Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2017-18 Season

Also very interesting to note that Buffalo did play all weekend meaning he is either sick, hurt, or in the dog house because if he was there this weekend he would have for sure played vs Q given the shellacking the night before.

Comment

Slapperjack, where are you? I need some help to to breakdown and promote the BIG Green!

Comment

It's GAME DAY for the BIG Green! Bentley rumbles into town for what I can gather is a winnable game for the Big Green, with all do respect to Bentley. A BIG W will do wonders for the emotionally fragile Big Green as it will boost their confidence heading to Denver next week...simply said they need to go there on a high note and just have fun and play hockey while blocking everything else out. That said, let's not look ahead as Bentley comes into town. Go BIG GREEN! How about a couple of PP goals and a big W as early stocking-stuffers?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          It's GAME DAY for the BIG Green! Bentley rumbles into town for what I can gather is a winnable game for the Big Green, with all do respect to Bentley. A BIG W will do wonders for the emotionally fragile Big Green as it will boost their confidence heading to Denver next week...simply said they need to go there on a high note and just have fun and play hockey while blocking everything else out. That said, let's not look ahead as Bentley comes into town. Go BIG GREEN! How about a couple of PP goals and a big W as early stocking-stuffers?
          Falcons on five-game winning streak, including 3-2 upset win over UML in their barn. Hope to be at Thompson Arena tonight if road conditions are not too bad.

Comment

So much for that "winnable" game! I am at lost for words as I have always been a proud proponent/advocate of Big Green hockey as they "laid they the proverbial egg" last night. Let's start out with the lineup last night...notably missing were top goalie in Buffalo and top D pair in Yau/Matthews. They are either sick, injured, or rested as I cannot foresee that they were "sat" for ineffective play. There was just no energy last night as the two teams played even, the more reason to come out with a W. However, 70 seconds in the 2nd period was the beginning of the end as the Big Green let up 3 goals finally chasing Clark. As they say "you can win if you can't score" costing the Big Green dearly. As I have stated many times, they lack the big-time offensive player to impact/influence a game...now you can see that they really miss Crema from last year as no player(s) has stepped up. The names are silent in viewing and in the box scores. Kalk has not caught fire, the line of Kilistoff/Warpecha/? has dried up, Strong who scored some last year, is in and out of the line up. To exemplify this, Kalk was carrying the puck in on the left circle for a 3-1 and for some explicable reason he did not move the puck (thus moving the d or goalie) and settling for a shot on goal from the lower left circle which the goalie saved and not giving up a rebound. That underscores our ineptitude to score goals. Quite simply, while the goaltending and D are effective and decent, they cannot outright "steal" a game for you. There is just too much pressure on them to pitch a shut out. Mind you, I am not blaming the offense as a good defense leads to a good offense in transitions/counters, support, etc. The PP is still atrocious starting with the entries, leading to less set-up zone time. If their PK is holding the blue line puck retrieval on their back side is essential but winning puck battles for possession have been difficult. Ok enough ranting.
            The positives for last night was Less on the D end...this kid is not afraid to mix it up and play the body yet have enough skill to either carry or first pass break out. On the O end was Baker as he was getting behind their D.
            As they say, what is done is done and let's collectively regroup and refocus for next week as it certainly does not get any easier, going to Denver next weekend. I f you haven't watch them play... it is a sight to behold. Their offensive system is downright offensive (literally and figuratively). Talk about puck possession and 5-man play with and without the puck; parts are interchangeable. I probably should note that they have the horses to accomplish that along with the coaching. GO BIG GREEN...I am with you through thick and thin!
            Last edited by BIG Green; 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I attended last night's game and, you are right, there was no energy shown by the home team.
              In fact, after seeing them at Colgate and again last night, I would have to put them in the same category as RPI and Saint Lawrence this year: long seasons with short post-seasons.
              On the plus side, it was just beautiful outside with snow gently coming down in Hanover.

