X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    "Stranger Things" opening is pretty good and memorable. "House of Cards" too. But neither at the level of older shows, though.
    I think looking at the older shows without our nostalgia, they almost all suck. MTM is good. MASH is adequate. Hawaii 50 has a great song. Peter Gunn has the best theme song in TV history.

But I can't think of another good opening in an old show. Most are pro forma introductions of the characters, like Bob Newhart or Barney Miller. Some are painfully and hideously dated, like Carol Burnette. Others are so horrific the only explanation is an outright loathing of the audience, like Dick Van Dyke or the Brady Bunch. Most are just as pandering and saccharine as the shows themselves, like Kotter or the Partridge Family, .

20th century television sucked.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So no one watched Psyche: The Movie? It was during the the theme song that it hit me just how much i missed hearing that thing. And it had its high points, some extremely funny, but overall, it just seemed a bit lacking to me. Maybe it was the S.F. setting. Or just a rather weak plotline in general.

What I didn't realize was that Timothy Omundson suffered a stroke just weeks before filming was to begin, necessitating a last minute total re-write, and limiting his appearance to just a brief cameo. I thought he looked a bit odd the way he was talking. Have become a huge fan of his after this show, and his work on Galivant and Supernatural.

"Does your left eye have a name too?"

"Yes, it's Lisa Lopes".

"Walked right into that one"
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        So no one watched Psyche: The Movie? It was during the the theme song that it hit me just how much i missed hearing that thing. And it had its high points, some extremely funny, but overall, it just seemed a bit lacking to me. Maybe it was the S.F. setting. Or just a rather weak plotline in general.

What I didn't realize was that Timothy Omundson suffered a stroke just weeks before filming was to begin, necessitating a last minute total re-write, and limiting his appearance to just a brief cameo. I thought he looked a bit odd the way he was talking. Have become a huge fan of his after this show, and his work on Galivant and Supernatural.

"Does your left eye have a name too?"

"Yes, it's Lisa Lopes".

"Walked right into that one"
        We have it TIVO-ed, but I haven't been off from work yet to watch it.
        I hadn't heard that about Timothy Omundson !!!

Comment

Yeah the Timothy Omundson thing was pretty scary but it sounds like he is doing well. They talked about it at Comic-Con and in a bunch of interviews.

I havent watched it yet only cause Psych was the show my best friend and I watched from Day 1 one when it premiered and he hasnt been available to watch it yet.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I think looking at the older shows without our nostalgia, they almost all suck. MTM is good. MASH is adequate. Hawaii 50 has a great song. Peter Gunn has the best theme song in TV history.

But I can't think of another good opening in an old show. Most are pro forma introductions of the characters, like Bob Newhart or Barney Miller. Some are painfully and hideously dated, like Carol Burnette. Others are so horrific the only explanation is an outright loathing of the audience, like Dick Van Dyke or the Brady Bunch. Most are just as pandering and saccharine as the shows themselves, like Kotter or the Partridge Family, .

20th century television sucked.
            Rockford Files, A-Team, The Jeffersons...

Also as noted in another thread: And you knew who you were then...
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-13-2017, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Rockford Files, A-Team, The Jeffersons...

Also as noted in another thread: And you knew who you were then...
              A-Team was legit great, OK.

The others are our nostalgia. Play them for a 17 year old now. You'll get a pitying look and a recruiting trip to the local assisted living facility.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I was always partial to N.Y.P.D.
                https://youtu.be/1N7Tg2jaCdw
                M Squad with Count Basie doing the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65xzJN9O18
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

Wow. Now I hafta see that.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Wow. Now I hafta see that.
                    From what I remember it was a pretty good show. Lee Marvin was always one of my faves.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

https://youtu.be/Jm_t3g4RhpY
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

https://youtu.be/Jm_t3g4RhpY
                        Didn't remember that one. Looked it up, show lasted for 4 episodes, now I know why.

Comment

From what I remember it was a pretty good show. Lee Marvin was always one of my faves.
                          Me too. His Twilight Zone "The Grave" is among my favorites and for a long time was pretty obscure in the rotation.

He's wonderful in basically everything he ever does. And he had a great sour attitude towards acting, basically saying it was the easiest job he'd ever had. Other actors apparently Did Not Like This.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Me too. His Twilight Zone "The Grave" is among my favorites and for a long time was pretty obscure in the rotation.

He's wonderful in basically everything he ever does. And he had a great sour attitude towards acting, basically saying it was the easiest job he'd ever had. Other actors apparently Did Not Like This.
                            I remember that episode. Funny, 1 year later Lee Van Cleef and Strother Martin were Marvin's stooges in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.(One of my top 10 movies)

Comment

The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday. Hilarious movie. And maybe Oliver Reed's best role.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

If this is the one I'm thinking of, my father-in-law really likes it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X