X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    Courtesy of HE, some interesting notes:

No. 1 Boston College (20-13-4, 18-6-0 HEA) advances to the semifinals for the third straight year after claiming its 16th Hockey East regular season title. No. 4 Boston University (19-13-4, 12-8-4 HEA) advances to the TD Garden for the fourth consecutive season, winning its 12th straight quarterfinal game to do so. It is the second year in a row that the Eagles and Terriers will meet in the Hockey East semifinals. In 2017, the Eagles topped the Terriers, 3-2, to advance to their league-record 17th appearance in the championship contest. Both programs are skating in the Hockey East semifinals for the 24th time, the most of any school in league tournament history. All-time in postseason play, Boston University owns a 9-4 record over Boston College in 10 previous series, including a 3-2 mark in the semifinals. Between the Eagles (11) and Terriers (9), the two programs have claimed 20 of the previous 33 Hockey East Tournament titles. During the regular season, the teams split a pair of Hockey East games, 1-1-0.

but having a brain cramp with this:

All-time in postseason play, Boston University owns a 9-4 record over Boston College in 10 previous series, including a 3-2 mark in the semifinals.
    The semifinal and finals are single games... quarter final games could be 2 or 3 games. So, the 9-4 record is 13 games played over 10 series. I know one QF series went 3 games where BU upset us at Conte. But that's all the math I'm doing for ya. Have fun figuring it out.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Could that possibly mean seasons? As in they have met in the playoffs 10 times, totalling 13 games (that would include any QF series matchups).

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Could that possibly mean seasons? As in they have met in the playoffs 10 times, totalling 13 games (that would include any QF series matchups).
        Although with the comment "All-Time in Post-Season play" could in theory mean that if they met in both conference and NCAA tournaments that would count as two "series". When BU won the title over BC in 1978, did they also meet in the ECAC's?
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Good luck. no chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            When BU won the title over BC in 1978, did they also meet in the ECAC's?
            No. That was the year when we lost in the semis to Providence, 5-1. But in those days (because there were only two leagues - the ECAC in the East and the WCHA in the West), two teams from each league went to the NCAAs (it was just the Final Four [not "Frozen Four" - that was a marketing thing that was started I think by ESPN] then - only a four team tournament). So the winner of the league tournament received the automatic bid and the committee selected the second representative. Usually it was the two teams that met in the finals, but because BU was so dominant and had such a great year (there was tremendous Western dominance at that time and the ECAC wanted the best possible representative to go to the Final Four), it was decided after we beat Brown in the Consolation Game, that there would be a special "NCAA Qualifier Game." BU would play Providence (who had lost to BC in the championship game) again, essentially giving the best team in the East a "second chance" to get to the Final Four. Although it was decided by the ECAC, it was considered an "NCAA" game (similar to the "play-in" games they have now in the NCAA basketball tournament).

I remember trekking down to Schneider Arena, where BU extracted revenge, beating Providence, thus qualifying for the Final Four, where they went on to beat a good Wisconsin team (with Mike Eaves) before toppling BC to win the championship. Ironically, the Final Four was played at the Providence Civic Center (to add insult to injury to the Providence fans, who were NOT happy that BU was given a "second" chance).

If you want a little nostalgia, here is a fantastic recap of that memorable season.
            Last edited by chickod; 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

That's been Maine's theme for many years now

Comment

That's been Maine's theme for many years now
                Well we love. You know that.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                  Courtesy of HE, some interesting notes:

No. 1 Boston College (20-13-4, 18-6-0 HEA) advances to the semifinals for the third straight year after claiming its 16th Hockey East regular season title. No. 4 Boston University (19-13-4, 12-8-4 HEA) advances to the TD Garden for the fourth consecutive season, winning its 12th straight quarterfinal game to do so. It is the second year in a row that the Eagles and Terriers will meet in the Hockey East semifinals. In 2017, the Eagles topped the Terriers, 3-2, to advance to their league-record 17th appearance in the championship contest. Both programs are skating in the Hockey East semifinals for the 24th time, the most of any school in league tournament history. All-time in postseason play, Boston University owns a 9-4 record over Boston College in 10 previous series, including a 3-2 mark in the semifinals. Between the Eagles (11) and Terriers (9), the two programs have claimed 20 of the previous 33 Hockey East Tournament titles. During the regular season, the teams split a pair of Hockey East games, 1-1-0.

but having a brain cramp with this:

All-time in postseason play, Boston University owns a 9-4 record over Boston College in 10 previous series, including a 3-2 mark in the semifinals.
                  BU has only won 8 tournament titles, not nine. This is just another error among many that I have noticed in Hockey East press releases and media guide this season.

As for BU-BC meetings in the Hockey East tournament, they have met three times in the quarterfinals:
                  1992, single game won by BC
                  1993, two games both won by BU
                  2004, three games, series won by BU, 2-1
                  the teams have met five times in the semifinals:
                  2003, BU won
                  2007, BC won
                  2009, BU won
                  2013, BU won
                  2017, BC won
                  the teams have met twice in the championship game
                  1986, BU won
                  2006, BU won
                  10 meetings, 13 games. BU has won 7 meetings and 9 games; BC has won 3 meetings and 4 games.

The teams met three time in the ECAC tournament, all single quarterfinal games:
                  1976, BU won
                  1977, BU won
                  1984, BU won

The teams also met three times in the NEIHL tournament championship game:
                  1949, BC won and was selected to play in the NCAA tournament
                  1950, BC won, both were selected to play in the NCAA tournament
                  1951, BU won and was selected to play in the NCAA tournament

And the teams have met twice in the NCAA tournament:
                  1978, championship game, BU won
                  2006, quarterifnal/regional final, BC won

Sean
                  Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-14-2018, 11:56 PM.
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    And the teams have met twice in the NCAA tournament:
                    1978, championship game, BU won
                    2006, quarterifnal/regional final, BC won
                    It's surprising they have only met twice in the NCAAs. That is just crazy to me.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Should be pretty straight forward tonight...

Gaudette POTY
                      York COTY
                      Primeau or Hutsko ROTY (Based on how these things tend to shake out, I'm expecting them to share it)

Comment

Am I the only one who thought it was very odd Logan Hutsko was omitted from every All-Hockey East teams? I saw five games in person and a number of other games on television, and he was, without question, BC's best player.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                          Am I the only one who thought it was very odd Logan Hutsko was omitted from every All-Hockey East teams? I saw five games in person and a number of other games on television, and he was, without question, BC's best player.
                          Aside from the big three at NU, he's tied with Foley and Greenway at 1 PPG in conference play. Foley made first team and Greenway third team. Only juniors and seniors were picked at forward so I guess being a freshman hurt him in the voting. Who knows.
                          Last edited by J.D.; 03-15-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

In fact he's not even listed as an honorable mention. Doesn't make any sense. Bowers was honorable mention but then when you look at the all rookie team, it says Hutsko was the lone unanimous selection yet not even an honorable mention for all star teams. Different voters?

Comment

In fact he's not even listed as an honorable mention. Doesn't make any sense. Bowers was honorable mention but then when you look at the all rookie team, it says Hutsko was the lone unanimous selection yet not even an honorable mention for all star teams. Different voters?
                              Exactly my point. It just doesn't add up.

And by some of your posts, you seemed to have watched a lot of BC games this year. What did you think of Hutsko?

Comment

Became a different player as the season progressed and down the stretch. Tremendous confidence and skill level off the charts. I really wasn't expecting this from him coming off his previous injury last year etc. Kinda a forgotten recruit in that regard. Didn't know what they would get out of him and it's clear he has the goods. Can stick handle in a phone booth.

Comment

Working...
                                X