Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Originally posted by MDtoGf View Post
    Hi there, so myself and my wife have followed Mitens and covered him since his U18 Worlds for Latvia. We had a chance to cover the game and talk to Mitens and Miura afterwords. Anyway, below is the link to her photos from the game, and my game recap. Feel free to use the photos for stuff, just credit Kelsey Lee of Violent Turtle Photography. Copy and paste the links to your browser if hyperlinks don't work. Lake State did an outstanding job clearing rebounds away from Mitens, and his ability to anticipate tips and deflections was awesome.

https://seamoresports.com/2018/02/04...dji-state-2-0/

Copy and paste the below link for photos

goo.gl/vEogwc
    Thanks for the story and photos. Mitens has had a rough season. The team hasn't played very well in front of him defensively (or offensively) until last night. Both Kossoff and Mitens have let in some soft goals at times. From the couple of times I've seen him play, Mitens does seem to have talent; he just needs to be a little more consistent. Overall the Lakers have played pretty decently the past few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Thanks for the story and photos. Mitens has had a rough season. The team hasn't played very well in front of him defensively (or offensively) until last night. Both Kossoff and Mitens have let in some soft goals at times. From the couple of times I've seen him play, Mitens does seem to have talent; he just needs to be a little more consistent. Overall the Lakers have played pretty decently the past few weeks.
      No problem! Hoping the Lakers get a few more Bindulis types that can help out. We saw Mitens for the first time when he made 44 saves in an otl vs Sweden in the U18's. If he has a consistent team in front of him he has shown what he can do in Aston last year just as a sample.

Comment

Originally posted by MDtoGf View Post
        No problem! Hoping the Lakers get a few more Bindulis types that can help out. We saw Mitens for the first time when he made 44 saves in an otl vs Sweden in the U18's. If he has a consistent team in front of him he has shown what he can do in Aston last year just as a sample.
        Bindulis would have been better off staying in school for another two seasons, or at least one more. He didn't even get in a full season last year due to an injury. A lot of these kids see that contract offer in front of them and grab it right away. Even if they sign early, college players staying through their junior year tend to have more success in the pros.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Bindulis would have been better off staying in school for another two seasons, or at least one more. He didn't even get in a full season last year due to an injury. A lot of these kids see that contract offer in front of them and grab it right away. Even if they sign early, college players staying through their junior year tend to have more success in the pros.
          Why do you feel that playing in to Soo would be of greater benefit than playing more games against better competition in Charleston and Hershey? In Charleston, he’ll get far more looks and instruction from NHLpersonnel than he would in the Soo, where anything above casual contact is not allowed.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Why do you feel that playing in to Soo would be of greater benefit than playing more games against better competition in Charleston and Hershey? In Charleston, he’ll get far more looks and instruction from NHLpersonnel than he would in the Soo, where anything above casual contact is not allowed.
            Dave, I don't know the actual source (study) but on a number of occasions I've seen/heard that studies have shown that most college players who sign pro contracts and leave school early fare far better if they wait until they've played their junior year. Better in this case meaning making it to the NHL or at least playing most of their pro career in the AHL. Now for most of your really high end skilled (NHL draft) players that start college at younger age than most other guys, it probably doesn't matter that much when a kid leaves college. Those guys are probably going to make it to NHL/AHL anyway. But for guys that aren't drafted and sign free agent contracts, the ones that do well at the pro level are those who stay through their junior year. Many of the ones that leave earlier evidently languish in the ECHL or maybe eventually make it to the AHL. Not many make it to the NHL; some do. Not just my opinion. I've seen/heard it stated a number of times.

In Bindulis case, he went from juniors (NAHL) to less than a full season with the Lakers (injury problems). I wish him the best and hope he makes it to the NHL some day, but I would have been surprised if he played any place other than the ECHL for most of this season (and maybe even for one or more seasons to come). I just think he would have been better off playing another season or two with the Lakers where if nothing else he would have gotten more experience playing at a higher speed (than juniors) in the college game before turning pro. Additionally, for these kids that commit to playing Div 1 college, it would be nice to see them stay in school longer to better their chances of eventually getting a degree. I think it's far more likely that a kid who played 3 seasons in college will go back and finish his degree than a kid who plays only 1 season (or even 2).

If these kids that sign free agent contracts stay through their Junior or Sophomore years, they're probably going to start off at the ECHL or AHL level anyway so they will still get the NHL looks and instruction that you refer to. Their odds of doing better at the pro level are just better.

Comment

Dave, I don't know the actual source (study) but on a number of occasions I've seen/heard that studies have shown that most college players who sign pro contracts and leave school early fare far better if they wait until they've played their junior year. Better in this case meaning making it to the NHL or at least playing most of their pro career in the AHL. Now for most of your really high end skilled (NHL draft) players that start college at younger age than most other guys, it probably doesn't matter that much when a kid leaves college. Those guys are probably going to make it to NHL/AHL anyway. But for guys that aren't drafted and sign free agent contracts, the ones that do well at the pro level are those who stay through their junior year. Many of the ones that leave earlier evidently languish in the ECHL or maybe eventually make it to the AHL. Not many make it to the NHL; some do. Not just my opinion. I've seen/heard it stated a number of times.

