Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    I'm not sure about this but if Team USA loses its next game on Tuesday, are they done?
    Yes, if they lose tonight (tomorrow in South Korea), they're done. I was wondering the same thing about Greenway. If they want to stay the rest of the Olympics and participate in the Closing Ceremony, I can't fault them, but I have a feeling most of the team will head home if they lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Yes, if they lose tonight (tomorrow in South Korea), they're done. I was wondering the same thing about Greenway. If they want to stay the rest of the Olympics and participate in the Closing Ceremony, I can't fault them, but I have a feeling most of the team will head home if they lose.
      I hope Donato fully enjoys the olympics. No need for him to come back for 2 games that won’t mean much. 3vs4 seed? No team in ECAC is so dominant this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        I hope Donato fully enjoys the olympics.
        He sure seems to be. Man has he looked great.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          ..yes he does. gets another beauty tonight.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Watching on TV it looked like Teddy, Jeanine and Maddy were pretty happy!!

Comment

Watching Ryan at the Olympics it becomes easy to see why he might jump after this season if the Bruins come calling (and why wouldn't they?). His game is suited for how the Bruins are currently playing and if you put him on a line with Trent Frederic and Anders Bjork, watch out.

That's not to say I want him to leave. I don't. But it is hard to see why he would stay when he is clearly the best player on Team USA and is playing well against more established, albeit fringe, players. He has to feel like he has nothing more to prove by staying unless graduating with his class (and girlfriend) and celebrating Senior Day with his family is more important. This is going to be one tough call. If Teddy had any hair left, it would disappear by June.

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                Watching Ryan at the Olympics it becomes easy to see why he might jump after this season if the Bruins come calling (and why wouldn't they?). His game is suited for how the Bruins are currently playing and if you put him on a line with Trent Frederic and Anders Bjork, watch out.

That's not to say I want him to leave. I don't. But it is hard to see why he would stay when he is clearly the best player on Team USA and is playing well against more established, albeit fringe, players. He has to feel like he has nothing more to prove by staying unless graduating with his class (and girlfriend) and celebrating Senior Day with his family is more important. This is going to be one tough call. If Teddy had any hair left, it would disappear by June.
                How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely. I would actually be concerned that an early departure may well portend a more carefully considered admissions review process going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by HUCrimson#1; 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                  How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely.
                  I agree with you, but I also like to think that its good for the student athlete to stay and finish his degree with his class, regardless of what he plans to do next.

I just watched last night's Slovakia game and I have to say it was so great to see Ted Donato cheering wildly in his tuque. I hope tonight's game goes as well.

The Ticket Office just offered me a chance to buy tickets for the 2nd round ECAC home stand Mar 9-11. Even though we are in the 1-2 day window when tickets are offered to season ticket holders first (prior to general public Thursday), unbelievably the seats of season ticket holders are not protected. What I mean is I could have bought any seat at Bright-Landry, including all those in my our section that I KNOW are held by season ticket holders, and anybody could have bought our usual seats too. Sometimes I think the ticket office just doesn't get it.

And Yale sold out for this Saturday. That's the place to be, I don't think the Brown game will compare.
                  Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 02-20-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• U.S. is done. Nevertheless, good tourney for Donato (& Terry).
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely. I would actually be concerned that an early departure may well portend a more carefully considered admissions review process going forward.
                      What do you mean mid-way through junior year? Thought the poster said after this season. Keep in mind that Donato also started at Harvard a little later than usual, after he was drafted. He's going to be 22 in April. Despite Don Sweeney's ties to Harvard I have to think they want to sign him. And as a local kid, I can't see Ryan going the free agent route. He probably wants to play for the Bruins. Is it possible to get your degree from Harvard in three years? Not sure if he's been working toward that but this isn't a Louis Leblanc one and done. Getting three years is nothing to scoff at these days. And if he doesn't get his degree after three years I'm willing to bet he does whatever it takes to secure it even after going pro.

Comment

he is going to stay & get his degree. the nhl will be there. he needs to get stronger anyway.

otherwise everything the dad preaches, the emperor has no clothes. they are a smart family & will do the right thing.. just my opinion.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          What do you mean mid-way through junior year? Thought the poster said after this season. Keep in mind that Donato also started at Harvard a little later than usual, after he was drafted. He's going to be 22 in April. Despite Don Sweeney's ties to Harvard I have to think they want to sign him. And as a local kid, I can't see Ryan going the free agent route. He probably wants to play for the Bruins. Is it possible to get your degree from Harvard in three years? Not sure if he's been working toward that but this isn't a Louis Leblanc one and done. Getting three years is nothing to scoff at these days. And if he doesn't get his degree after three years I'm willing to bet he does whatever it takes to secure it even after going pro.
                          This. The Bruins should get him signed the second Harvard's season is over. He can finish his degree anytime considering Harvard is down the street from the Garden. Its not like he would be playing all the time for a team in Western Canada. He has summers to finish this degree.
                          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                          https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Is it possible to get your degree from Harvard in three years? Not sure if he's been working toward that but this isn't a Louis Leblanc one and done. Getting three years is nothing to scoff at these days. And if he doesn't get his degree after three years I'm willing to bet he does whatever it takes to secure it even after going pro.
                            It might be possible to leave after junior year, then come back and take summer classes for the next couple years in order to get enough credits to graduate???

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I never said that Teddy was going to encourage Ryan to leave. Quite the opposite, I think he will make a push to have him stay. But I also think he won't stand in the way if Ryan is adamant about leaving after this year. And Teddy never coached Dom Moore. That was Mazzoleni.

Admissions isn't going to lay this at the feet of the coach. They know that the coaches are in a tough spot having to compete against schools where athletes regularly leave after one or two years. Tommy Amaker would have faced that after this season if Wes Carter chose to attend Harvard. NBA scouts have him pegged going no later than #8 in the first round. How do you tell a kid to ignore that standing and stay for four years? Not going to happen.

I have no idea what Ryan will or won't do but I'm sure that he will sit down with his family and friends and talk it through. If Harvard had another head coach besides his father, perhaps the decision would be easier for him to leave. Again, I don't know. Let's just enjoy the present moment and let the process unfold after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                                It might be possible to leave after junior year, then come back and take summer classes for the next couple years in order to get enough credits to graduate???
                                Both are possibilities. That was talk that Danny Biega was going to try to finish Harvard in three years to head to the pros back when he was drafted but it is extremely difficult. Advanced standing, summer classes, and taking a 5 class courseload per semester while playing would be pretty much the only way. He can also take summer classes (and possibly extension classes?) the next few years. Being in Boston, he could (he wouldn't so don't yell at me that I'm being ridiculous, I'm saying only the possible even if unlikely) even take a class during the year.

I hope he stays but gut feeling says he goes.

As for the long lamented Louis Leblanc - well even he came back to the campus once his playing days were over. Even one and dones are not necessarily one and done at Harvard.
                                Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                                Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                                X