Comment

From Nathan Fournier tonight...
                The Big Green look to pick up their first win since Nov. 4 next weekend when they travel to Denver to take on the Pioneers.

Umm... does Nathan know that the Pioneers are the defending National Champions and that they are ranked fourth in PWR right now (while Dartmouth is 59th of 60)?? he he he

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                  From Nathan Fournier tonight...
                  The Big Green look to pick up their first win since Nov. 4 next weekend when they travel to Denver to take on the Pioneers.

Umm... does Nathan know that the Pioneers are the defending National Champions and that they are ranked fourth in PWR right now (while Dartmouth is 59th of 60)?? he he he
                  I am glad you liked Thompson and the pretty terrain around the town of Hanover! And I agree that work needs to be done for the Big Green and it doesn't get any easier traveling to Denver. And yes it will be a very tough task so I just wish for them to enjoy the moment and have fun playing them, without much pressure. As I said earlier, U of D is fun to watch and Monty coaches them very well!

Comment

B1G GREEN, I agree with you about both Dartmouth and Denver. I came back to upstate New York this year after 28 years in Iowa (UNO season ticket-holder) and the previous 3.5 years in Wisconsin (UIC regular). I am an Omaha fan and a big believer in the strength of the NCHC. Denver at home will be incredibly tough, but Magness Arena is a great venue. I hope Cam Strong is unleashed for the series, as I believe he can help the Big Green. I also believe that his father, former sprint car driver and sanctioning official Doug Strong of Billings, will be in attendance. Both Doug and Cam are straight-up good people. I am now a Colgate season ticket-holder, so I am already looking forward to returning to Hanover and the surrounding area in late January. The Vermont/New Hampshire border region is just beautiful, especially when snow-covered.

Comment

It’s Game Day at DU yes Denver University currently #2 in the nation and last year’s Frozen Four champion. This is your David vs Goliath but that’s why we play the game. DU has been up and down especially for them as they return almost all from a championship team save Will Butcher. As I stated countless times their offensive scheme is very fire wagon-like as they can strike quickly and frequently. As for the Big Green , the pressure is way off as they have nothing to lose and everything to gain, mostly mental strength and confidence heading toward the second half of the season. So enjoy the moment and have fun playing DU. My hope is a trap game weekend and a split. How’s that for an early Christmas present. Go Big Green!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        It’s Game Day at DU yes Denver University currently #2 in the nation and last year’s Frozen Four champion. This is your David vs Goliath but that’s why we play the game. DU has been up and down especially for them as they return almost all from a championship team save Will Butcher. As I stated countless times their offensive scheme is very fire wagon-like as they can strike quickly and frequently. As for the Big Green , the pressure is way off as they have nothing to lose and everything to gain, mostly mental strength and confidence heading toward the second half of the season. So enjoy the moment and have fun playing DU. My hope is a trap game weekend and a split. How’s that for an early Christmas present. Go Big Green!
                        I'm excited for a taste of NH out here in Denver this weekend. Its a tough test for Dartmouth - made more difficult by a poor DU effort against CC, last weekend. I expect the Pioneers will be at their best this weekend...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          I'm excited for a taste of NH out here in Denver this weekend. Its a tough test for Dartmouth - made more difficult by a poor DU effort against CC, last weekend. I expect the Pioneers will be at their best this weekend...
                          Denver 1 Dartmouth 0 WOW, expected the loss, did not expect the score.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Looks like you guys played a great game last night. Maybe tonight's the night. Colgate fan here.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Looks like you guys played a great game last night. Maybe tonight's the night. Colgate fan here.
                              Thanks a lot as we finally certainly did! Very few mistakes on our end and it our end, playing it simple. However if you don’t score you cannot win,

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                Denver 1 Dartmouth 0 WOW, expected the loss, did not expect the score.
                                Wow is right as we finally played our best game of the year, very few mistakes. To hold that team to one lone goal, PP at that is an achievement in itself. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X