In Bindulis case, he went from juniors (NAHL) to less than a full season with the Lakers (injury problems). I wish him the best and hope he makes it to the NHL some day, but I would have been surprised if he played any place other than the ECHL for most of this season (and maybe even for one or more seasons to come). I just think he would have been better off playing another season or two with the Lakers where if nothing else he would have gotten more experience playing at a higher speed (than juniors) in the college game before turning pro. Additionally, for these kids that commit to playing Div 1 college, it would be nice to see them stay in school longer to better their chances of eventually getting a degree. I think it's far more likely that a kid who played 3 seasons in college will go back and finish his degree than a kid who plays only 1 season (or even 2).

If these kids that sign free agent contracts stay through their Junior or Sophomore years, they're probably going to start off at the ECHL or AHL level anyway so they will still get the NHL looks and instruction that you refer to. Their odds of doing better at the pro level are just better.
              Honestly, none of that really applies here. With the signing bonus and contract terms Bindulis received for going Pro, he could return back to Latvia later in his career to play whether he goes to the NHL or not and live just fine the rest of his life. The cost of living in Latvia is about 1/2 as much as New York City and it was named one of the 50 cheapest countries to live in. Who knows what could have happened had he stayed at LSSU. He could have improved and had a better chance of getting to the NHL and a degree, or he could have got hurt and the dream (and money) could have gone up in smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
                Honestly, none of that really applies here. With the signing bonus and contract terms Bindulis received for going Pro, he could return back to Latvia later in his career to play whether he goes to the NHL or not and live just fine the rest of his life. The cost of living in Latvia is about 1/2 as much as New York City and it was named one of the 50 cheapest countries to live in. Who knows what could have happened had he stayed at LSSU. He could have improved and had a better chance of getting to the NHL and a degree, or he could have got hurt and the dream (and money) could have gone up in smoke.
                Which is why I've always said it was hard to be mad at Bindulis for leaving early, though I do think it was a bit dumb.
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

We have a new verbal commitment, Miroslav Mucha, a forward from Minot of the NAHL. He's a 97 birthdate so he'll be with the Lakers next season. Adding to the international mix on the team; he's from Slovakia.

http://www.minotauroshockey.com/much...-to-lake-state

Comment

Nice OT win for the Lakers. This late season surge keeps their playoff hopes alive, at least mathematically. Depending upon what happens tonight and how Ferris does at Mankato next weekend, the regular season ending series at Ferris may very well determine their fate.

Comment

They need to keep playing the way they have the last three games.

Comment

Nice OT win for the Lakers. This late season surge keeps their playoff hopes alive, at least mathematically. Depending upon what happens tonight and how Ferris does at Mankato next weekend, the regular season ending series at Ferris may very well determine their fate.
                        They have to hope to win tonight and then be big Minnesota State fans next weekend. You've got to love the chance to determine your postseason on that last weekend.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          They have to hope to win tonight and then be big Minnesota State fans next weekend. You've got to love the chance to determine your postseason on that last weekend.

GFM
                          We're almost in a "have to win out" situation to make the playoffs; not quite. If we lose tonight, we would still be within reach of Ferris as long as they don't win a game at Mankato next weekend. But yeah it will likely take at least a sweep at Ferris the last weekend of the regular season for the Lakers to make the playoffs. A win tonight would certainly help, and even give us a bit more of a chance to maybe catch you guys or Fairbanks, although I think the best chance of us catching anybody will be catching Ferris. No easy task mo matter what way you look at it.

Comment

We're almost in a "have to win out" situation to make the playoffs; not quite. If we lose tonight, we would still be within reach of Ferris as long as they don't win a game at Mankato next weekend. But yeah it will likely take at least a sweep at Ferris the last weekend of the regular season for the Lakers to make the playoffs. A win tonight would certainly help, and even give us a bit more of a chance to maybe catch you guys or Fairbanks, although I think the best chance of us catching anybody will be catching Ferris. No easy task mo matter what way you look at it.
                            If the Lakers win tonight, and Ferris is swept by Mankato, the Lakers would only need 4 points at Ferris the last weekend.

Comment

Yeah, being seven FOUR points back with FSU having a game in hand isn't ideal.

GFM
                              Last edited by gfmorris; 02-10-2018, 06:27 PM. Reason: Bill is right - just making sure that subsequent readers aren't confused.
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Yeah, being seven points back with FSU having a game in hand isn't ideal.

GFM
                                We're only 4 points back after last night. We're off next weekend while they are at Mankato.

Comment

Working...
                                X