LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
    LOL, true. But the one team that UAA beat this season was LSSU.
    I was going to say that same thing.
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Anyone know why Bill Crawford hasnt done the radio play by play the last two games?
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

3 game's he has partially lost his voice.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
          The Lakers are a weak heartless team. I'm dead against Whitten getting any kind of contract extension.
          At the end of the season Whitten needs to be let go. Simply put he has lost this team and they won’t play for him. He never had the pedigree or resume to get the job in the first place, IMHO, and that statement gets more and more validated each season and game.
          Last edited by Truth Serum; 01-13-2018, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
            At the end of the season Whitten needs to be let go. Simply put he has lost this team and they won’t play for him. He never had the pedigree or resume to get the job in the first place, IMHO, and that statement gets more and more validated each season and game.
            We got what we paid for. Lowest or second lowest paid staff in the league. Looking back on it, the previous coach may actually have over achieved. But it was just a few years ago that the same comments were being made about him. The team doesn’t want to play for him. They’ve quit. Etc. Etc. Etc. And the same was said about Frank. And the same stuff was said around town about Scott. Lake Superior State University. Where Sixth Place is a Dream.

Comment

It is time for a change. I thought maybe this coaching staff just needed to wake up and realize they needed to be taught how to coach but they don't have the talent for that . Whitten ,just like Anastos at Mi State , coaching was never your cup of tea and take Metro and York with you . Some of us saw the scam that was used to get Whitten in and we hoped for the best and gave him time but all we got was a coach who never should of been a coach .

Just because a guy calls himself a coach doesn't mean he is a coach and I think that is where this coaching staff falls into . They have the title but they have no talent to be coaches . I would rather watch a team with little talent lose but love playing for the coaching staff then a team that actually seems to have talent but apparently has no desire to play for the coaching staff and I think this is where the Lakers fall into .
              Last edited by sm2pk; 01-13-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                We got what we paid for. Lowest or second lowest paid staff in the league. Looking back on it, the previous coach may actually have over achieved. But it was just a few years ago that the same comments were being made about him. The team doesn’t want to play for him. They’ve quit. Etc. Etc. Etc. And the same was said about Frank. And the same stuff was said around town about Scott. Lake Superior State University. Where Sixth Place is a Dream.
                Sadly I agree. Without an infusion of capital, a coaching change by itself will probably achieve very little. What we do need is total buy in from the administration, involving massive outreach to all and any alums and a search for sponsorship and money across the continent. A huge marketing drive is also needed that reaches all the neighboring counties and into Ontario to bring paying fans to the game. Attendance less than a 1000 is an embarrassment for a D-1 program.
                Last edited by jnacc; 01-13-2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  It is time for a change. I thought maybe this coaching staff just needed to wake up and realize they needed to be taught how to coach but they don't have the talent for that . Whitten ,just like Anastos at Mi State , coaching was never your cup of tea and take Metro and York with you . Some of us saw the scam that was used to get Whitten in and we hoped for the best and gave him time but all we got was a coach who never should of been a coach .

Just because a guy calls himself a coach doesn't mean he is a coach and I think that is where this coaching staff falls into . They have the title but they have no talent to be coaches . I would rather watch a team with little talent lose but love playing for the coaching staff then a team that actually seems to have talent but apparently has no desire to play for the coaching staff and I think this is where the Lakers fall into .
                  I think this says it best. The “hiring committee” was a sham and there were a few people that saw through it from the beginning, (much maligned on here) that have proven to be right in the 3 plus years of Whitten.

That flawed process should be an example for the new ad on what not to do when hiring the new coach.

Comment

Just chiming in from an outsider’s perspective: LSSU has some fundamental problems they’ll need to fix before they can compete again. LSSU has the lowest salary for a head coach and I’m sure the pool for assistants is the smallest as well. Potulny is in his first ever year as a D1 head coach and is making $180,000. Is Lake Superior able to offer that kind of contract to replace Whitten?

I also realize location is something you have no control over. But, the new landscape of D1 hockey means teams won’t travel long distances for OOC games. That means you’ll either have to start offering money games, playing 3 or 2-for-1s, or playing most of your OOC games on the road. Playing WCHA teams for OOC games will do nothing to re-build your program.

LSSU is one of my favorite non-BG teams. I just wonder if the finances are there for the Lakers to ever compete for a home playoff spot.
                    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Finally some offense! And they didn't collapse after Ferris got the 2 quick goals to tie it.

Comment

Why didn't the Lakers play like this the night before?
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          Why didn't the Lakers play like this the night before?
                          Or most of the season! I would like to know the reasons myself.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

I hope the coaches and some of the players have read what has been posted here the last day or so . Maybe it lit a fire under their butts . They still need wins to make the play offs and it will be a tough rest of the season to play . Good win and come out hungrier next week .

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              I hope the coaches and some of the players have read what has been posted here the last day or so . Maybe it lit a fire under their butts . They still need wins to make the play offs and it will be a tough rest of the season to play . Good win and come out hungrier next week .
                              The team finished 7th last year and lost dome pretty key players like Morgan, Bindulis, Defeils, Hults & Headrick. Did you really expect them to be “improved?”

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                                The team finished 7th last year and lost dome pretty key players like Morgan, Bindulis, Defeils, Hults & Headrick. Did you really expect them to be “improved?”
                                I have a hard time believing the talent level on this team is so poor that they are scraping to make the playoffs in a very weak conference, and all but 2 teams are ranked worse than them in all of college hockey. College hockey powerhouses like AIC, Sacred Heart and Bentley are better teams and possess more talent?

Whitten promised a lot of things, and many people on here were singing his praises of all these recruits and better leagues they were scouting, promises of having the best conditioned team and a new high octane offense. I think it’s safe to say we are seeing none of that.

The question has also been asked why so many players are or have left early under this head coach, and why he has so many troubles in the locker room and motivating his players for more than just an night or game here and there.

With people staying away in record low numbers for attendance, and the majority of laker fans expecting a little bit better, it’s safe to say the excuses , wait until next year, and woe is me because of lack of funding attitude is wearing a bit thin on those who don’t have a vested interest in keeping this coach around.

Comment

Working...
                                X