Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Well last night's game was a microcosm of this season of inconsistency. Power play scores three times but gives up three PP goals (that makes five in the last two games). Our D once again was all over the map and Lackey didn't shine although it wasn't totally his fault. We simply can't seem to put together 60 minutes of hockey and I'm afraid that will be our undoing sooner rather than later. If we play like this against Dartmouth in two weeks, we'll lose because they are on fire at the moment.

Hopefully during the bye week, we can right the ship and get our heads on straight. Yale should be in a terrific mood given they lost to the Green last night. Ugh. Lost weekend.
    The first period looked like we were playing like the game didn't matter (which it really doesn't), but that is not a good habit to get into. And it was another, of several, games in which we out shot our opponent(45-29 last night) and lost. I think there were too many bad quality shots taken which led to turnovers. I'd prefer to see an extra pass instead of a bad shot. And our goal tending wasn't at its best. No big deal, hopefully we play with more sense of urgency in the next few games.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      If we play like this against Dartmouth in two weeks, we'll lose because they are on fire at the moment.

No guarantee that Harvard would get Dartmouth 2 weeks from now since there's still a possibility of H getting 3rd place (they own the tiebreaker against Clarkson). Their opponent could any of those teams fighting it out for the 6th spot (Princeton, Q, etc.).

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        Well last night's game was a microcosm of this season of inconsistency. Power play scores three times but gives up three PP goals (that makes five in the last two games). Our D once again was all over the map and Lackey didn't shine although it wasn't totally his fault. We simply can't seem to put together 60 minutes of hockey and I'm afraid that will be our undoing sooner rather than later. If we play like this against Dartmouth in two weeks, we'll lose because they are on fire at the moment.

Hopefully during the bye week, we can right the ship and get our heads on straight. Yale should be in a terrific mood given they lost to the Green last night. Ugh. Lost weekend.
        Harvard matches up very well with Dartmouth, and beat them fairly convincingly in Hanover a few weeks back. I would love this match up, much more so than having to face Yale or Princeton.

Tonight’s game against Yale is irrelevant and perhaps Harvard can do some tinkering. It’s strange that tinkering is needed this late in the season, but such has been the year.

Donato taking 12 SOGs is not a path to victory. He needs to pass the puck more and his line mates need to skate to goal scoring areas given the attention that Donato draws. I don’t like Donato skating with Horton who is not a finisher.

Comment

Anyone notice how turnovers at the blue line led to breakaway goals? I too have a sense we were not trying hard. Hopefully tonight at Yale the crowd will generate some excitement and team adrenaline.

BTW it seems to me most games at B-L are sparsely attended. But by comparison it was like a morgue last night at Brown (Meehan Auditorium). I would guess only about 100 or so fans showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Harvard matches up very well with Dartmouth, and beat them fairly convincingly in Hanover a few weeks back. I would love this match up, much more so than having to face Yale or Princeton.

There is a saying, "Be Careful What You Wish For"! But you are absolutely correct in how in both games you got the better of us. I would throw out the first game as we were just awful early in the season but as far as the second game, no excuses! I would also add Cornell and Princeton as the two other teams that got the better of us in both games as well. Good luck the rest of the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hockey View Post
              No guarantee that Harvard would get Dartmouth 2 weeks from now since there's still a possibility of H getting 3rd place (they own the tiebreaker against Clarkson). Their opponent could any of those teams fighting it out for the 6th spot (Princeton, Q, etc.).
              Well that's not happening. Total washout this weekend. If the team really wasn't interested in playing, they should have forfeited. This isn't the way you want to go into the bye. I expect the coaches will be holding some hard practices to get the team re-focused. At least I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post

There is a saying, "Be Careful What You Wish For"! But you are absolutely correct in how in both games you got the better of us. I would throw out the first game as we were just awful early in the season but as far as the second game, no excuses! I would also add Cornell and Princeton as the two other teams that got the better of us in both games as well. Good luck the rest of the way!
                I agree except Dartmouth has been playing lights out and our inconsistency leaves me worried about what will happen in two weeks. That said, Ryan Donato should be over his jet lag (surprised he played this weekend), the coaches can work on the PK, outlet passes, and hopefully create some better chemistry with the line combos. Good luck against SLU.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                  Anyone notice how turnovers at the blue line led to breakaway goals? I too have a sense we were not trying hard. Hopefully tonight at Yale the crowd will generate some excitement and team adrenaline.

BTW it seems to me most games at B-L are sparsely attended. But by comparison it was like a morgue last night at Brown (Meehan Auditorium). I would guess only about 100 or so fans showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Meehan used to be a difficult place to play but Brown's indifference to athletics has led to sparse attendance. They desperately need a new building and some commitment to their various sports. The women's program has really suffered over the past 8 years and it doesn't look like they will turn it around any time soon.

Comment

Tonight's game vs Yale really was a microcosm of the whole season:

- Tons of opportunities that were not finished and not hitting the net (how many one-timers were missed high or wide??)
                    - Two horrendous defensive lapses (Walsh not getting back on 1st goal and Sherman with a horrendous poke check on 2nd goal) to give up both Yale goals
                    - Too much selfish and predictable hockey (not making extra pass), particularly from #16
                    - Goalie not making a big (but very savable) save when needed (Yale goal #1)

Generally when a team is plagued by what Harvard has been plagued with all year long, it usually comes down to a lack of leadership. And as much as I hope the team will go on some crazy run since they have the talent to do so (and the Dartmouth match up is the best Harvard could have hoped for if the seeds hold serve), a team like Cornell (likely Lake Placid foe) preys on inconsistency that Harvard has consistently displayed all year long.

