Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Doing my best to cope with bone spurs in my right ankle and arthritis in the same foot.

I thought "Arthur" was an old person's malady. I was sadly mistaken.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

You can get gout at pretty much any age. IIRC, it's the most common form of arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You can get gout at pretty much any age. IIRC, it's the most common form of arthritis.
    Yes. I have learned this. And I have this sense that I did it to myself.

So I'm on running hiatus until I get insoles.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Well, gout is usually aggravated by diet choices, particularly over-consumption of alcohol and meat/seafood, and being obese.

Sounds like what you have may have been from all your years of running on hard pavement and in improper footwear. That's why my dad needed hip replacements.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Well, gout is usually aggravated by diet choices, particularly over-consumption of alcohol and meat/seafood, and being obese.

Sounds like what you have may have been from all your years of running on hard pavement and in improper footwear. That's why my dad needed hip replacements.
    Actually it is not obese- it is rapid loss of wt that is more at risk and also being female.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Well, gout is usually aggravated by diet choices, particularly over-consumption of alcohol and meat/seafood,..
    a.k.a. rich man's disease
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    a.k.a. rich man's disease
    It was rumored that Kim Jong Un had it a few years ago when he disappeared from public for awhile. Too much imported wine and cheese.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Not even that. It's lack of Vitamin "R." Rest wasn't a part of the equation for so long... and I am paying for it now.

Either way, the orthotics are in.
    ― Franz Kafka

And ****, do they make a difference. Started running again on Wednesday, and nothing hurts as much. Still testing out for marathons and stuff, but it feels good to go.
    ― Franz Kafka

Perhaps Kep is right, and we're really not far off from viable and easily reversible male birth control.

Perhaps Kep is right, and we're really not far off from viable and easily reversible male birth control.
    Can't wait for the usual suspects to tell us why this makes Baby Jesus cry.

But all we need is a breakthrough somewhere. Even if the Papists and Pencian Perverts make this illegal to even whisper about in Gilead, one country making it available will make it more popular than cocaine. Being able to load or unload your pistol at will and in complete privacy is essentially the dream that men came down from the trees for. Well, that and Korean BBQ.

It's going to lead to some very unpleasant domestic conversations. "I'm going to be a Mom!" "You're going back to Mom."
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Tumbtack.

Step on it and you go limp.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Tumbtack.

Step on it and you go limp.
    That and an aspirin constitutes the entirety of conservative reproductive science.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

So I left work early to go to the ER for an abscess on my left calf that had started bleeding. Definitely infected. Trying to drain this thing does not seem to be going well.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    So I left work early to go to the ER for an abscess on my left calf that had started bleeding. Definitely infected. Trying to drain this thing does not seem to be going well.
    Don't watch Dr. Pimple Popper videos then.

I do wonder - what is the impact of these hormonal oral contraceptives, not just on fertility in the short-to-medium term, but also on the entire endocrine system and hormone levels in the long-term (10+ years)?

I realize, as a dude in 2019, this is rich since women have been taking them for decades, but it's definitely a legit question. Have there been long-term studies on women (even though I know we don't care about them here in America /sarc)?

I do wonder - what is the impact of these hormonal oral contraceptives, not just on fertility in the short-to-medium term, but also on the entire endocrine system and hormone levels in the long-term (10+ years)?

I realize, as a dude in 2019, this is rich since women have been taking them for decades, but it's definitely a legit question. Have there been long-term studies on women (even though I know we don't care about them here in America /sarc)?
    For women, there is an increased risk for Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, and Liver Cancer by taking oral contraceptives. There is also a risk for clot formation (DVT- deep vein thrombosis or Pulmonary Embolism). In addition, weight gain, increased blood pressure, stroke, MI. Again, the risks are low (and depend on a few variables), but they are present. It can increase the risk of pancreatitis in people taking it who have an elevated triglyceride level. There is also a risk of development of ulcerative colitis and crohns.

(Info from MayoClinc and Up To Date).
    Last edited by bostonewe; 03-30-2019 at 12:25 AM.

I think there's a lot to be said for the genetic competent to cancer, just like other conditions. Yes, things like smoking, alcohol/drugs, and diet (especially sugar) play a role in accelerating or triggering the genes, but ultimately, it comes down to the raw odds.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Don't watch Dr. Pimple Popper videos then.
    I was actually going to start searching for those tomorrow for some techniques.

The worst part is the inconsistency of the pain. When I stand up or walk around it can be anywhere from a 0-6

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    For women, there is an increased risk for Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, and Liver Cancer by taking oral contraceptives. There is also a risk for clot formation (DVT- deep vein thrombosis or Pulmonary Embolism). In addition, weight gain, increased blood pressure, stroke, MI. Again, the risks are low (and depend on a few variables), but they are present. It can increase the risk of pancreatitis in people taking it who have an elevated triglyceride level. There is also a risk of development of ulcerative colitis and crohns.

(Info from MayoClinc and Up To Date).
    Interesting. This is kind of a bugaboo for me. I have primary relative with Ovarian CA and was put on OCs to prevent. The Nurses Study has shown OCs were PREVENTATIVE when taken LT for Ovarian CA. Risk of Ovarian CA went down by a huge margin (something like 80% if you were on OCs for >15 months). The findings for risks for Breast CA are all over the place- yes, no, maybe, it this then that... They find risk is related to increasing age and the risk reverts to baseline a short time after D/C. (or at least that was the latest I saw.)

The risks listed are compiled from all yrs and include the pills where level of hormone was massive. The current pills have levels exponentially less since the start of availability. They have to list things but they are not blanket risks. I hate stuff that lumps everything together and doesn't qualify what is connected to what. (FDA label requires it and medico-legally they do it every time). Lumping all the info together is the equivalent to saying a person in a white hoodie killed someone so everyone wearing a hoodie of any sort is dangerous. It is really a pain when trying to help people make decisions re what is the best choice for them. Things like TRG, DVT, CVA, MI are both dose related and related to particular types of estrogen or progesterone. People with inflammatory disease have both excellent results (estrogen is an antiinflammatory) and nasty results. Wt gain is very much related to type and amt of progesterone. There are certain people who should never have them (the 2 ppd smoker in late 30s that my colleague decided to give OCs to and got a PE- stupid and avoidable) and some people where the risk of pregnancy could be life threatening and OCs provide minimal risk.

Overall women should only ovulate about 25 times in life- natural is get pregnant (9 months), nurse 9 months or so before becoming fertile- get pregnant again- rinse lather repeat. If no BC and no pregnancy, can ovulate up to 450 times. They postulate this may be the cause of increases in risk of reproductive CAs. No win situation!

Haven't seen as much about the male one yet. Any time you mess with nature there are risks. The female one is theoretically correcting for our subverting nature in the first place so although you correct for particular hormones there are also known benefits (decreased anemia, decreased risk of Ovarian CA, decreased scarring from endometriosis....). I would be curious to see if there are unintentional benefits to suppressing the testosterone loop- like decreased lipids for one. Excess Testosterone activity in pills increase the risk.

Sorry- kind of a geek about OCs. I was the go to person in my practice when a person needed to have them managed or was having SE.
    Last edited by leswp1; 03-30-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Thread Information