Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Meanwhile, the Colgate webcast for Friday night. Not sure yet if WHRB will carry it too.

https://watchstadium.com/live/harvard-at-colgate/

Comment

Colgate game:
      - Donato needs to PASS THE PUCK
      - Floodstrand and Ellis need to bury easy tap ins. Both had deer in headlights moments and made the Colgate goalie look good
      - The 2nd line (Lloyd, Horton, and Floodstrand) has zero mojo. Needs to be broken up. No goal scorer on that line which is a huge problem
      - Masdsen still way too deep in crease (1st Colgate goal)

This has a very good chance of being a 0 point weekend. Harvard had no business losing that game. Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        Colgate game:
        - Donato needs to PASS THE PUCK
        - Floodstrand and Ellis need to bury easy tap ins. Both had deer in headlights moments and made the Colgate goalie look good
        - The 2nd line (Lloyd, Horton, and Floodstrand) has zero mojo. Needs to be broken up. No goal scorer on that line which is a huge problem
        - Masdsen still way too deep in crease (1st Colgate goal)

This has a very good chance of being a 0 point weekend. Harvard had no business losing that game. Ugh!
        Nothing really to add - you summed it up perfectly. Our lack of offensive skill really shows up in games like this when the other team tries to pack it in and rely on their goalie. I'm still trying to figure out how Floodstrand missed that wide open net in the third.

Ryan needs to go back to wing. He's not a center that can help his line mates. And would it kill Zerter-Gossage to be harder on the puck along the boards and maybe learn to pass the puck more efficiently? Cripes, I lost count the number of times Colgate came away with the puck when ZG had the opportunity to create something or set up his teammates. He is looking too one dimensional at the moment.

Like you, I fear that this is going to be a zero point weekend.

Comment

Great story about Bobby Orr and Veterans Day:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...miN/story.html

Comment

Harvard should play the game under protest. Just an antriciously refereed. Giving the coach a bench minor with 2 mins left?

An embarrassing night for the ECAC

Comment

Harvard should play the game under protest. Just an antriciously refereed. Giving the coach a bench minor with 2 mins left?

Refs botched this game big time

Comment

Watched the end of the game and I have to agree, he was warned multiple times and I get that but Donato was arguing plays that were clearly bad calls and the fact that there was some one-sided officiating down the stretch, the Cornell goalie made the most of the GI call and then Cornell gets away with something pretty similar, Donato also gets a break and is hooked, if it's not a penalty shot then it's at least 2 minutes. I didn't even see the Sherman trip so I can't comment on that but Graber and Lynch are two of the worst refs in D1 hockey and they should never get games that are obviously going to be heated like that.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                  Watched the end of the game and I have to agree, he was warned multiple times and I get that but Donato was arguing plays that were clearly bad calls and the fact that there was some one-sided officiating down the stretch, the Cornell goalie made the most of the GI call and then Cornell gets away with something pretty similar, Donato also gets a break and is hooked, if it's not a penalty shot then it's at least 2 minutes. I didn't even see the Sherman trip so I can't comment on that but Graber and Lynch are two of the worst refs in D1 hockey and they should never get games that are obviously going to be heated like that.
                  An absolute disgrace and embarrassing for the league.

Comment

With the emotions subsided, some more thoughts:
                    - Harvard played with much more intention out of the gate and showed well. This team is going to be ok. They just need time to gel and time to get to the right line combos
                    - I said it before, I will say it again...Harvard's 2nd line needs a re-boot. No one on that line can score. I would have Badini center the 2nd line and have Krusko on the right and perhaps Byce on the left. This will leave Harvard with 2 lines that can score and then the 3rd line that can skate and the 4th line that can grind.
                    - I liked the switch of Bowlby to the 1st line and Byce to the 3rd line (Byce has struggled this year out of the gate)
                    - The 2nd PP is really challenged. Why is Floodstrand on this unit?
                    - I still think Madsen is playing too deep in the goal, which makes his huge frame much smaller.
                    - The 2nd goal that Harvard gave up was just a horrible defensive play by Olson. I know that he is from Minny, but I worry about him on the big sheet - He really needs to work on his skating/positioning. He had no idea where he was on the ice and the angle to take and he let the Cornell forward skate right around him and to the net (this was another Exhibit A of Madsen playing deep in the crease instead of shutting down the angle and poking the puck away from the Cornell forward as he went right to left across the crease)
                    - Not going to go crazy about the refs, but after Donato gets hooked on a breakaway (which could have been a penalty shot, let alone 2 mins), the refs have zero business getting involved with Donato. I don't care if he was saying something about their mothers. You don't let a referee dictate an outcome in the last 2 mins in a rivalry game, especially after botching a call. Earmuffs as opposed to making yourself bigger than the game! I expect both of these referees to be given a stern lecture this week and a tape to be sent to the league of the scenario.