This Harvard team has by and large underachieved this year and it is always hard to root for an underachiever.

I honestly think the team will be better next year (even if Donato does leave) and I really like what I see from Bowlby and Badini
                    Last edited by bothman; 02-24-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      .. I honestly think the team will be better next year (even if Donato does leave) and I really like what I see from Bowlby and Badini
                      Bruins trading away Spooner & Vatrano in seperate deals. So they do get Nash & draft pick.. but me thinks (they doing this) to make room for R Donato at some point. Not sure i agree with it because those 2 kids proven & tested at nxt level. Is what it is.. but now even i am thinking he prob will leave, even though i think he should finish last yr. The game is played on several levels.
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I think Kevin Paul Dupont tweeted he expects them to sign Donato when Harvard's season is done. But who the hell knows.

Comment

In this morning's Globe Bruins Notebook section, Don Sweeney says that he will sit down with Ryan and Teddy at the conclusion of Harvard's season. My guess is that Sweeney will make a push to get Ryan to leave early. This is delicate on all fronts and the media making such a big deal with him leaving early just adds gasoline to the fire.

Strange that there is no mention of Wiley Sherman since he is a senior and his last game as a Crimson D would give him an opening to leave and join the B's. Maybe they want him to spend time in Providence to evaluate especially since they have nine D on the roster. Sending Lindgren to the Rangers may open up an opportunity for Sherman down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                            Bruins trading away Spooner & Vatrano in seperate deals. So they do get Nash & draft pick.. but me thinks (they doing this) to make room for R Donato at some point. Not sure i agree with it because those 2 kids proven & tested at nxt level. Is what it is.. but now even i am thinking he prob will leave, even though i think he should finish last yr. The game is played on several levels.
                            Vatrano had limited upside and was at best an AHL player. Getting a third rounder for him was amazing. Spooner is a creative player but not a game changer. While I think the Bruins gave up way too much to get Nash, I'm not going to lose sleep over Spooner wearing a Blueshirt uni.

I agree with you that it takes time for some of these prospects to develop and Ryan would be wise to look at Anders Bjork and his experience this year. Expectations were very high for Bjork; the Bruins slotted him on the first line with Bergeron and Marchand. A lot to ask of a rookie especially someone leaving school early.

Comment

As to ticket sales procedures there is/was a glitch in online sales.

I have had season tickets for about 30 years, used to have a pair but now get a singles season ticket (my son moved to Los Angeles, no idea why anyone would want to live there).When I went to buy my playoff tickets online it would not let me do so as my seat is adjacent to a column and selling me my seat would leave a single seat next to me and the system does not allow leaving a single seat. I called the ticket office and they were able to override the restrictions and sell me my usual seat. I do wonder if some season ticket holders might give up due to the online rejection.

The sports marketing people are not doing a great job. For years they provided decent food in the Boynton Lounge but this year it has been fairly awful. The lounge (Boynton and the old Blue Line Club) used to provide free coffee, tea and cocoa, now they never have coffee or tea even for a price. When they redid the arena they replaced the old seats which theatre type seats which provide less leg room for tall people and angle you back as if you are looking up at a screen rather then down towards the ice so you have to lean forward with no back support. Even the ancient Greeks knew how to build better support into a seat. (yes, I am 6'2" and have a bad back and am whining)

Student attendance continues to fall. Apparently the most favored sport at Harvard now is basketball and the Harvard Band rarely plays at Bright-Landry as they seem to be reserved for basketball games. Instead we get recorded (fairly crappy) music played at very high volumes. Not that long ago Bright would be filled to capacity while basketball games would often draw crowds of 50 to 150 people. OK, enough whining from me, just had to say that.

As to Ryan Donato, I hope he stays at Harvard and suspect that he might. He brother Jack is on the team and his girlfriend, Bradley, is also a junior (and hockey player). I have no idea where Nolan ( a senior this year) will go to college but he also is a hockey player and might end up at Harvard. If I were in the position of Ryan's parents I would say stay and get your AB, hockey will still be there next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Student attendance continues to fall. Apparently the most favored sport at Harvard now is basketball and the Harvard Band rarely plays at Bright-Landry as they seem to be reserved for basketball games. Instead we get recorded (fairly crappy) music played at very high volumes. Not that long ago Bright would be filled to capacity while basketball games would often draw crowds of 50 to 150 people. OK, enough whining from me, just had to say that.
                                There are the same problems at Yale, basketball is currently drawing away students and the band, even the mascot doesn't bother to show up unless it is Harvard, Cornell, or Quinnipiac. Interestingly, those three games are considered "premium" games for which you have to pay more. I guess the extra money is for the entertainment, lol. That said I would say that Yale is still averaging about 3K in attendance for hockey, which isn't too bad concerning the past two years product. I must add that the Yale box office is very professional and usually on top of their game with communications and marketing. I am surprised Harvard has not bounced back after the great 2016-2017 season.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X