LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

I think tonight was the first game Wright did not play in his time at LSSU.

Comment

Out scored 15 to 1 in their last three games. Starting to wonder if there is anyone left they can beat this season .

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
        I think tonight was the first game Wright did not play in his time at LSSU.
        He has been playing a little banged up recently. Once Ruggerio was given the OK to play, someone else on D was going to sit last night. Ruggerio is supposed to be a very good skater and that's something we definitely need more of at D. I assume either the coaches thought Renz has been playing better than Wright lately or maybe Wright still isn't 100% healthy and that was the basis for their decision on who sits at D last night.

Comment

8 straight periods now without scoring a single goal. Brutal.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            It is kind of ironic. We blamed Roque for not trying to recruit players from the USHL and BCHL and now we have a coach who is recruiting from those leagues as much as possible and things are not better if not worse .
            Yeah, and Whitten's budget is $75K more than his predecessor's was and he's still not getting it done. Roque had the ability to take a no name player who was not being recruited elsewhere and turn him into something, i.e. Czuczman, Trotman, Monardo, Olesky, etc.

A head coach has to put together a team where the pieces fit together. It’s not about recruiting the same or even the best player sometimes. It's about putting that fourth line together and those kids accepting the role and grinding it out ... or putting together a D pair that can always match up against the other teams top line. I don't see Whitten doing this unfortunately.
            http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

Seems the Lakers may need to win 75% of their remaining league games to make the play-offs . First half they lost 75% of their league games .

Comment

Much better outing tonight (and for the series overall). Great for McKay to earn his first.
                Could have won it, but that's the way she goes.
                We need to stop taking those major penalties.
                Ruggiero sounded okay, though it sounded as though a miscue by him led directly to a goal. Hopefully it was just cobwebs.
                Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                  Much better outing tonight (and for the series overall). Great for McKay to earn his first.
                  Could have won it, but that's the way she goes.
                  We need to stop taking those major penalties.
                  Ruggiero sounded okay, though it sounded as though a miscue by him led directly to a goal. Hopefully it was just cobwebs.
                  I agree. Hopefully Erikkson's injury isn't too serious. We were pretty shorthanded at D for a number of games due to injuries; now we're getting that way at forward.

Comment

Give Damon more time.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Give Damon more time.

GFM
                      We will find out this spring.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        Give Damon more time.

GFM
                        I tend to agree with this statement.

To me, it seems like a lot of the struggles this season stems from certain players just not getting it done. Certainly that's not the only issue, but when a guy you stick into the lineup due to injury or to shake things up decides they don't want to come out and play, what can you really do? Sure, you could only field 5 D-men, but then someone is double shifting, and you're punishing those players who want to play. Same goes for running 3 and a half lines (this weekend excluded).

I think the second half of the season will really tell what the offseason will be like. Hopefully with Ruggerio being in the lineup, that'll push some of the...weaker players to sit upstairs, like McArdle or Anderson. Those two, to me, feel like the weakest parts of the blueline.

When Miura gets back into skating shape, likely after the holidays, I hope Damon & Co. will be able to make at least 2 really good lines. I only listened to part of the game Friday, but it sounded like the Cugglieta was looking good & getting shots to the net, albeit with no results. Miura was arguably the fastest player I saw on the ice when they had their inter-squad game back at the start of the season.

But with it being the break, and a week and a half out from the Pittsburgh tournament, I would be looking for press releases. My gut is telling me that we're going to be losing some players during the break. Some of these problem children just make it seem like they don't want to be up here. I have nothing to substantiate this, but I think I'd be more surprised if there wasn't some shake up.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Huntsville is finally turning the corner in Corbett's fifth year. Trust me, a number of our fans were ready to see him go by the end of the third, which was unwarranted. LSSU was never as low under Roque as UAH was under the threat of dissolution, but it's a ways away up from the bottom.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I think Whitton deserves more time . I just want the coaching staff to take a good hard look at themselves and find out who is struggling and why and teach ,not coach those players, but teach them how to fix their mistakes .

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                              But with it being the break, and a week and a half out from the Pittsburgh tournament, I would be looking for press releases. My gut is telling me that we're going to be losing some players during the break. Some of these problem children just make it seem like they don't want to be up here. I have nothing to substantiate this, but I think I'd be more surprised if there wasn't some shake up.
                              We're really thin at forward now from a numbers standpoint and we have 3 guys with injuries (Gelsinger, Miura, Erikkson), so I'm not so sure that we'll lose players at the break. Could happen I guess but it won't surprise me if it doesn't. Losing anyone at forward would likely mean bringing in someone as replacement(s) right away. That can be a difficult adjustment for a new player mid-season, especially for someone from juniors rather than a transfer like Ruggerio. Even if we do add anyone, it wouldn't necessarily mean we'd lose someone else.
                              Last edited by Bill; 12-18-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                We're really thin at forward now from a numbers standpoint and we have 3 guys with injuries (Gelsinger, Miura, Erikkson), so I'm not so sure that we'll lose players at the break. Could happen I guess but it won't surprise me if it doesn't. Losing anyone at forward would likely mean bringing in someone as replacement(s) right away. That can be a difficult adjustment for a new player mid-season, especially for someone from juniors rather than a transfer like Ruggerio.
                                I can just see a few players transferring to D3, or if any of them are still eligible for Juniors, there. It's not something I want to see in the least, but I just can't shake the feeling. And I'd rather see a guy herefor 4 full years rather than 3.5, let alone the whole issue of starting classes halfway through the year & whatnot.
                                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X