Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
    I didn’t think Ryan would leave early but my mind changed after seeing him play at the Olympics. He definitely seems ready for the next level.

Is it crazy to think he can continue his studies and possibly graduate on time assuming he plays for the Bruins next year? I know Harvard is rigorous, so that may not be realistic.
    Agreed, I bet he will shine as a Bruin. Hard to imagine one can graduate in May 2019 assuming the current spring term plus two terms next year (12 courses) are taken up as a touring pro hockey player. I would guess it will take three or four summers to finish up. I wonder if independent study is feasible? I wish Ryan well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

No one has mentioned possible injury in his senior year could jeopardise multi millions of dollars in his NHL lifetime. An MCL or ACL tear in the knee could end his career.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Good luck to Ryan, he did everything he could at Harvard and it will be exciting seeing him play for the Bruins.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          No one has mentioned possible injury in his senior year could jeopardise multi millions of dollars in his NHL lifetime. An MCL or ACL tear in the knee could end his career.
          That always a concern for college athletes, but the same concern is there as a pro.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            Yes, but the point is he would have the money by then. If he gets hurt while still in college the big payday is gone forever.

Comment

That's what I meant chickrod.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                I can see how my comments have appeared much more adamant than I actually meant to convey. It's just that I view Harvard College as justifiably known for its students. Quite a few of whom happen also to be athletes. When students leave early it is a loss to all. Not only athletes, but think of Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates or, so many decades ago, Edwin Land all of whom left early. Regretfully it will be much harder now for Ted to make a persuasive case to those contemplating an early exit. Fingers crossed other drafted players such as Adam Fox, John Marino don't decide to go pro. Hopefully Louis Leblanc can share his experience leaving after one year unable then to sustain an NHL career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                LeBlanc left early to go to the CHL and to play for Canada at the World Juniors, even if he thought that would help his NHL career. Not comparable. I also bet Vesey would have left early if he had wanted to play for Nashville, but that's speculation.

Donato stayed for three years and is going to make progress toward his degree. There is no knock on the program in what he is doing. If a student left after three years for a high paying job in finance, but also promised to come back for their degree, none of us would bat an eye. Or frankly even know. It's only because Ryan is an athlete that we are aware of this at all.
                Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

Another thing to consider is he only had to sign a 2yr entry level contract and by playing this season, he will burn 1yr of that contract off. So after next season, he will be able to sign as a restricted free agent, which presumably will be higher than the $900K annual entry level contract... So there was a significant monetary advantage to sign now, rather than wait...

Comment

Well, that didn't take long, snipe in his first pro game. Looks good out there.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Story on Donato’s Bruins debut including quotes from him and Bruce Cassidy:

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1366023
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

According to The Crimson, Donato went back to his dorm in Winthrop after the game and went to his 9am class today.

Anyone still worried that we are going to become a hockey factory that neglects the student part of student-athlete just because Ryan went pro?
                        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Coyotes Sign Madsen to Two-Year, Entry-Level Contract

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coy...ct/c-297126072

Comment

Wiley Sherman has signed with the Bruins and will report to Providence.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                              According to The Crimson, Donato went back to his dorm in Winthrop after the game and went to his 9am class today.

Anyone still worried that we are going to become a hockey factory that neglects the student part of student-athlete just because Ryan went pro?
                              That makes sense. There are only 10 regular season Bruins games between now and the start of reading period. The river houses are a lot closer to both the Garden and the Bruin's practice rink than his family home. I know he has not been home. I suspect that he is able to arrange exam schedules or perhaps get permission to submit major papers in lieu of exams. Some of the courses may have already had provisions for papers in lieu of exams.

Comment

Flames D Fox staying at Harvard for 2018-19

Comment

Working...
                                X