Have not seen Clarkson this year (may be the class of the ECAC), but other than that, this is definitely a down year in the ECAC (and from the looks of it, the East Coast). Cornell is always a well coached team with a good system, but they are not a dominant team and either is Colgate. I think Harvard will be better than both of those teams when playoff hockey comes around.

I think the trip to Minny next weekend is a great oppty, but a really tough test for this team. It will be interesting to see how they play on the big sheet.
                    Last edited by bothman; 11-12-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

With the emotions subsided, some more thoughts:
                      Have not seen Clarkson this year (may be the class of the ECAC), but other than that, this is definitely a down year in the ECAC (and from the looks of it, the East Coast). Cornell is always a well-coached team with a good system, but they are not a dominant team and either is Colgate. I think Harvard will be better than both of those teams when playoff hockey comes around.
                      Way too early for any ECAC or Harvard fan to worry. I remember back in 2012 a certain ECAC team from Cambridge, Massachusetts that was picked to finish last in the ECAC but made a late season run and was 10 minutes away from winning it all in Jersey City.
                      Harvard Gazette
                      Picked to finish last, men’s hockey makes late-season run, finishing 13-10-11
                      https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...of-redemption/

The history of the ECAC is replete with teams at or near last place in January going on to finish at or near the top. Its way to early to discount anyone.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not going to go crazy about the refs, but after Donato gets hooked on a breakaway (which could have been a penalty shot, let alone 2 mins), the refs have zero business getting involved with Donato. I don't care if he was saying something about their mothers. You don't let a referee dictate an outcome in the last 2 mins in a rivalry game, especially after botching a call. Earmuffs as opposed to making yourself bigger than the game! I expect both of these referees to be given a stern lecture this week and a tape to be sent to the league of the scenario.
                        As a high level sports official, this is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your coach was warned several times by all accounts and he finally ran out of slack. Graber is one of the best young officials in the ECAC. I'd rather see him do a Clarkson game any day than McDonald or Feola or one of the "good" ECAC officials. I don't know a lot about Lynch but he's also a very experienced young official from what I can read.
                        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                        7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                          As a high level sports official, this is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your coach was warned several times by all accounts and he finally ran out of slack. Graber is one of the best young officials in the ECAC. I'd rather see him do a Clarkson game any day than McDonald or Feola or one of the "good" ECAC officials. I don't know a lot about Lynch but he's also a very experienced young official from what I can read.
                          Scroll down. Seems like others do not share your views on those 2 officials

Comment

Graber has had multiple issues with games involving Clarkson, he's our new Murphy, actually if I recall correctly Graber has had a few of the Clarkson Cornell games at Lynah and has made a mess of them more times than not.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                              Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that

https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.

Comment

I didn't see the game but from the box score, I have to say I'm not surprised. Harvard has taken it on the chin from officials where Cornell is involved and I can honestly say that if this game was played at Bright-Landry, we would not have been given three power plays at the end of the game. Would not have happened. What goes around comes around so it will be interesting to see later in the season if payback comes in the form of a multiple calls against the Red at B-L. Not holding my breath.

Doesn't get any easier next week. I'm afraid that we are going to have a losing record come January and one that may drop us to eighth or ninth place. We just don't have the skill up front and I'm not sure it will magically reappear later in the season. Hope I'm wrong. And Madsen needs to start stealing games like he did in March last season if we have any chance at a top four berth for the ECACs.

Comment

Working...
                                X