure, rebounds might be a legit thing to comment on, but the main thing is keeping the puck out of the net and winning games. Considering her Gopher career as a whole, to me Leveille easily gets an 'A'.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          As I recall, there were others that doubted Leveille as well. And sure, rebounds might be a legit thing to comment on, but the main thing is keeping the puck out of the net and winning games. Considering her Gopher career as a whole, to me Leveille easily gets an 'A'.
                          Indeed.

I get the frustration for Wisconsin fans. It's the same feeling Gopher fans had to go through watching Bemidji be a thorn in the side of some powerhouse Gopher teams.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Now seems as good a time as any to inform you all that I'll be doing color commentary for both semifinal games of the Women's Beanpot on ESPN3 this Tuesday and I'm wicked excited about it.
                            Have fun!
                            I remember back in 2006 I was watching the men's semi-final on ESPN, and Gary Thorne was doing the play-by-play, Wisconsin vs Maine. Later on in the game, into the third period, Thorne was doing an interview with Mark Johnson, because a couple weeks before the UW women had won their first championship. And during that interview Johnson made some sort of reference to Thorne having graduated from Maine. Up until that point, I had not had the *slightest* inclining that the guy doing the play-by-play had attended one of the schools playing. Not a hint.

Aim for that. I don't know how; I would be a miserable failure at it. But aim for that. Good luck.
                            My suggestion would be to listen to a recording of A.J. Mleczko doing color, and then try not to emulate her in any way. E.g., avoid trying to express five different thoughts in the same sentence and not finishing any of them. So if that means you usually talk fast when you're either excited or speaking in front of a group, force yourself to slow down.

Given your audience is the fan base of all four teams, as robertearle says, the best thing to do is to strive for neutrality. If you had the opportunity to know the players for BU, you'd like them. Treat them as future friends that you haven't met yet.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I don't think Sauve has been particularly healthy this season. She wasn't playing great when the Buckeyes played in Minneapolis. We have seen her play very well, certainly better than anything I've ever seen from the current Wisconsin goaltender, who admittedly still has most of her career in front of her.

As for Lev', she hung a lot of losses on the Badgers, so I don't expect their fans to be able to speak objectively about her. I'm not saying she was quite at the level of Noora, but she was every bit as competitive. Both were willing to battle to the last instant to keep the puck out of the net.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Up until that point, I had not had the *slightest* inclining that the guy doing the play-by-play had attended one of the schools playing. Not a hint.

Aim for that. I don't know how; I would be a miserable failure at it. But aim for that. Good luck.
                                Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                Given your audience is the fan base of all four teams, as robertearle says, the best thing to do is to strive for neutrality.
                                Yeah, I'll have to make an effort to do that. Hopefully I can do it haha

My #1 goal is going to be to memorize how to correctly pronounce every player's name. Every time I watch a game and someone says "Caitlin Lonergan" or something I want to throw my laptop... so I feel like I have an opportunity to make a difference in the world lol

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                My suggestion would be to listen to a recording of A.J. Mleczko doing color, and then try not to emulate her in any way.
                                LOL noted
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X