X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: There She Is, The Old Radiation King

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The Tolkien universe is rich with history. Remember from the opening narration of the Fellowship movie that there are "two and half thousand years" between Isildur and Bilbo - and that's just the third age. There are so many stories they could do, ranging from the adventures of a young Aragorn to the downfall of Gondor after Isildur to an origin story of Elves or Dwarves or Orcs to the journeys of Gandalf or something entirely new within the framework of the Tolkien timeline. If they do it right (first trilogy) it will be a masterpiece. If not (second trilogy) it will be a trainwreck.

Problem is that most of that timeframe is only an event and a year.

Something like...

TA 1972 Aranost arrives at Fornost

^ Completely made up but illustrates that nothing else is detailed.

I had limitless faith in Jackson after the first trilogy coz other than a quibble or two, they nailed it better than I could have ever hoped.

I have none now after what he did to the Hobbit and it was just as bad as the LOTR was great. It's unwatchable yet seems to be on every weekend.

PJ won't likely be involved in this and I hope that the writers understand the flaws of the Hobbit and seek to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Problem is that most of that timeframe is only an event and a year.

Something like...

TA 1972 Aranost arrives at Fornost

^ Completely made up but illustrates that nothing else is detailed.

I had limitless faith in Jackson after the first trilogy coz other than a quibble or two, they nailed it better than I could have ever hoped.

I have none now after what he did to the Hobbit and it was just as bad as the LOTR was great. It's unwatchable yet seems to be on every weekend.

PJ won't likely be involved in this and I hope that the writers understand the flaws of the Hobbit and seek to do better.
      Exactly. The Lord of the Rings worked as a trilogy because the story was already fleshed out. Yes it deviated here and there but the majority was written and done so in such an in depth way that they really didnt need much help. The Hobbit was awful because they had a short story that got stretched so thin they had to figure out ways to make it interesting for 3 movies and it just didnt work.

If they are going to just make up stories based on vague references in the Addendum at the end of LOTR it is going to be awful. I shudder to think what the dialogue alone will be like. (which is half the charm of Tolkiens writing)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

When will HBO or someone give Dune the treatment it deserves?
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Deadwood revival officially moving forward according to HBO exec. There is a script. It just comes down to shoring up the cast and the $. God I hope it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Denis Villeneuve is warming up in the bullpen.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              I'm guessing no.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I'm guessing no.
                No, really. Denis Villeneuve has got this. He has said it's going to be nothing like the 1984 film and he wants to stick closely to the source material.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  I will take this occasion to highly recommend the movie Rustler's Rhapsody.

"Well, from now on, I'm the town root junkie."
                  After posting this a few days ago, guess what I ran across on cable this morning?

Yep, Rustler's Rhapsody. Still funny.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Gomorrah S3 has now started!

S2 for Berlin Station and Exorcist have been great so far.

Shameless isn't what it used to be, but Kevin getting consoled at the breast cancer support group was funny as hell.

Comment

This new Fall Finale phenomena is interesting I guess. Watched both the Black List and How To Get Away With Murder fall finale's.

The Black List was awesome. More answers coming that we've been waiting for. One of the best episodes ever.

HTGAWM proves again it has no redeemable characters and those of us that watch it it's like crack.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I know a few of you guys gave up on Mr Robot last season, but it's been fantastic so far. Last two episodes have been Breaking Bad Season 5 quality.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          I know a few of you guys gave up on Mr Robot last season, but it's been fantastic so far. Last two episodes have been Breaking Bad Season 5 quality.
                          Last seasons second half was great. I am letting this season build up in the que so I can binge it.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Slate is just too much sometimes:
                            http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...trying_to.html

From the comments section:
                            Yeah, when you get your panties in a twist about how Mayor Quimby stereotypes corrupt politicians who sound like the Kennedys, and how Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel stereotypes rural white Southerners, and how the Flanderses stereotype white Christians, and how Mrs. Crabapple stereotypes divorced middle-aged white women, and how Mr. Burns stereotypes rich white men, and how Fat Tony D'Amico stereotypes Italian-American Mafiosi, and how Milhouse stereotypes nerds, and Nelson and Jimbo stereotype bullies, etc., etc., etc., call me back.

Gosh, it's almost as if ALL the Simpsons characters are stereotypes.
                            Lighten up Francis. Everyone on that show is a stereotype, because that's how satirizing society works; further, Apu is one of the more fleshed-out side characters and gets to display the same depth of virtues and vices as the other prominent characters. In other words, the show very much humanizes him.

The Simpsons happened to come of age around the time when the Indian population in America was still fairly low and most of them were newly immigrated and working hard to make it in the kinds of jobs new immigrants have done in America since the beginning-- there's nothing wrong with that. If the show started today, Apu would probably be a doctor or a computer programmer making bank on an H1B visa. I'm sure the interviewee wouldn't make as much noise about that stereotype.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So... the Lawrence Welk show is creeptastic.

Even in the context of when it aired.

This isn't a new revelation for me as I've watched segments of it before - every once in a while I tune in for a bit just for the fun of the willies.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Slate is just too much sometimes:
                                http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...trying_to.html

From the comments section:
                                You got to admit that many characters on that show stand no chance of getting green lit if they're pitched today. If anything it shows how much we've changed in 30 years...
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X